stock 650r edlbrock carb

4 replies to this topic
  • xrryder

Posted January 29, 2005 - 06:06 PM

I've heard everybody talking about the edlbrock carb, have a stock 650r. would it benefit me at all to put one on it or would i be wasting my money unless i did all the other mods to it. And if it would help the pigs preformance is it just a bolt on or would i have to make mods to make it fit. Any imput would be greatly apperciated.:cry:

• resslera

Posted January 29, 2005 - 06:16 PM

While I personally do not have the edlbrock on my 650R, I can say you are missing the best performance upgrade by not uncorking. It will take you under 2 hours and it will be hard to wipe the smile off your bike every time you ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted January 29, 2005 - 06:29 PM

It comes as a complete bolt on kit, including the carb, a new throttle tube assembly, new throttle cables, additional needles, instructions, etc. If you're capable of removing your stock carb & throttle tube assembly and re-installing it, then you can install the Edelbrock.

What you'll mostly notice is improved off idle throttle reponse. For instance, if you're riding a trail at a low RPM or have to let off the throttle for some reason such as coming into a blind corner on a trail and then all of a sudden you need to pull your front wheel up or want to fully open the throttle with an immediate twist of your wrist, the bike will consistantly and quickly respond without any hesitation. Another benefit is the internal fuel cell, which eliminates flooding should you dump your bike. If you're racing and time is of the essance or just want a bike that immediately starts up with one kick after it goes down (unless it's still running), then the Edelbrock will fill that void. You will get some more peak power, but don't expect a huge increase or you may be dissapointed. Another interesting thing is that this carb is designed to be much less fussy when riding at different altitudes and if you do need to make tuning changes for whatever reason, then it usually only requires an external adjustment (no more taking the carb apart to change jets).

Here's a link to Edelbrock's web site where you can see a partial dyno chart of the improvement.

[color=#22229c]http://www.edelbrock...torcycles.shtml#[/color]

http://www.edelbrock...honda_atv.shtml

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 29, 2005 - 06:36 PM

While I personally do not have the edlbrock on my 650R, I can say you are missing the best performance upgrade by not uncorking. It will take you under 2 hours and it will be hard to wipe the smile off your bike every time you ride.

That is absolutely true. Honda never intended to have this bike all corked up. Honda makes the power up kit as it is called. For about 150.00, if you go the full retail route on the parts. And your bike will be running the way it was intended to run in the first place.

Yes the Edelbrock is a bolt on carb. Nothing else to buy. You cannot run the Edelbrock with the bike corked (stock). At least thats what my booklet that came with the carb said.:cry:

• BWB63

Posted January 29, 2005 - 09:57 PM

I may have throwen some confusion about adding modifications to your bike if you get a Edelbrock. Asuming your bike is Un-Corked and stock, it will be all that Quadsan said, with ear to ear grin. What I am/was talking about getting all you can out of the addition of the Edelbrock. The Edelbrock will even add more performace to your bike with other modifications then those mod's by thereself. Uni air filter and holes in the air filter cover add almost 1hp. Header and muffler is about 1hp gain. An Edelbrock on a stock bike (Un-corked) is about 1~2hp but, with Edelbrock and all these mod's you could go from 44hp to 49hp on your bike with more torque throughout the RPM range. The point is you pick up more as a package then if you just add what each would give together. The Pumper carburetor gives more to your other modifications. It keeps giving.......adding to other modifications as you go. Paying for itself again as you add to your bike:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.