Dirtriders full write up on the 05 WR450... Wow

13 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 27, 2005 - 11:41 PM

I was excited to see my new Dirtrider in the mailbox today because I knew the WR write up was going to be in there. Since so many 04 septics believe that the 04 was the last real WR or how some 05 owners were "disappointed" on with Yamahas newest WR I wanted to see what Jimmy Lewis had to say about the bike because I trust him and his opinions. The AIS,tank and suspension have been big topics and I was curious to see how it would effect a guy like him.

"The bottom line here is a faster than ever WR450F"

"our 2004 WR450F was as comfortable as a pair of well broken in boots, However, a stint on the '05 made it just feel fat and lazy"

"I was turning faster laps on it than on the CR250 and RM250cc at Piru MX.."

"handling is hugely improved and it feels lighter" (over previous models)

"the CG now feels as if it's located between your ankles"

-Jimmy Lewis

He goes on and on how much he likes this new bike, quite a contrast from I've been reading here lately..

• elton

Posted January 28, 2005 - 05:05 AM

"The bottom line here is a faster than ever WR450F"

"our 2004 WR450F was as comfortable as a pair of well broken in boots, However, a stint on the '05 made it just feel fat and lazy"

"I was turning faster laps on it than on the CR250 and RM250cc at Piru MX.."

"handling is hugely improved and it feels lighter" (over previous models)

-Jimmy Lewis

Cool! Then I'm not crazy. I always thought the 05 WR was very light and agile; could not conceive a lighter bike with so much power being stable at high speeds on rough terrain.

However, since my 05 WR is my first bike since the 70's, I could not compare it to other modern bikes; so, I thought I was crazy, as many contended that "all WR's" are front-heavy", "bloated", that "Yamaha is lying about the lower published weight vs. the KTM450 and 450X", etc.

I always preferred Porsche 911's because of the refinement of an excellent design; obviously Yamaha has done the same with the 05 WR (one reason I got the WR vs. waiting on the 450X).

Elton

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 28, 2005 - 08:04 AM

I wanted to correct myself, the quotes about the 04 being fat and lazy and being the fastest were made my Bryan Nylander. :cry:

• simon@vic

Posted January 28, 2005 - 08:23 AM

i dont know about the guy you guys are quoting. but in general, i dont trust anything in dirtrider. one big ADD. :cry: imho

• unkle_george

Posted January 28, 2005 - 08:58 AM

dirtrider camps a little too close to the Yamaha factory to be truely unbiased. One big Ad is right. They could have covered it more in the eyes of the weekend warrior off-road racer instead of the 'It's like a big motocross bike' theme.

Long live the 426... (he he)
- Ryan

• mjslim

Posted January 28, 2005 - 09:01 AM

ditto Simon. Apply the proverbial grain of salt. Remember those guys get paid by their advertisers......................

• thumper_dad

Posted January 28, 2005 - 11:39 AM

Great Post, I guess these potato choppers aren't so bad then :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldbones

Posted January 28, 2005 - 05:09 PM

Man, I don't know which Dirt Rider you guys have been reading, but I always thought they were more in bed with Big Red than Old Blue. For them to brag up the Yami is big news, with the 450X available to them.

• Lowedog

Posted January 28, 2005 - 07:16 PM

I can't wait untill the snow is gone and I can get out and ride my friends '05 to get a comparison to my '03. Hopefully it's not that much better because I'm not ready to buy a new bike yet. :cry:

Lowedog

• ddialogue

Posted January 28, 2005 - 09:32 PM

Dan,

You had one of the first 03's and now you have an '05.

What are your thoughts compared to those in Dirt Rider?

• simica

Posted January 28, 2005 - 10:04 PM

I was also impressed and surprised by the article in DR, but not because of what they said. I've been saying the same things to my friends about my WR, its just that lately I thought DB and DR were sleeping with their orange bikes. I will be seeing some DR guys next week and hope to hear some unpublished opinions of the WR.

• RCannon

Posted January 29, 2005 - 06:30 AM

I agree that I dont trust Dirt Rider, but they may be different now. The same issue also rates the 2 stroke 250's. They give Kawasaki the win. Honda wins the 450's. Very strange to see Kawasaki win the overall anything.

• elton

Posted January 29, 2005 - 09:02 AM

lately I thought DB and DR were sleeping with their orange bikes

Funny; :cry:
..however, my wife claims she is starting to worry about having to make room for my 05_WR450 :cry:

Elton

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 29, 2005 - 09:09 AM

I trust TT members ride input the best! If Dan Lorenze has had an 03 and an 05 and says the 05 is the best handling bike then I believe him and others! It is so nice to see anyone talk good about the WR450.

I know all the mags trashed it in 03 and 04 (some called the WR = wrong rut) but we all know that a stock WR450 win the ISDE 6 days event in Brazil with Steffan Everts riding!:cry:

David Fretigne on the WR450 has won his class in the Dakar the last 2 years.:cry:
Coming in 5th overall this year. I dont know how far down the next honda/Kawa/suzuki was at the finish but they were off the charts.:cry:

I know all of our TT members love thier WR450's!:cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.