Why do you like your XR 250 or 400?

32 replies to this topic
  • 4strokeclueless

Posted January 30, 2005 - 12:19 PM

Why do you like your XR, over the CRF/X. Is the XR more stable....meaning, feels like it's more planted on the ground? Is it able to keep up fairly well, given a good rider? Is it less prone to requiring maintenance than the CRF/X?

• dirtsquirt101

Posted January 30, 2005 - 12:28 PM

I go out, kick it and ride. I change the oil check the valves once a season and enjoy it. I don't have to worry about smashing radiators, or shimming valves. My 250 may lack 6 horsepower on the X but it has almost identical torque readings. It may not have the same suspension but for trails it works fine. No e-start but it cranks over easy and reliably. Plus it has a much cheaper price tag. I would say go for the XR.

• L354

Posted January 30, 2005 - 09:15 PM

The XR is kinda like a doorknob....twist and it works every time. The CRF/X and the XR are worlds apart as they should be, the XR is an almost 10yr old design well the CRF is brand new. The XR is old school and thats not all a bad thing because it is well proven to be bulletproof, but it does have drawbacks too...weight, power, suspension are not what they are on a CRF. The XR has lower maintaince , lower purchase price, a ton of aftermarket stuff and a tractor motor. All that said, in the deep dark nasties along way from nowhere I know it feels good to have an "old" XR between my legs.

Steve:busted:

• iceslice

Posted January 30, 2005 - 11:31 PM

i rode my XR an entire weekend speiwing black smoke, and at one point came back and poured almost a quart into it. If that doesn't say something about durability to you, i don't know what does. Its very simple, is time proven, and is FUN to ride.

• MSH

Posted January 31, 2005 - 05:07 PM

Like DirtSquirt said above, no radiator to worry about (overheating, puncture). No top end overhaul every 30 hours to worry about like on the X. You know if Honda has been building it for over 10 years with only minor changes they must be doing something right. I have had my 98 XR400 for over 2 years now and have had no engine troubles at all! Easy to work on and parts everywhere! There is no other bike I'd rather be on 20 miles from nowhere....period

:cry: XR400R

• big t

Posted January 31, 2005 - 05:32 PM

Bullet proof reliability, easy maintenance and easy bike to ride in any terrain.

• rsks

Posted January 31, 2005 - 05:35 PM

I'm lazy and hate doing unecessary maintenance besides oil changes every 200 miles and valve checks once an year.

Oh I forgot, I do put gas in the tank :cry:

• boatxr

Posted January 31, 2005 - 06:56 PM

when yer riding in the woods/mountains/desert of bum-fook-west(east) you want the most reliable dirt-bike built. it's that simple.

• Bubbagums

Posted January 31, 2005 - 07:17 PM

My son and I did 400 miles in Baja this past weekend, both on xr400's. Never missed a beat. Sand, rock, mud, water crossing, always surefooted and predictable.

• Flosi77

Posted January 31, 2005 - 07:28 PM

I swear by xr's. I have been riding since i was 6...started with a old trail 50....2 gears. Then got a xr80 and then up to a xr250 and currently ride a xr400. I have never ever had a problem with any of my bikes. The damn things are rock solid. I have been wanting a crf but i will never ditch my xr.
Cant go wrong with any honda 4 stroke though:applause:

• honuki250

Posted February 02, 2005 - 10:57 AM

I have both bikes! My xr 250 is old and beat up alittle (1987) I bought it 10yrs ago and ride it hard. In 10 yrs I've replaced everthing ONCE. 1 piston ,1 clutch,1 timing chain,etc. BEST BIKE I EVER HAD. I just bought the crf250x last fall, unbelievable. This bike is so smooth and powerful but I'm concerned about maintance. I talk to guys the race GNCC and they told me they go the whole season before changing piston but valves need adjusted more often. I'm going to ride crf hard this yr and make decision to keep it or get a newer xr. Good luck in search

• 97xr400r

Posted February 02, 2005 - 12:01 PM

I feel safe riding it down to the store(street legal) and not worrying about having to ever deal with pushing it back up! Same concept goes for riding alone on the trail. The least of my worries on my mind is my bike's durability.

• 4strokeclueless

Posted February 02, 2005 - 02:15 PM

Well, I decided to go with the XR400. It is brand new, pretty, smells good, and I love it. I'm getting the seat shaved a bit and the sag adjusted some to fit my short legs. It's still at the shop being serviced. I'm so stoked about it. I can't wait to get on it.

• dirtsquirt101

Posted February 02, 2005 - 03:02 PM

Congratulations! :cry: Welcome to the XR family! :cry:

• brock1732

Posted February 02, 2005 - 04:15 PM

because my xr250 is always the bike that is used to head back and get something to fix my other friend's bikes. It's always a, uhhh, hey dude can I ride you bike back to get another spark plug, or a uhhh, i cant start my bike, ride back and get more oil. :cry:

• Rent-A-Cop

Posted February 02, 2005 - 05:57 PM

I love my XR250R because it is rock-solid stable, stone reliable, well-mannered, and has all the tractable power I need. It is a classic; the quintessential dirt bike.

Oh yeah, and it's a Honda. The "other" brands I've owned (Suzuki, Yamaha) just don't compare to Honda's attention to detail.

And it ain't a two-smoke. I've had enough of those silly things and their maintenance.

• KEVXR416

Posted February 02, 2005 - 09:49 PM

My son and I did 400 miles in Baja this past weekend, both on xr400's. Never missed a beat. Sand, rock, mud, water crossing, always surefooted and predictable.

That say's it all right there :cry: :cry: :cry:

MYTH BUSTED :D :cry: :cry: :devil: :devil: :D

• oregon_rider

Posted February 02, 2005 - 11:19 PM

I rode and raced XR250s for many years - my last being a '95 XR. It had white power upside down forks and an ohlins rear shock, 300cc kit and FCR keihin.

Well I can tell you why I am buying a new 2004 XR250R after not having one for the last 4 years.

1. Longer stroke motor allows one to install a 280-300 cc kit and get good torque-ey power. Anyone who installs a larger piston in the CRF250X is outa their mind - that stroke is already so dang short relative to the bore. Nuts! I want a longer stroke - I wanna feel the thump!

2. Stone cold reliable. Although the valves in the newer models are not as strong as those that were installed pre-96. Kibble-white sells valves for the XR too...

3. Short wheelbase and steering head angle make for one nice carving bike in the tight woods. I don't care who I come up against or what they are riding - as soon as it gets twisty - "bye-bye".

4. Kickstart and light weight. I don't want e-start if it adds 15 pounds plus to the bike.

With all the new CRF thingy's out there - folks think an XR is slow again. When you beat 'em on the old trail bike - put's em back in their place. It's kinda fun... :cry:

- jeff

• oz explorer

Posted August 13, 2007 - 03:49 AM

I've gone on 1100 mile not kilometer rides here in oz. 180 miles of highway and dirt roads there, road around for four or five days then road home. The island we ride to is all sand and huge (Frazer Island do a search its a wicked place to ride). Done the trip 3 times now with a different mate each time on xr's without a problem. 2 years 18000 KM done just fuel and oil love this bike. Ill try and ad a photo. Posted Image

• John Wayne

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:48 AM

I can see it from my couch, and it does not give me any lip. IE: watercooled thumper maint.

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The beginning of my rebuild 96 xr250r by Madmike84

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

1986 honda xr250r rebuild! by Dirt-Mink

• Hot  52 replies
Forums
Photo

DIY Dual Sport guide for the XR400, Part II by n16ht5

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 smoking suddenly, replace plug, adjust valves or fuel mixture? by Landcrab

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

New to me 99 XR 400 by wickedinhere

• Hot  69 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.