Lets talk about the 06 450

39 replies to this topic
  • MichiganMXer

Posted January 28, 2005 - 06:04 AM

I love Yami's, my heart lies in them, but I'll be honest I'm a little disappointed in the 05. There's nothing compelling about it compared to the CRF and even the DRZ-450. I know its a great bike but, I'm passing the 05 for the 06.

In 06, I think we'll see:

The aluminum frame which = additional weight savings.

I think they'll realize they might have made a mistake "taming" the 05. Every YZF owner on TT absolutely loves the notorious HIT of the 450. Its been obvious that if you push a YZ450 hard and hold on long enough; no CRF450 could ever touch you; so why change that. Thats why we love it. Its pure race and thats that. I wished they didn't "puss" the bike to make it "easier to ride." I think/hope they'll bring the HIT back in 06.

What do you guys think about the possible EFI in the 06 CRF's? Hmmmm
Thats a new angle, any response by Yami to that?

Anyways, love Yamaha, just a little disappointed in the 05. There I said it.

Hope they get to work for 06.

• Thumper38

Posted January 28, 2005 - 06:27 AM

I am faster on my 05 than I was on my 03, and the lap times show! I am not as tired after about 8 laps!

• DPW

Posted January 28, 2005 - 06:52 AM

I like my '05 YZF too. The faster bike does not always win...it's the RIDER. Any modern day 450 has enough power for the mortals on this board.

I think the "what is the '06 YZF" topic is getting old...

• MichiganMXer

Posted January 28, 2005 - 07:19 AM

I like my '05 YZF too. The faster bike does not always win...it's the RIDER. Any modern day 450 has enough power for the mortals on this board.

I think the "what is the '06 YZF" topic is getting old...

Of course its all about the rider, I'm a 5th,6,7th B rider on a 426.

But remember, this is a forum and I was just posting my opinion. I'll be sure to run the next one by you for your approval man. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm glad to hear you guys are running faster lap times, they made these changes for a reason but most manufaturers of performance engines would agree that:

Less weight + greater power/torque = greater performance

Bring back that hit in 06! :cry:

• Wyatt

Posted January 28, 2005 - 07:21 AM

here is a look at what the '06 will bring...... :cry: :cry:

http://www.jaspony.c...ig/NewBike2.jpg

• DPW

Posted January 28, 2005 - 07:24 AM

here is a look at what the '06 will bring...... :cry: :cry:

http://www.jaspony.c...ig/NewBike2.jpg

Yeah I saw that pretty cool!

MichiganMXer,

No need to run your next post by me, it's a message board just voicing my opinion also.

What kind of oil should I run in my bike....J/K!

• Satch0922

Posted January 28, 2005 - 07:49 AM

Wyatt...Yamaha is way too smart to make a frame like that!

Keep in mind, and I posted this somewhere before, Yamaha will have to redesign or change the motor so that the oil is not in the frame......lower center of gravity is what the YZF needs. They won't get there with just an aluminum frame.

• Satch0922

Posted January 28, 2005 - 08:02 AM

Posted Image

• MichiganMXer

Posted January 28, 2005 - 08:20 AM

Here's a dated picture of Stephan Everts w/ a YZF500, this was in 02, but THE FRAME!THE FRAME!

http://www.specialma...news10896.shtml

• falshh

Posted February 01, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Ive got a 04 450 and in 06 ill buy another one only if it is aluminum otherwise I think I may pick up the new rm450 suzuki if the reviews keep on coming in good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted February 02, 2005 - 03:14 AM

im hoping for the alumframe in 06 cuz thats when im buying my first 450 and i want it to be a yamaha. but idk if it doestn come out with the frame i might have to go to a diff brand.

i also heard that its yamaha 50th year of making bikes and there going to show it on the thumpers.. ( i.e. alum frame diff graphics and stuff like that)

any word on that.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted February 02, 2005 - 06:50 PM

I love Yami's, my heart lies in them, but I'll be honest I'm a little disappointed in the 05. There's nothing compelling about it compared to the CRF and even the DRZ-450. I know its a great bike but, I'm passing the 05 for the 06.

how can you even attempt to compare the yz450f to a pos drz trail bike? they have absolutely nothing in common, trail bikes and mx bikes. completely different geometry.

In 06, I think we'll see:

The aluminum frame which = additional weight savings.

I think they'll realize they might have made a mistake "taming" the 05. Every YZF owner on TT absolutely loves the notorious HIT of the 450. Its been obvious that if you push a YZ450 hard and hold on long enough; no CRF450 could ever touch you; so why change that. Thats why we love it. Its pure race and thats that. I wished they didn't "puss" the bike to make it "easier to ride." I think/hope they'll bring the HIT back in 06.

its just as fast as last year they just took the hard hit out of the powerband so the rider can last longer. you can still romp on pos crf450's. it makes perfect sense. the 03-04 450f wears you out...quick. they didnt make a mistake. they wont bring that brutal hit back in 06. no.

What do you guys think about the possible EFI in the 06 CRF's? Hmmmm
Thats a new angle, any response by Yami to that?

the 06 crf's will not have efi, no mx bike in the next few years will have it. why would you want it? it makes it harder to work on and is WAY heavier than a carburetor. clueless. efi on an mx bike is stupid. plain and simple.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted February 03, 2005 - 06:05 AM

Both the 450 and the 250 will be aluminum in 06.

• MichiganMXer

Posted February 03, 2005 - 06:54 AM

how can you even attempt to compare the yz450f to a pos drz trail bike? they have absolutely nothing in common, trail bikes and mx bikes. completely different geometry.

its just as fast as last year they just took the hard hit out of the powerband so the rider can last longer. you can still romp on pos crf450's. it makes perfect sense. the 03-04 450f wears you out...quick. they didnt make a mistake. they wont bring that brutal hit back in 06. no.

the 06 crf's will not have efi, no mx bike in the next few years will have it. why would you want it? it makes it harder to work on and is WAY heavier than a carburetor. clueless. efi on an mx bike is stupid. plain and simple.

Hey Mr. Feeltheneedtocorrecteverybody, just talkin about things here, RMZ-DRZ, I ride motocross; assume I'm not talking about some F-ing trail bike.

Rumors about an EFI aren't too crazy, but since Windham's mechanic is in the house, I'll scratch the idea. Thanks for setting things straight for all of us. :cry:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted February 03, 2005 - 07:01 AM

they wont bring that brutal hit back in 06. no

I just read your reply. You are incorrect, there will be a new ignition mapping to try and correct some of the loss of responsiveness.

• yz400fl1

Posted February 03, 2005 - 07:05 AM

EFI would just be differant than a carb.

EFI:

Pros- No bog what so ever. Super smooth throttle response. Rider can hook up to bikes on board computer and tune the bike at the track instantly for elevation, temp, humidity, type of riding etc.(That is what the mags say anyway).

Cons- It either works or it doesn't. Expensive to fix. Have to have high pressure fuel pump.

Carb:

Pros- Cheap. Light. Easy to work on. Gets the job done.

Cons- Not EFI.

IMO I don't think EFI would be a bad way to go.

• motomike137

Posted February 03, 2005 - 08:23 AM

The oil can't be in the frame? Why?

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2005 - 10:19 AM

They need to keep the dry sump oiling system, IMO, it's just plain better for a variety of reasons.

EFI is inevitable if you want the EPA off your back. Besides, a good system will basically rejet itself continuously in real time. It's incorrect to say that it will be hard to fix, or even that it will either work or not work. Not every failure will cause the total failure of the system. Most of the problems that we have with carbs that need to be fixed won't happen to an EFI anyway, and what was the last electrical component on your YZ that quit working?

As far as the hit, I still suggest that 75% of the change in the power characteristics of the 450 are due to different cams either timing or profiles, and if you drop an '04 cam set in an '05 I think it would fix most of it.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted February 03, 2005 - 03:50 PM

I just read your reply. You are incorrect, there will be a new ignition mapping to try and correct some of the loss of responsiveness.

yes, and how exactly does that mean they're bringing the hard hit back??????

responsiveness on the throttle has absolutely nothing to do with the extremely brutal powerband on the 03-04 450f.

• YamahaX25

Posted February 03, 2005 - 05:02 PM

EFI would just be differant than a carb.

EFI:

Pros- No bog what so ever. Super smooth throttle response. Rider can hook up to bikes on board computer and tune the bike at the track instantly for elevation, temp, humidity, type of riding etc.(That is what the mags say anyway).

Cons- It either works or it doesn't. Expensive to fix. Have to have high pressure fuel pump.

I want to ride at the track, not tune my onboard computer correctly when I get there. I'll take my fuel screw any day over EFI, Carbs are much simpler, and seriously, how much less pollution is a bike with EFI going to put out over one correctly jetted bike . It absolutley pisses me off to be sitting at a red light and a dumptruck or 18-wheeler, throw in in first gear, pop the clutch and just blow black smog everywhere. There's no way dirt-bikes can amount to the pollution these commercial vehicles put out daily or yearly, and does the EPA do anything about them??? no.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.