XR650 head removal

5 replies to this topic
  • reedvalve

Posted January 27, 2005 - 11:10 AM

Hey,

Actually the bike is an 89 NX650, but I think the engine is almost the same. I have all of the bolts & nuts removed but I can't persuade it to budge. I tried hitting it with a dead blow hammer using both a wood block and then a plastic drift (sawed off screwdriver handle). No dice. Anyone have any tips?

thx
EThan

• frankstr

Posted January 27, 2005 - 11:52 AM

Dynamite :cry: :cry:
No serously,just tap around the corners with a nylon dead blow or rubber mallot, If it has head studs ,spray some penatrating oil down them to soften any grunge in the holes,some times it helps to remove a couple of studs :cry:

• reedvalve

Posted January 27, 2005 - 12:10 PM

thanks - If I can't dislodge it with the dead blow after a few more tries I may resort to the dynamite!! After 32k hot aircooled miles I guess the bond between the cyl & head must be obscenely strong.

Uh oh Gromit, we forgot the crackers!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hitorq

Posted January 27, 2005 - 01:12 PM

Probably sticking on the dowel/locating pins, try to tap and use penetrating oil in that area, just be careful with the cooling fins. Your manual should show the locations. Might take a night of soaking, so have beer at hand, good luck.

• Hitorq

Posted January 27, 2005 - 01:16 PM

Forgot to add, take a paint scraper (with a good edge), and carefully try to split the gasket around the edges you can get to without digging into the aluminum, use plenty of pen. oil at the same time. This will usually work, but you have to be very careful (probably put the beer back if it requires this). I have done this many times with success, but you need a sharp scraper and patience. That gasket has probably taken a pretty good set.

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 27, 2005 - 10:44 PM

Try kicking it over w/o the compression release....

All I can figure is either you missed a bolt or you're not being agressive enough. Isnt the head gasket metal, anyway? I dont know how it could stick so bad.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.