Help with rear spring replacement!

6 replies to this topic
  • Wezldoc

Posted January 26, 2005 - 11:35 PM

Changing my stock spring with a heavier one...I weigh 225lbs :cry: . Went to Race Tech put in appropriate info said I should use a 5.6 kg spring. Took off rear shock, stuck trying to take off origional spring! How is is done :cry: ? There is a large gold colored nut on the dampinging rod leading into bottom part that holds the bearing/bolt hole that connects to swing arm. Please let me know how to remove spring! Info much apperciated :cry:

• WR450_in_Turkey

Posted January 27, 2005 - 12:28 AM

Undo the 2 sag adjustment rings (the upper one is the locknut) all the way up. The spring then comes loose. There is a collar at the bottom of the shock spring which has a slot in it. Slide that out and the spring base plate. Spring will then slide off the bottom. :cry:

• mtrablue

Posted January 27, 2005 - 03:04 AM

some of us are not so sure the race tech numbers are correct. they seem to be on the light side. at 225, you need a 5.8.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BubZ

Posted January 27, 2005 - 04:36 AM

Where can you go to get the correct spring numbers? I weigh 220 and although I am just breaking in the suspension, I would like to re-spring before the serious riding season starts.

• SXP

Posted January 27, 2005 - 04:47 AM

some of us are not so sure the race tech numbers are correct. they seem to be on the light side. at 225, you need a 5.8.

More like 6.0-6.2. You are NOT going to get correct sag numbers with anything less :cry:

Post this question in the Suspension forum (or do a search - it's been answered may times before) and you should have an answer from one of the Suspension tuners who hang out there.

• oldbones

Posted January 27, 2005 - 09:26 AM

I agree on the numbers. I weigh 200, and have a 5.6 (Ti). It is a huge improvement over stock, but if I had it to do over, I would get at least a 5.8.

It's easiest if you loosen the spring collars with the shock still mounted in the bike, then pull it out, remove them completely and swap the spring.

• WR450_in_Turkey

Posted January 28, 2005 - 12:04 AM

Strange! I weigh in at 210 and I fitted a 5.6 and the sag sets up just fine. The numbers cant be wrong so maybe its just the differences in individual springs? :cry:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.