New VIN number system for 05?

My father and I were talking the other night about Canadian WRs and their VIN numbers. There has always been a "flag" number or letter that signifies the bike as an OHV. The US models have always had it and the Euro/Canadian bikes didn't. I can't remember what the combo was, third digit a 3 or C, or was it the 8th or 9th digit?

Looking at my VIN number # JYACJ07Y05A001457 I don't see what used to be the flag....

Any thoughts?

Dan

My US model has 17 digits. When I had it titled though, the VA DMV computers wouldn't recognize the VIN. They said it was probably because Yamaha had made some changes in their numbering scheme. ?

I didn't ask any questions, grabbed the plate and title, and made my way to the nearest exit. ?

The 8th digit of the VIN doesn't neccesarily mean it's an OHV.....just signifies whether it's a red or green sticker according to CARB's website. This was important prior to Jan 2004 because a green sticker bike could still be converted to street legal here in CA. Canadian bikes did not have a 3 or a C in the 8th digit of the VIN and that's how some people who bought Canadian model (red sticker model) bikes got plates for them.

Now, just about all the loopholes have been slammed shut by CARB. ? It is still legal to convert in CA, you just have to have a green sticker bike that has been tested/approved for on-hwy emmision standards by the manufacturer and since the manufacturer sell them as OHV's, they aren't even tested at all for on-hwy emmisions (after all, why would they). This is the dilema! ???

Either the manufacturers need to do this certification (which they most likely will never do) or the law needs to be changed to allow a green stickered off-hwy bike to be tested for emmisions by the owner (not the manufacturer) in order to qualify. Or, a third option would be to eliminate CARB all together! ?

The 8th digit of the VIN doesn't neccesarily mean it's an OHV.....just signifies whether it's a red or green sticker according to CARB's website. This was important prior to Jan 2004 because a green sticker bike could still be converted to street legal here in CA. Canadian bikes did not have a 3 or a C in the 8th digit of the VIN and that's how some people who bought Canadian model (red sticker model) bikes got plates for them.

Ah yes, my 8th digit is a "W". In fact, my VIN wasnt in the system (State Patrol database) at all. When I titled it, they asked me what model it was. I did my US WR426F and it came up after the VIN was entered into the system as Off Road/Enduro. ? Nice to know its a green sticker for California, might be a selling feature someday! ?

That "8th" position of the VIN is why I bought Canadian. Noticed later there is no US federal emissions sticker at all which could have caused me problems here in CA during the reg process, but didn't.

I read somewhere that some Harleys have a "C" in that VIN position but since they come from the factory with an "on road" MSO they are allowed to get plates. I was able to get my "02 WR plated (VIN 3), but I had to pull some paperwork trickery. ? Also I think some of those federal emission stickers have a part number and you can order them from Yamaha. (I'm not sure about the WR, I don't even know where my federal emission label is). Are the new 450's easy to get a CA plate for since they are green sticker? If so, the value of my 426 just dropped....

I did my US WR426F and it came up after the VIN was entered into the system as Off Road/Enduro. ? Nice to know its a green sticker for California, might be a selling feature someday! ?

What year 426 was that? All pre-2003 bikes have been grandfathered in as green stickered. 2003+ are subject to the new laws.

Apparently, there were so many loopholes that nobody at DMV knew what was going on. Of course, that hasn't changed.... but they decided to start fresh in '03.

Are the new 450's easy to get a CA plate for since they are green sticker? If so, the value of my 426 just dropped....

The red-stickered WR's have no federal emissions label.

The green-stickered offroad bikes can still not be plated unless you get very creative with bending rules, which requires friendly CHP and DMV officers.

They've closed a lot of the loopholes over the last 2 years and it's nearly impossible to do now.

My next goal is getting a plate for a Japanese NSR 250...Take a look at the VIN: MC21-1041034 ? Yea, that's it 11 digits only...I don't think this one will be possible without a big bribe to CHP or the special construction route but I will try anyway...

What year 426 was that? All pre-2003 bikes have been grandfathered in as green stickered. 2003+ are subject to the new laws.
Rich (and how is the Tundra treating you:excuseme: ? ) My 450 is an 04 and the 8th digit is a "W", my 426 was an 01, but it was a US bike and was green stickered. My main point was plating it in my state. They dont look for green, they look for "off road" and buying the Candian 04 WR450F was the ONLY way I could buy new and plate it in my state. The fact its a green is just an extra plus as no US spec'd 04 WR450F is green!?

Apparently, there were so many loopholes that nobody at DMV knew what was going on. Of course, that hasn't changed.... but they decided to start fresh in '03.

I was reading they grandfathered so many bikes because after they red stickered everything, no body was either buying any bikes or registerign them. They lost lots or revenue!

Rich (and how is the Tundra treating you:excuseme: ? )
Now what would you expect ?

Getting ready to attack the timing belt... studying the manuals and collecting the parts.

My 450 is an 04 and the 8th digit is a "W", my 426 was an 01, but it was a US bike and was green stickered. My main point was plating it in my state. They dont look for green, they look for "off road" and buying the Candian 04 WR450F was the ONLY way I could buy new and plate it in my state.

Okay... ya... plating is an entirely different animal. There are some states where it's easy to get any bike plated if it has the right equipment... probably the states that don't even require registration for OHV.

Now what would you expect ?

Getting ready to attack the timing belt... studying the manuals and collecting the parts.

Plan on doing the water pump. There is 2 rubber o-rings you will need also. Assembling the front covers only is the same order they came off. Its a real jig saw puzzle and pay close attention to the location of the crank sensor wire. Make sure it goes back in the same location. Otherwise, no pitfalls! Oh yeah, use OE parts only!? PM me for any particulars if needed.