Front brake line swap out, CR style-help

15 replies to this topic
  • Jetsprint2

Posted January 26, 2005 - 10:48 AM

I am replacing my stock front brake line with a galfer SS front line (CR routed). I would like it if you guys could help me with instructions for clamping the line to the fork guard and bleeding the brake properly when installed. Thanks :cry:

• oldblue

Posted January 26, 2005 - 10:54 AM

Admittedly I'm partial to this product because I make it and sell them...

http://www.hevanet.com/bertg/4sale.htm

If interested you can PM me for the TT deal.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2005 - 10:55 AM

Dr.D makes a nice little brake line mount for this swap.

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 26, 2005 - 11:03 AM

What about bleeding the brakes? Is this hard to do?

• oldblue

Posted January 26, 2005 - 11:05 AM

Get a brake bleeder from Sears or do it the old fashioned way. Pump, release pressure, pump, release pressure, pump, release pressure. Get the picture? Need to make sure you keep the reservoir filled the whole time.

• Chills

Posted January 26, 2005 - 07:04 PM

http://motoman393.th...tech/brake.html

• condog_aus

Posted January 27, 2005 - 02:14 AM

Theres got to be a sexier piece of metal instead of that strapping.

• Jackazz

Posted January 27, 2005 - 10:28 AM

If the line & clamp are installed correctly there is no need for The plumbers strap/zip-ty. The only movement of the brake line when the forks compress will be above the point where it is clamped to the fork guard, the section of the line between clamp on the guard & the caliper will remain static through the fork's travel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jetsprint2

Posted January 27, 2005 - 10:38 AM

http://motoman393.th...tech/brake.html

This set-up looks like a junior high school D- student shop project. I have heard of being resourceful but come-on. Plummer's tape as a mount for the brake line? I've never seen that type of farmer brown machanics in the State of Idaho! :cry: :cry: :cry:

• R_Little

Posted January 27, 2005 - 10:55 AM

I use OldBlues clamp. It works well. Looks good to!!!

• slappie

Posted January 27, 2005 - 11:58 AM

I've got the Fastline brake line as well and noticed this weekend that the actual braided line inside the hard plastic (top of clamp) and clear (bottom of clamp) hose actually moved.

Not sure if my clamp isn't tight enough or what but it definitely moved. This had the effect of giving more slack underneath the clamp and the line almost hitting the spokes.

I thought something else happend but then noticed that the radius of the bend in the line going over the numberplate was very tight. I pulled up on the line itself and it slid up and everything was normal again.

To keep it in place, I peeled back the heat shrink at the top of the line (at the top of the stiff black plastic 'stiffener' tube) and put a small piece of safety wire around the braided line. Then I tucked the end down and slide the heat shrink back down around it all so it is hidden.

I also tightened my clamp up!

Anyway, this gives a little extra insurance and won't let the line slide around in the protective tubing.

Probably doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense, now that I go back and read it but if it has happened to you you'll know what I'm talking about.

• Yamahafan

Posted January 27, 2005 - 06:40 PM

Bleeding the brake line --

Speaking from experience, I sincerely recommend using a squeeze bottle full of brake fluid to fill the brake line from the bottom. This method is very similar to filling the lower end of an outboard motor with gear oil. This method is much faster and produces almost no air bubbles.

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 28, 2005 - 10:02 AM

Bleeding the brake line --

Speaking from experience, I sincerely recommend using a squeeze bottle full of brake fluid to fill the brake line from the bottom. This method is very similar to filling the lower end of an outboard motor with gear oil. This method is much faster and produces almost no air bubbles.

I fill the lower unit on my Merc. 250 optimax using this method. Great advice, I can relate and will use this method to bleed the brake line. :cry:

• cowboyona426

Posted January 28, 2005 - 12:14 PM

For bleeding, get some rubber tubing and a big syringe (farm supply store). Run about 12-18 inches of rubber hose from the bleeder to the syringe. Fill the MC, crack the bleeder, and suck the air out. It works, but takes a little while. I also used the oldblue clamp and it worked perfect.

• FZ1426

Posted January 28, 2005 - 04:36 PM

What he said!

• MC04

Posted January 31, 2005 - 03:47 PM

Ordered a DrD kit last Thursday. Should be here sometime this week. I'll take some pics.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.