Adding a key switch to the WR...

18 replies to this topic
  • ddialogue

Posted January 27, 2005 - 05:43 AM

I've been wanting to add a key switch to replace the push button for some time now. Couldn't find one that I really liked until I checked out the key switch on a TT-R125LE. I ordered one from the dealer for around $50. I was pleasantly suprised to see that it uses the same wiring scheme as the WR! The connector is slightly different and I had to use the WR connector (the prongs are easily removed from the TTR connector and reinserted into the WR connector) but it works perfectly!

Now I just need to come up with a bracket to mount it... :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 27, 2005 - 06:08 AM

Dave, while you were looking at the wiring on your bike did you see any way to hook up a neutral indicator? If you're going through the trouble of installing a key switch, wouldn't it be cool to hook up an LED status light for neutral?

Dan

• kincade

Posted January 27, 2005 - 04:20 PM

Sweet! Keep us posted as to your progress; I'd love to see what you end up doing...

• ddialogue

Posted January 27, 2005 - 04:35 PM

Dave, while you were looking at the wiring on your bike did you see any way to hook up a neutral indicator? If you're going through the trouble of installing a key switch, wouldn't it be cool to hook up an LED status light for neutral?

Dan

That's an interesting thought. I'll check the manual and see if it's possible. I'll be honest, though...I'm not the brighest bulb in the box when it comes to dealing with electrical systems! :cry:

The TT-R125 key switch definitely works good though, out of the box, with no modifications. I just wanted a basic key switch setup to give a little more peace of mind for those Moab trips. :cry:

• ddialogue

Posted February 11, 2005 - 05:44 AM

Dan

Dan,

I'm not sure if you read this thread before the 'technical glitch' yesterday but WheelsUp described exactly how to add this feature. I followed his instructions yesterday and it worked perfectly. I now have a green LED for neutral status. :cry:

:cry: WheelsUp :cry:

• ETP

Posted February 11, 2005 - 06:43 AM

Dan,

I'm not sure if you read this thread before the 'technical glitch' yesterday but WheelsUp described exactly how to add this feature. I followed his instructions yesterday and it worked perfectly. I now have a green LED for neutral status. :cry:

:cry: WheelsUp :cry:

I'm interested in the neutral LED mod but can't find the post from Wheelsup. Can someone please enlighten us?
Thanks

• simon@vic

Posted February 11, 2005 - 09:03 AM

i useds a DRZ400e key switch as well as the push button one. but i took it off because i never leve my GF {the WR} out where some punk would take it.

• ddialogue

Posted February 11, 2005 - 11:49 AM

I'm interested in the neutral LED mod but can't find the post from Wheelsup. Can someone please enlighten us?
Thanks

Let me see if I can remember the directions he gave (if I miss something, please chime in!)

Put the bike in neutral. Locate the blue wire coming from the neutral switch and put a break in it (I pulled it from the plug.) Test continuity...this will only go to ground when the bike is in neutral. Install a diode (1N4148, I think) with the banded side towards ground. Connect one leg of bulb/led to the other side of the diode. Connect the other leg of the bulb/led to your power source. Test and wrap it all back up.

Did I miss anything? Correct/clarify as necessary! :cry:

• WheelsUp

Posted February 11, 2005 - 05:37 PM

The neutral light "out" should go on the banded end of the diode... on the same end as the neutral switch. This isolates the CDI from the 12v coming from the power source.

Other than that, yep... you got it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted February 11, 2005 - 05:55 PM

Thanks guys. Sounds like a piece of cake. :)

• HighPlainsWR

Posted February 11, 2005 - 06:17 PM

D.

You said you "just wanted a basic key switch setup to give a little more peace of mind for those Moab trips." Well me too. Nothing like having your WR "Four-Nifty" in the parking lot of the Super 8 without a strong deterent to theft. Talked to a Moab cop last Fall and he said boosting dirt bikes is big business in Moab, especially during the busy season. :)

Aside from lots of chains and locks what's a rider to do? :)

• WheelsUp

Posted February 11, 2005 - 10:50 PM

Wow... disc lock front and rear, key lock... I don't think there's much you can do.
Street bikes lock the forks, and theives even break those.

I'd park it in the room... book downstairs.

• Beef

Posted February 13, 2005 - 08:08 AM

Let me see if I can remember the directions he gave (if I miss something, please chime in!)

Did I miss anything? Correct/clarify as necessary! :)

One small thing...If you are using an LED, they are designed to work from about a 2v power source. Put in a 400-500 Ohm resistor in series, or you will burn it up in seconds. Keep in mind that LEDs have a polarity like the other diode too. If you don't know what you are doing, stick with a standard 12v light bulb.

• basicblues

Posted February 15, 2005 - 05:40 PM

Hey Dave,
Did you take photo's of your key install/neutral indicator light for your website?

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted February 15, 2005 - 06:15 PM

Dan

Its been done and yes, its doable. PM "WheelsUp" and he can give you the skinny!

• ddialogue

Posted February 15, 2005 - 06:21 PM

Hey Dave,
Did you take photo's of your key install/neutral indicator light for your website?

I don't have them posted yet (I'm so lazy...) but here's a couple of teasers.

This is a shot of the bracket and key switch without the LED's. When I took this shot, I thought I was finished with the project... :)
Bracket and Key switch before LED were installed

Here's a shot of the finished bracket and key switch. I may yet still have an updated bracket made that drops the key a half an inch lower or so. At this point, I just wanted it finished. :) The green LED is the neutral indicator and the red LED is the power indicator.
FRONT view
TOP view

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 15, 2005 - 06:52 PM

Great job Dave! :) :) :p
Now are we going to be able to by them from you and call it the "Dialogue ignition kit" ! :D How much is the total parts cost? :D

• ddialogue

Posted February 15, 2005 - 08:19 PM

Great job Dave! :) ;) :)
Now are we going to be able to by them from you and call it the "Dialogue ignition kit" ! :o How much is the total parts cost? :p

hahaha...NO WAY! :D

TT-R125LE key switch: $54.95
LED's and diode: $5.00
Misc bolts: $2.00
Aluminum scrap: $free

WR with a cool green LED neutral switch: GEEKY (but in a cool sort of way... :D )

• WheelsUp

Posted February 15, 2005 - 10:06 PM

Here's a shot of the finished bracket and key switch.

Beautiful! :) :p :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.