To sell, or not to sell. Advice from you!

69 replies to this topic

Poll: Being an honest seller, Should Johnny sell his bike in what condition?! (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Being an honest seller, Should Johnny sell his bike in what condition?!

1. Completely fixed and READY to RIDE. No matter the cost. (16 votes [19.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.75%

2. Not fixed, letting the new owner worry about "the fix". (41 votes [50.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.62%

3. Keep it, buying another XR as a parts bike and make this one right (14 votes [17.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.28%

4. OTHER - As in, don't go to the dark side of buying a KTM! (10 votes [12.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • JohnnyAirtime

Posted January 31, 2005 - 09:31 PM

I thought you were selling XR650R parts no buying them:smirk:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=35601

:cry: Man, I can't get away from being detected! :cry:

I'm a man of oppurtunity, and those wheels and tires are an oppurtunity for either me... or better yet my other bazillion XR buddies. Some of them never venture onto Ebay... So all I'm doing is looking out for ALL best interests. :cry:

I guess that's what I get for using my user name here, there, and just about everywhere huh?! :cry:

.. now technically, I haven't bought anything. Nor am I selling parts as of yet. :cry:

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted February 11, 2005 - 04:20 PM

Well folks....

I'm in the process of fixing. :D

The list of parts has been submitted to repair (from the mechanic), and with the cylinder head needing some machining (for the valve seats...etc) $250 at Motorworks... and the labor $250 for the R&R of the motor and parts... I'm at about $1200-$1300.

That's with sh1t canning my cam from <that one place> and adding a Stage 1 cam (hot cam)... (very similar to the HRC cam).... blah blah.... :)

But now, with a very well known and trustworthy, honest, kind of a mechanic and parts supplier... it should be up and running here real soon.

SO sorry fellas... no parts bike! It'll be up and running like new. :D

Thanks for all your ideas, and such!!!!
It truly helps. And it is nice to know you all appreciate honesty over anything ... and would accept a broken bike as a #1 choice.

:) :p to you all!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 11, 2005 - 04:27 PM

Well folks....

I'm in the process of fixing. :D

The list of parts has been submitted to repair (from the mechanic), and with the cylinder head needing some machining (for the valve seats...etc) $250 at Motorworks... and the labor $250 for the R&R of the motor and parts... I'm at about $1200-$1300.

That's with sh1t canning my cam from <that one place> and adding a Stage 1 cam (hot cam)... (very similar to the HRC cam).... blah blah.... :D

But now, with a very well known and trustworthy, honest, kind of a mechanic and parts supplier... it should be up and running here real soon.

SO sorry fellas... no parts bike! It'll be up and running like new. :)

Thanks for all your ideas, and such!!!!
It truly helps. And it is nice to know you all appreciate honesty over anything ... and would accept a broken bike as a #1 choice.

:) :o to you all!

Just curious, is the pumkin still in your future? :p

Posted February 21, 2005 - 07:39 PM

Johnny, Caught this post kind of late and saw your puttin it back together again. Follow up with us and let us know how it goes with the build if ya would. Ill keep my fingers crossed for ya on gettin past that 80 mile mark this time :)

• Husky_Forever

Posted February 21, 2005 - 08:00 PM

Send engine to Barums for his 680 kit and have engine rebuilt and crank balanced at same time. Issue solved and if you want to sell it later, it will be running right.

• TimBrp

Posted February 22, 2005 - 09:30 AM

Send engine to Barums for his 680 kit and have engine rebuilt and crank balanced at same time. Issue solved and if you want to sell it later, it will be running right.

HeH..I don't think Johnnys' gonna take that path......Again.

• qadsan

Posted February 22, 2005 - 09:36 AM

HeH..I don't think Johnnys' gonna take that path......Again.

I don't think Barnums ever did any of the work, however they did sell him the cam if memory serves me correctly.

• TimBrp

Posted February 22, 2005 - 12:02 PM

I don't think Barnums ever did any of the work, however they did sell him the cam if memory serves me correctly.

Good call Qadsan. Barnums did NOT do any of the work. My reply was to state, I don't think Johnny will go that same route again with regards to dealings with Barnum.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted February 23, 2005 - 01:49 PM

Correcto-mundo.....

Barnums never did the work.
But they did in the beginning; sell me a Carillo Rod, and mate it to my hardware... and sell me a "mild" cam (as Rob put it). And again... No, I won't be taking anything I own to Barnums... the drive is just too far. :D :) :p

It'll be pretty much stock, with oversized valves (Black Diamond) and Kibble White Valve train. With the Hot Cam.... Everything else will be replaced or touched in one way or another. As an example... new cam gear...etc.

I decided against the Pumpkin Patch (SXC 625).... as my bike is still a great runner... well, when it's running. :)

I'll let you guys know when it's together. Should be soon. I just received most of the parts, and the head will soon be sent off with the valves... I'm gettin' pretty excited to have her back. And even more excited to be able to run the distance... without being towed!!! Better yet... to get a WHOLE RIDE of video so I can complete my DvD (movie) Documentary.

• qadsan

Posted February 23, 2005 - 02:22 PM

Why did you go with the oversized valves? Did they cut your seats with a SERDI machine or grind them? Just curous. It was my understanding that once you went to oversized valves on the 650r, that there might not be enough room for another valve job if you should ever need it (not enough material left), but I don't know for sure :) I do like the KW parts and plan to use them when I get to the point of needling valves :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JohnnyAirtime

Posted February 23, 2005 - 02:55 PM

My bust....
I ordered stock size. :)

I was going to order oversized (by advice)... and was advised by too many not to bother unless I planned on the 680 kit. And I don't.

SO... qadsan, I'm back to stock sized valves. :)

• qadsan

Posted February 24, 2005 - 09:25 AM

As I said, I don't know how true that it, but I've heard it from a couple different people which would make me at least questions it. As for the 680 kit, I know Barnums still recommends and uses the stock sized KW valves for his own personal bike and the 680's he builds (proven reliabiity / better durability) and only did the larger valves at the request of a customer from what he told me the last time I spoke to him about this. I keep teeter tottering about the 680 kit, but I think there's less probability than ever that I'll be getting one in the near future as things just haven't been going my way health wise. Unfortunately, my bikes may remained parked much more than I hoped this year :)

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 24, 2005 - 11:25 AM

I keep teeter tottering about the 680 kit, but I think there's less probability than ever that I'll be getting one in the near future as things just haven't been going my way health wise. Unfortunately, my bikes may remained parked much more than I hoped this year :)

I hope it's not too serious qadsan. My heart kinda sank a bit when I read that.
:)

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted February 24, 2005 - 11:32 AM

Ya.. me too.
Get better!!!

And... for the record, my heart sank MORE when you said you were having health problems... :) and a tad bit over the bikes sittin' in the garage. :)

:p

• qadsan

Posted February 24, 2005 - 12:11 PM

Unfortunately, I've got some long term health issues that won't go away. I've been managing them for a number of years and I've been quite lucky on part of this because things definitely could have been lot worse. I've had a very good run over the last couple years considering everything and I'm thankful for that. I'm counting on things improving to the point where I'll be spending more time in the saddle again later this year or next, even if I have to take things a bit slower :)

• HooliKen

Posted February 24, 2005 - 06:04 PM

Dude do yourself and the rest of the honest riding public a favor and be 100% honest with what you are dealing with (not saying you wouldn't be!!) My feelings on this are simple.......with a single cylinder engine....if you cannot fix it yourself than find a different hobby. Forgive me if this seems harsh or whatever but single cylinder internal combustion engines have been around for over 100 years....yes that is a century. There inner "werkins" are no longer a mystery and any mechanic that can call themselves a mechanic cannot "F" one up to the point of not running for the desired time frame.....whether it be one race or one season. Sorry you have had a run of bad luck but replacing your Honda with a KTM is not going to solve you issues. KTMs are notoriously maintenance intensive and I would hate to see you go down a road that you obviously have been down before. So pony up the bucks for a new or (known quality motor) for the XR and ride on bro!! And for those that do not like this post............ :)

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Dude do yourself and the rest of the honest riding public a favor and be 100% honest with what you are dealing with (not saying you wouldn't be!!) My feelings on this are simple.......with a single cylinder engine....if you cannot fix it yourself than find a different hobby. Forgive me if this seems harsh or whatever but single cylinder internal combustion engines have been around for over 100 years....yes that is a century. There inner "werkins" are no longer a mystery and any mechanic that can call themselves a mechanic cannot "F" one up to the point of not running for the desired time frame.....whether it be one race or one season. Sorry you have had a run of bad luck but replacing your Honda with a KTM is not going to solve you issues. KTMs are notoriously maintenance intensive and I would hate to see you go down a road that you obviously have been down before. So pony up the bucks for a new or (known quality motor) for the XR and ride on bro!! And for those that do not like this post............ :)

Let me address your post with a few comments;

"Be honest with what I'm dealing with?" you say.
Naaa... I'm a stupid guy who knows nothing and has no common sense... :) Come on... save it. Like anyone else... I've made mistakes. Like anyone else, I've had bad luck. Like anyone else... I speak my mind. And like anyone else... I will continue to speak and post my findings as well as comments.

"If I can't fix it, get a different hobby?" you say.
You've got to be kidding?! If I had the ability to fix every single one of my hobbies, repair anything and everything (which is pretty close to my skills, which you HAVE NO IDEA... and I don't care if you do) and do what you say... and so did everyone in the hobby... ALL the shops would be out of business. Please, use real world here. Not fantasy with everyone being chief mechanic on the trail.

"Mechanics ability?" you say.
Sure... bad luck was on my side. But also, saving $300 to fix it myself isn't my idea of a good idea at this point. And paying a "good" mechanic is something that I don't have a problem with. However, when I asked for advice... and asked the supposed 'right' person, I got what I paid for. Now I'm paying a top mechanic for his advice, and his skills. Not a problem, nor should it be. For me it's not. For you... who cares. Why would you even be so concerned?!

"Replaceing my Honda with a KTM?" you say.
Again, this is something to do when you have an oppurtunity. Just because you rant and rave about your new XR (coming from 2 strokes - the easiest thing in the world to work on) it doesn't mean moving to a KTM is a problem. Not for me, nor anyone. I saw a window... and was going to make the move. However, after comparing the two... I chose to rework my beloved XR. Who cares if I move or not?! You surely should not.

"And for those who do not like this post".... Who cares if you don't like it. DON'T READ it. Just turn and go on to something else. If I cared to hear some one-sided opinions, I'd come back to ask you more. However... I'm not interested. If you notice, this post has moved on... the bike is being repaired. So should you move on. Move on to something productive.

There's no need to hear from you again... since you don't like this post... just stay away from it. That's what would be 'productive'.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted May 02, 2005 - 08:13 AM

Well.....

With great regret I post once again to this topic.

After again, spending about a $1g in parts and service work (having the valves seated...etc), I had again a new top end, cam, valves...etc. The 'new' mechanic had it done and put his own hours on it... to break it in and make sure he delivered a solid bike. (in case you lost count... this is the THIRD time it's been repaired or worked on...)

I took the bike out to the dez to put some hours on it... but it was just too hot. I ended up riding it about 10miles with my GF on the back. Never getting out of third gear or gettin on it too much.

I took it out yesterday... (thank goodness our Baja Ride was not gonna happen as too many people bailed out on the ride) on the local streets... opened it up after 3 miles or so from my house on a lone part of the road. Up at about 5th gear and gettin' on it... It fell on it's face. With a "bap"... and a "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...." (since it was in gear and turning the motor over)... I came to a stop. It sounded like a valve to piston issue again.... but ya know, it shouldn't have been. All the pre-work and assembly was done... all the i and t's dotted and crossed. It's OBVIOUSLY something else... but not a glaring issue.

The mechanic said he'd warranty the motor when he gave it back to me... so I've left him a message. AND... I've also called a buddy about his LOW mileage street legal '03 650 for sale. I think I'm going to run from my demons in my bike and swap parts to this other.... AFTER the motor is repaired from the BOTTOM up again. Not from top down.

SOOOOoooooo.... It's a matter of time before you see me advertising all kinds of XR parts... aftermarket and stock. :naughty:

ANY TTer takes precedence over an Ebay ad... cuz if it won't sell here... it will on Ebay, and that's where I'll put the parts if they're not "pre-reserved" here on TT. Watch for my list soon to come. :naughty:

... I swear my luck lately is the worst ...

And I know this site is based on opinion, but if you have nothing positive to say that I (or we) can learn from... Don't bother posting it!! I don't care to hear it.

• frankstr

Posted May 02, 2005 - 11:19 AM

I keeping my eyes open for that list.... :naughty:

• SIEKMANN

Posted May 02, 2005 - 01:06 PM

well i personally would make it a parts bike. I'm not a big fan of KTMs but I have heard good things about them. I have always rode honda's and think they are the way to go :naughty: . either way good luck :naughty:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.