free mods???

7 replies to this topic
  • GasAHolic

Posted January 26, 2005 - 05:12 PM

what's a free mod?

• mousemeat

Posted January 27, 2005 - 02:29 AM

one that costs little to no money. Usually needed to make the bike run properly and circumvent goofy government imposed restrictions.

• GasAHolic

Posted January 27, 2005 - 11:19 AM

Interesting term. They always cost me $..... Wish I had some mechanical skills.... :cry:

• snmhanson

Posted January 27, 2005 - 01:03 PM

Interesting term. They always cost me $..... Wish I had some mechanical skills.... :cry:

Sound like you've already had them done but I'll say this anyway. I was going to have the shop do my mods as I didn't have enough confidence in my mechanical abilities to do them. I figured I might as well take the seat, tank and plastics off though to make it easier for the shop but after I got them off I just kept going. As it turns out the mods really are as easy as everyone here makes them out to be. Sure jetting takes a little trial and error but there is alot of great advice here on TT and after you do the jetting once getting to the carb is not a big deal at all. The biggest payoff to me was learning about how the bike works so now if anything happens when I'm not around a shop I will have a better chance of being able to trouble-shoot and fix it. So to others out there, if you have the tools and the time I would recommend at least considering doing the mods yourself. I can't guarantee that you'll be able to do them yourself but if I can do them I'm sure most other people who've ever turned a screwdriver should be able to as well. Of course if you want the piece of mind that goes with having a trained mechanic do them that is understandable also.

Matt

Matt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mjslim

Posted January 27, 2005 - 01:26 PM

The biggest payoff to me was learning about how the bike works so now if anything happens when I'm not around a shop I will have a better chance of being able to trouble-shoot and fix it.

its essential knowledge......................consider it a rite of passage. When you can swap the jets from the float bowl, grasshopper, then you are ready to ride

• mousemeat

Posted January 27, 2005 - 01:41 PM

trained mechanic

some trained mechanics are monkeys. Do stuff yourself! :cry:

• snmhanson

Posted January 27, 2005 - 02:59 PM

some trained mechanics are monkeys. Do stuff yourself! :cry:

I agree. However, the mechanic that works at my shop uses this board sometimes and I didn't want him to think that I thought he was a monkey (which I don't). But there have definately been some monkeys, maybe even apes, at other shops I have dealt with.

• Raistlin

Posted January 27, 2005 - 03:13 PM

It amazes me how some of these people get a job at a dealership. When I bought my first 2002wr250 I asked the mechanic (monkey) at the dealership if they could set up my bike for me. He had no idea of what I was talking about. So I found TT and off I went on my own. I did have a lot of time working on 2 smokes but none on the new 4 strokes. After alot of reading on this site and a little time I was amazed how easy it really was. Funny thing is, the dealer rode my bike after it was done and freaked out how well it ran. He ended up sending all the wr's he sold to me to have all the "free mods" done. Could not complain though, it ended up being money in my pocket and a whole lot of experience! Do not be scared, it is all quite easy, really. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.