Edelbrock Carb! Edelbrock Carb! Edelbrock Carb!

35 replies to this topic
  • mountainrider

Posted January 29, 2005 - 12:39 PM

What gets me is that a few weeks ago people were posting about how much trouble they were having with the Edelbrock.This week it is the anwser to everyones prayers.Go figure.:cry:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 29, 2005 - 06:26 PM

I am the one who started what turned out to be a very popular thread on the problems with the Edelbrock. I think more than 1000 hits before it was all done and said. I since that time have appearantly resolved the problem and so I am once more on the Edelbrock bandwagon.

It has to do with the carbs fuel shut off valve sticking and not allowing any fuel into the carb. You never know when its going to happen and must disassemble the valve to get fuel flowing into the carb. Mine is not sticking now so I am happy. I shared what I did with others who had this problem consistantly like myself. If this fix turns out to be temporary then several of us will approach Edelbrock together about a permanant fix.

Why are we willing to go through all this to get the carb working? You need to ride a XR650R with the Edelbrock working to understand. It really performs nicely. Also realize that this problem only occurs to a hand full of carbs. Most Edelbrock owners never have the problem. Thats what made it so frustrating. Those who never had the problem were sure we did something wrong and could not believe we were right about our diagnosis. Therefore there was no help. I told Edelbrock what I did and they think there was a small burr on the valve to cause it to stick. There is a strong possibility that is the case. Only time will tell.

The enhancements that the Edelbrock brings to the XR650R make it one of the better mods I've done to my bike. Thats why I would rather resolve the problem than get my money back. And right now, as I said, it appears resolved.:cry:

• jkwithers

Posted January 29, 2005 - 06:26 PM

dude i havent been on in a while and am having a brain fart can you pleeze tell me how to do my own posts

thanks

• BWB63

Posted January 29, 2005 - 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrider
What gets me is that a few weeks ago people were posting about how much trouble they were having with the Edelbrock.This week it is the anwser to everyones prayers.Go figure.:cry:

Yes, there are some problems with the float needle. Not on all. I think it has to do with the metals gaulling together but, it's hit and miss. I had problems with my Edelbrock right at the Edelbrock shop. Twice! It had sat for some time on the shelf. You can get a Mikuni and spend the time jetting it or a Edelbrock and set it up an go. So, far it sounds like those that had the biggest gripes about it, got over it. Hasn't/won't stop me from using it! Once you get a Mikuni dialed in it is realy great carburetor. Edelbrock is also a great product and yes, it has a small hick-up they are working on that is a "Fantom" problem. I would like to have a stock bike again! One of my own that I can chace some of the fast riders that ride on the edge and see what the difference of my mod's realy are. I am thinking I would have a whole different outlook on the modifications that I have done to my bike!:cry: :cry: :devil: I think they will prove to have made my riding experience much more worth while dollar for dollar!

I ride with a lot of different riders and if you are happy with how your bike starts, happy with how you role on the throttle, are not trying to kill yourself, don't dump the bike....then you don't "NEED" the Edelbrock. I like to think I "NEED" it:rolleyes: I like to "Think" like that :cry: It's a lot of money, that can be spent on the wife! Happy Wife, Happy Rider!:cry:
I had to rewrite this do to the fact of pain medication influancing the out come:o

• frogman

Posted January 30, 2005 - 09:50 PM

Frog man, you did buy the bike before you heard of the Q.S. carb, am I not mistaken? I remember someone honking you off real bad who told you to sell the bike :cry: :cry:

That was Eric that pissed me off, bad comment at the wrong time. Than I played the ol' jetting merry-go-round till I was sick of it. I cant stand an untunable bike.
Buying the Edelbrock was my last option before pushing the pig off a pier.

Now its the best bike I ever had and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Thats a lot to be said for a carb.

• BWB63

Posted January 31, 2005 - 08:02 PM

[color=#0000ff]TMR Series Mikuni 41mm Carburetor. I haven't tried it but, it's catching on for supermotard. Something else to consider out there for those looking for a pumper carburetor.:cry: [/color]

• Desmo

Posted January 31, 2005 - 10:41 PM

Recently I had the little float valve stick and I could not start the bike.

It had been sitting for a while. I checked spark, fuel to the bowl and finally just tapped on the bowl with a screwdriver handle and that fixed it up.

I also sprayed a bit of carb cleaner in the fuel line to the valve. That and a small tap did the trick.

So... I'd recommend a quick tap prior to removing the bowl if it happens again.

Of course it is a cheesy fix for a problem that needs a permanent solution, but maybe give it a try prior to pulling the bowl if it happens again.

Overall, I'm happy with the carb. I remember when I first put it on. After normal prime kicks, it started with 1 kick.

Cheers

Scott

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 31, 2005 - 11:44 PM

Recently I had the little float valve stick and I could not start the bike.

It had been sitting for a while. I checked spark, fuel to the bowl and finally just tapped on the bowl with a screwdriver handle and that fixed it up.

I also sprayed a bit of carb cleaner in the fuel line to the valve. That and a small tap did the trick.

So... I'd recommend a quick tap prior to removing the bowl if it happens again.

Of course it is a cheesy fix for a problem that needs a permanent solution, but maybe give it a try prior to pulling the bowl if it happens again.

Overall, I'm happy with the carb. I remember when I first put it on. After normal prime kicks, it started with 1 kick.

Cheers

Scott

All of us who have had this problem have tried that with limited success. If it starts sticking again and again, at some point the little tapping trick will quit working. Been there done that. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted February 01, 2005 - 01:03 PM

Oh, NO! Look what you have done Desmo! You got the Old Man all worked up again!:cry: Right when we thought he was happy you came alone and stirred him up! (Or is that me stirring things up) :cry:

I know one thing I would never want to be next to OldManTime if his float valve stuck out on the trail!:cry: I would look like this:cripple: :cry:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 01, 2005 - 01:20 PM

Oh, NO! Look what you have done Desmo! You got the Old Man all worked up again!:cry: Right when we thought he was happy you came alone and stirred him up! (Or is that me stirring things up) :cry:

I know one thing I would never want to be next to OldManTime if his float valve stuck out on the trail!:cry: I would look like this:cripple: :cry:

Bond here, shaken not stirred please.

• BWB63

Posted February 01, 2005 - 01:55 PM

I just couldn't help but, think that if that Edelbrock stuck on you one more time, the poor rider next to you might get a beating LOL! Well I thought it was funny:excuseme: Just having a little fun. I know you must be one of the nicest guy's here and don't want to be [color=black]Disrepsectfull[/color] just fun. :cry:

• Desmo

Posted February 01, 2005 - 10:15 PM

What we need, fellas, is another 1000 post topic :cry:

cheers

scott

• qadsan

Posted February 01, 2005 - 11:18 PM

What we need, fellas, is another 1000 post topic :cry:
cheers scott

Here's some topics to discuss that will get some opinions :cry:

Let's talk about oil :cry:
* Synthetic is too slippery and will ruin your engine.
* Mobil 1 RedCap is the worst oil you can use.
* Canola Oil actually works better than most oils out there. After 10 hours of use, you can use can drain your oil and use it for salads, vegetables, stir frys, etc, and it helps to lower blood cholesterol levels by reducing heat disease, diabetes & high blood pressure.

Let's talk about oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, etc :cry:
* Paper is better than stainless
* Stainless is better than paper
* Brass is brass and belongs in the trash
* My throttle felt gritty, so I looked at the throttle slide and it was packed with dirt, sand, rocks, etc. That's the last time I'm using a K&N air filter!
* TwinAir makes the best filters
* Uni filters will add 5 HP across the whole RPM range
* Removing the backfire screen adds 10 more HP
* The TeraFlex is the best tire made for all applications including super moto
* After running my bike on AV Gas, it flys!
* I installed a Split Fire spark plug and now my bike pulls like a freight train!

Let's talk about bikes :cry:
* The XR650R is really the best SX / MX bike made to date, but none of the superstars use it because they aren't man enough.
* Honda is experimenting with putting helium in the tires of XR650R's to reduce its weight.
* The XR650R is dead. It's being replaced by the CRF600X. Just wait and see.
* KTM couldn't stand the acronym 'K'ick 'T'wenty 'M'inues, so now their bikes come with electric start all because of this.

• SoCalDirtDevil

Posted February 02, 2005 - 04:32 PM

I got my used! Thanks Thumpdaddy. It works great especially for those one kick starts!!! :cry:

• BWB63

Posted February 02, 2005 - 09:07 PM

I thought that was Hydrogen they were putting in the tires to make the bike lighter!
The only reason I had to go with the 680 kit was to take advantage of my Uni air filter and lack of using a back fire screen!

I use a Edelbrock to flow the thicker (or maybe it's thinner) Aviation fuel for the extra eight horsepower it gives.

I have to use the Tera Flex on the freeway because it is the only tire that can handle the extra power of the Nology spark plug wire.

I use 409 to clean my "O" ring chain because WD-40 make the O-rings go bad.

The latest and newest is (On the Yahoo Group) making my Flywheel 200 grams lighter is cheaper and a better modification then getting a Edelbrock or other pump carburetor on my stock bike.

With the Uni (3hp), Holes in the air filter cover (3hp), Header (3hp), no back fire screen (3hp), Muffler (3hp), Edelbrock (3hp), Aviation Fuel (3hp), X-ring chain (3hp), Nology hot wire (3hp), Nogoly coil (3hp), Vortex CDI (3hp), my stock 55hp bike now puts out 88hp! I can't figure out what was wrong with the dyno????!!!! It only showed half that!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 02, 2005 - 09:17 PM

I thought that was Hydrogen they were putting in the tires to make the bike lighter!
The only reason I had to go with the 680 kit was to take advantage of my Uni air filter and lack of using a back fire screen!

I use a Edelbrock to flow the thicker (or maybe it's thinner) Aviation fuel for the extra eight horsepower it gives.

I have to use the Tera Flex on the freeway because it is the only tire that can handle the extra power of the Nology spark plug wire.

I use 409 to clean my "O" ring chain because WD-40 make the O-rings go bad.

The latest and newest is (On the Yahoo Group) making my Flywheel 200 grams lighter is cheaper and a better modification then getting a Edelbrock or other pump carburetor on my stock bike.

With the Uni (3hp), Holes in the air filter cover (3hp), Header (3hp), no back fire screen (3hp), Muffler (3hp), Edelbrock (3hp), Aviation Fuel (3hp), X-ring chain (3hp), Nology hot wire (3hp), Nogoly coil (3hp), Vortex CDI (3hp), my stock 55hp bike now puts out 88hp! I can't figure out what was wrong with the dyno????!!!! It only showed half that!

Wow, now this is why I am a member of TT. Is there anywhere else in the world that you could find such gems of truth? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.