To sell, or not to sell. Advice from you!

69 replies to this topic

Poll: Being an honest seller, Should Johnny sell his bike in what condition?! (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Being an honest seller, Should Johnny sell his bike in what condition?!

1. Completely fixed and READY to RIDE. No matter the cost. (16 votes [19.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.75%

2. Not fixed, letting the new owner worry about "the fix". (41 votes [50.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.62%

3. Keep it, buying another XR as a parts bike and make this one right (14 votes [17.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.28%

4. OTHER - As in, don't go to the dark side of buying a KTM! (10 votes [12.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • JohnnyAirtime

Posted January 31, 2005 - 12:04 AM

Ok all...
My beloved XR650 is now, once again... in parts.

If any of you reading this have read or know the story behind it... please, save the comments and just focus on the upcoming question. :cry:

First;
Bought new parts for a 'burning oil' XR ($1000). Had it fixed (+ $400), and rode it 80miles for it to bend valves due to the piston not being releaved. Issue #1.

Second;
Fixed the bent valve issue.... ($500) and again, at almost the same spot 80miles into the ride, the motor once again went South. Now it was a bearing that had torn through the top end. Dead bike.

Now, the bike is apart. Meaning, top end is off. And the bottom end will be taken apart and looked into for more damage. It needs to be rebuilt obviously, and this is where the questions come.

1- Do I fix the bike (with all intent to make it right), and sell it?!
(as I'm thinking of buying a KTM 625SXC and makeing it streetable)
2- Do I NOT fix it, and sell it as is. Less top end on the motor?!
3- Do I buy a used or new motor (if I can find one) and replace mine with it.... selling it anyway as I'm now set on this KTM Pumpkin thing!!!!?

My dilemna here guys is....
WOULD YOU Rather buy a bike with a 'new' motor that someone built??
OR... buy a bike, less motor and have it done yourself?!?!

I wanna do the right thing, and I wanna kinda take a pole....
Fix it and sell it? Or, don't fix it and sell it?

• frankstr

Posted January 31, 2005 - 05:20 AM

I guess nobody checked the piston to valve clearnce:confused:
Just wondering about how many miles before all the problems started ???

• babbs

Posted January 31, 2005 - 05:26 AM

I would have the guy who rebuilt it make it right. After that I wouldn't go near that shop ever again.

Sell it as is, I am always skeptical of people selling things that were recently "rebuilt". I have seen too many sold to get out of a bad rebuild, or not really quite as rebuilt as the seller claims.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted January 31, 2005 - 06:29 AM

thanks to you two so far....
I don't want to rehash the "why, or what happened" as it was a learning experience (very costly one!). I don't have the ability at this point to go to the seller of the parts or the mechanic who did the work. It's just not what I'm about either. It's both parties responsibilities along with mine that were neglected that got me into this position... so again, let's just leave out the "why" and the "what should have been done" kind of stuff.

I too understand that "rebuild" theory on buying a used performance bike. Kind of scary. That's why I was thinking to leave it... and not fix it. Taking a larger loss on the bike. However, I'm not one to sell without a history being told to a new owner. I don't hide the history. I'm a very honest seller... so it's not to say that the 'buyer' wouldn't know exactly what he's getting into whether fixed or not.

To recap on what will need to be replaced at this point;
Top end (piston/rings...etc), main bearings, cam (as it's part of the main problem), valves, valve guides, with some work to valve seats. Nothing tooooo major.

As for the mileage on the bike....
Ohhhhhh... it's been ridden. It's not your average Joe's bike that takes it to the local store on Sunday. But it's not Johnny Campbell's back up bike either. If you'd like to see the bike, it's on my site at http://www.johnnyair...ject-XR650.html There's many items to the bike that have been added or removed since that page was built. Like rear pegs added, dual HIDs removed, Clarke 4.3G tank added, IMS 4.6G removed...etc. I'll update it soon, and before I sell the bike.

Again, thanks for all your help so far. KEEP IT COMING!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 31, 2005 - 07:01 AM

So Johnny, have you ridden the 625SXC? I have and the long stroke motor feels funny and definately vibrates more than a XR650. They are a very pretty bike and dual sportable in most states. But then you know all that.

Its a hard call since you will never even come close to getting what you put in out. I think I would either part the bike out or bite the bullet, take the loss and sell it "as is" for cheap. It all depends on if I was in a hurry or not and how much I needed the money from the sale.

Is it going to have a stock carb or an Edelbrock? :cry:

K-Mart blue light special at Johnny's house :cry:

OR

If your just sick of looking at it's lifeless body in your garage, I will pay the shipping and take it off your hands for free. :cry:

• qadsan

Posted January 31, 2005 - 07:59 AM

So sorry to here things went downhill even further. If you could find a used engine is great shape for a good price, then that would be the way to go if you wanted to keep the bike. I once saw a complete 650r engine sell on eBay for just over $600 that was supposedly in good running shape. Also, there was a guy here on TT that bought a 650r so he could take the front end off and put it on his crf450 to make it more like Scott Summers bike and I believe he was selling his engine, frame, etc, here on TT just a month or so back, but I can't find his listings in the for sale forum anymore??? If you could get an engine for ~$700 that was in great shape, you could sell your barrel, head with valves, cases, gears, stator, etc, on eBay and get some of that money back and end up with a much smaller out of pocket cost.

If you decide to sell it 'as is', there may be more interest than you think because your bike is plated and you can't easily do that anymore to xr650r's in California. If you can't find a good used engine for a good price, then you may want to try selling it 'as is' to see what kind of interest there is and if that didn't work, then I'd probably part it out piece by piece via eBay, etc, but that's a lot of work to do.

I hope it works out so there's not much more out of pocket expense or aggravation.

• moleculo

Posted January 31, 2005 - 09:02 AM

I don't mind giving advice but keep your personal sexual ambitions to yourself. :cry:
:cry:

• J_T

Posted January 31, 2005 - 09:06 AM

If you're going to sell it, sell it as is. I'd rather buy an AS IS bike I know what I'll have to spend to make good than a rebuilt bike where I don't know what I'd have to spend to make good/reliable.

if you do rebuild it and try to sell it It seems like the selling price won't cover the rebuild cost that you have put into it. but I'm not sure

BUT if you change your mind about KTM, make it the parts bike. buy another one and transfer your goodies to the new bike!

But let me know a For sale AS IS price!
JT

• truck6driver

Posted January 31, 2005 - 09:06 AM

I would rather know as a buyer what was done to the bike. Let someone else fix it.

• brrpr

Posted January 31, 2005 - 10:02 AM

Johnny-
I have two engines. Wanna buy one? Gimme your blown motor as an exchange and i will let them go cheap.

One is totally 100% stock. About 70 hours on it. Great condition..Gimme $1100.

The other is built to the hilt. Incredibly strong, fast, realiable. Very little time on it....like maybe 10 hours. $1850.

Without exchange add $500.

If you get a new bike, consider the new open class king....the Husky TE 510.
More hit than the BRP, handles like the CRF250X. Awesome bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThunderChicken

Posted January 31, 2005 - 12:20 PM

part it out or sell it as is.

if you part it out i got first dibs on the frame.

• mackmack

Posted January 31, 2005 - 12:31 PM

PArt it out, or buy a used motor. You should be able to get one for $600-900
I let a great frame and motor go for cheap. If you part it out I want those forks
and front rim for my other crf.

Hay gadsan, that was me that parted the 650 out. here is phase one of the summers conversion.http://img.photobuck...ck/100_0214.jpg

johnny, The guy that bought my motor didn't really want it but the only way I would sell the frame was with the motor. It started easy and ran great. His name was Thaulk and I think he wants to sell it. I have his #, pm me if your interested.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted January 31, 2005 - 01:20 PM

K-Mart blue light special at Johnny's house :cry:

OR

If your just sick of looking at it's lifeless body in your garage, I will pay the shipping and take it off your hands for free. :cry:

Aren't you funny! :cry: that special is already happening! I'm selling other things too... kind of a re-do on my sports and what takes up space. :cry:
And yes, it'll come with the Eddy... And no, I don't plan really on parting it out... not yet anyway.

qadsanSo sorry to here things went downhill even further.

THANKS Quadsan... You have no idea on whats taken place... and that downhill spiral I've taken. I really have thought to keep it, put a new/used motor (stock of course!) in it ... and call it even. I know the bike, the parts... and ... I'm a honda lover anyway. So... we'll see. I'm on the track for that used motor you mention... with luck maybe it'll be great once again! Oh, and I understand the streetable value with a license plate. THank goodness that helps!

Originally Posted by johnnyairtime

I don't mind giving advice but keep your personal sexual ambitions to yourself. :cry:
:devil:

Funny!! I said... pole. he he hee hee he.

Johnny-
I have two engines. Wanna buy one?

We can talk!!! $1100 is kinda steep for used. That's about what I'm gonna be back into my motor for a fix. Come on... PM me with bottom line with shipping included. :devil: I may talk more with ya... but no modifieds for me. I don't want anyone elses hassle. :D let alone my own! :D

johnny, The guy that bought my motor didn't really want it but the only way I would sell the frame was with the motor. It started easy and ran great. His name was Thaulk and I think he wants to sell it. I have his #, pm me if your interested.

You've been PM'd.

And ot the rest of you....
THANKS for the options so far!!!
I like to know what you'd rather buy... then be sold. SO it all helps!
I think I'd be in the same boat as most of you too... buy "as is" rather than never knowing just what took place... or was repaired (other than the bill of materials).

KEEP'EM COMING....

AND... I don't want to turn this into a public auction. Admins would have my neck. So... WHEN I decide to sell... I'll let ya all know and post it in the for sale section. If you've got some deep pockets or a tax return burning a hole... then, and only then... PM me with an offer. But don't embarass me, or yourself. It only goes up in price when you do that. :mad: For now, it won't be parted out. To tear apart my beloved... would probably make me weep.

But... the 625SXC is callin' me too. JOOOOOOHNNEEEEEEEEEE! Hmmm... So again, keep those posts coming. I'd hate to sell it, then realize I made a HUUGE mistake.

• don87xr600

Posted January 31, 2005 - 01:59 PM

I think you should take the entire bike up to Barnum's, beg them for forgiveness, sell the bike. Then pick up a nice quad.:cry:

• AHRMA17L

Posted January 31, 2005 - 02:17 PM

None of the above. Part it out--sell it on eBay, Thumpertalk, the online Mototcycle Swapmeet (Jeff's old site, Mow Mark's), or even on Craigs list.

Unless eveything is totally hammered, you make far more on parts that either option (fixing the bike or selling as a basketcase).

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted January 31, 2005 - 02:30 PM

I think you should take the entire bike up to Barnum's, beg them for forgiveness, sell the bike. Then pick up a nice quad.:cry:

LOL! I don't think it's 'wise' I get anywhere near a "barnum" in the next couple of years... let alone the shop! Forgive? Hehehee.... Don't get me started. :cry:

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted January 31, 2005 - 02:32 PM

None of the above. Part it out--sell it on eBay, Thumpertalk, the online Mototcycle Swapmeet (Jeff's old site, Mow Mark's), or even on Craigs list.

Unless eveything is totally hammered, you make far more on parts that either option (fixing the bike or selling as a basketcase).

Hmm... sounds like EBAY H*LL if you ask me.
I can't imaging selling 2000 seperate parts on Ebay... to have two sets of spokes left over!! :cry: :cry:

Oh... and all the questions on the items in general. Like... "will the rear wheel fit my 1976 Hodaca...?" as an example. :cry: Or "...can I make special mounts for the radiators on my shifter cart...?" :cry:

No thanks.

• brrpr

Posted January 31, 2005 - 04:14 PM

allright Johnny, you drive a hard bargain...

the stock motor is in the bike right now, so you can 'test ride' it. I will take it out and deliver it anywhere reasonable in SoCal for free. Im in the O.C.

$1000 even but that is very low and i wont go any lower. I've never seen a running motor for less, but maybe they are cheaper in Kentuky!?

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted January 31, 2005 - 06:03 PM

allright Johnny, you drive a hard bargain...

the stock motor is in the bike right now, so you can 'test ride' it. I will take it out and deliver it anywhere reasonable in SoCal for free. Im in the O.C.

$1000 even but that is very low and i wont go any lower. I've never seen a running motor for less, but maybe they are cheaper in Kentuky!?

WOW! :cry: Delivered!!

I'm in NorCal right now...
And will be here until the 8th....
But, I'll PM ya with more info.

It might just work. We'll talk!

• BWB63

Posted January 31, 2005 - 08:35 PM

I thought you were selling XR650R parts no buying them:smirk:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=35601

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.