what oil do you use with your rekluse?

15 replies to this topic
  • mtrablue

Posted January 25, 2005 - 09:01 PM

I've had my Recluse clutch for a while now and just can't seem to come up with an engine oil that gives me the best clutch performance. I've been using Spectro oils in my bikes for a few years but had to much "slip" when the Rekluse was installed. As per company advice, I went with the additional carbide balls. At that time i changed to the suggested Chevron Delo series oil. The clutch worked great but the oil seemed to break down pretty quick. I was worried that the Chevron oil just wasn't up to the needs of a modern four stroke. I started using the Yamalube4 but I'm still not convinced I've found the right oil. What are the rest of you Rekluse owners using?

• robertt

Posted January 25, 2005 - 09:12 PM

red-cap

• Chipstien

Posted January 25, 2005 - 10:19 PM

I believe Rekluse reccomends Delo. :cry:

• Desracer

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:13 PM

The boys at Rekluse like the Delo oil and it works well in my bike also. They also change the oil in their bikes often, like rides of 50 miles. With my bikes hour meter my oil changes are down to 10 hours max running time. On really hard on the clutch rides even less time between changes. As they say it's a small price to pay for the performance of the clutch and your engine life. On really hot days I have used Valvoline 40wt, the straight weight oil breaks down slower and gave me good clutch action.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 26, 2005 - 07:38 AM

i use the delo mixed 50/50 with the mobil 1 redcap 15-50. it works very well,i can tell the difference in the way the clutch engages its alot smoother with the mix compared to straight delo or straight mobil 1. best of both worlds??? :cry:

• bigdrtrdr

Posted January 26, 2005 - 08:51 AM

I havent treid mixing oils yet but, Mobile 1 R/C works great for me.

• RichBaker

Posted January 26, 2005 - 01:05 PM

Castrol ACT-EVO 10w40, year-round.

• youngwerth

Posted January 26, 2005 - 04:50 PM

Why do you think your oil is breaking down? Because it gets dark quicker? Dark oil does not necessarily mean it's breaking down. Delo is a detergent oil so it cleans while it lubes. If you're worried about breakdown, have some of your old oil analyzed.

Chevron also makes a full synthetic Delo but I haven't tried it yet. I've still got about 7.5 gallons of the semi synthetic stuff to burn through first.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted January 26, 2005 - 05:13 PM

thanks everybody. where else can i go and get advice from all over the country? i'm leaning toward the 50/50 mix right now.

the reason i felt the oil was breaking down was from a change in the clutch action over a short time. it got very grabby (if that's a word) and the tranny shifted kinda rough. it didn't get better when i had a chance to let it cool off. small adjustments on the spring tension didn't do anything. after that i figured the oil was wasted.

• trav

Posted January 26, 2005 - 05:26 PM

are you sure you have the install gap correct on your rekluse? I'd pull the clutch cover and recheck it.

• Desracer

Posted January 26, 2005 - 10:42 PM

I think your oil was wasted, when I run mine too long you can tell it. The hour meter works well for oil changes, but you can tell how the oil is doing by how the clutch works. The thing to remember is the same oil lubes the engine and oil is cheap!

• Chas_M

Posted February 05, 2005 - 11:30 PM

Do not use synthetic or semi-synthetic oil in your auto clutch, especially the Rekluse clutch. The problem with the Rekluse clutch is that they slip under high rpm, high load situations - - noticeably more so than in the RevLoc clutch. Petroleum based diesel oils such as DELO and Rotella work very well with auto clutches, and motorcycle engines in general. Don't worry about these oils "breaking down" as you will be changing the oil way before it wears out.

• qadsan

Posted February 06, 2005 - 12:07 AM

...The problem with the Rekluse clutch is that they slip under high rpm, high load situations ...

That doesn't make sense to me? At high RPM, the Rekluse clutch will provide more clamping pressure than the stock clutch and therefore less slip, unless something is wrong. As the engine RPM increases, increasing inertia forces the balls outward up their tapered ramps, which in turn increases the clamping pressure. The Revloc continues to increase clamping pressure as engine RPM increases where as the Rekluse is designed with an engineered maximum clamping pressure to minimize undo stress to the drivetrain. For instance, if your rear wheel is spinning wildly fast (much faster than you're going) and then all of a sudden it hooks up, all that energy has to go somewhere and if the clutch is locked (no slip), then your gearbox will be subjected to the extra load/shock that your stock clutch would normally help dissapate.

I've also used various petroleum, semi-synthetic and full synthetic oils with our Rekluse clutches and haven't had any issues with unexpected slipping, etc, but there are definitely oils out there that are more prone clutch slip issues than others.

• ncmountainman

Posted February 06, 2005 - 07:07 AM

Do not use synthetic or semi-synthetic oil in your auto clutch, especially the Rekluse clutch. The problem with the Rekluse clutch is that they slip under high rpm, high load situations - - noticeably more so than in the RevLoc clutch. Petroleum based diesel oils such as DELO and Rotella work very well with auto clutches, and motorcycle engines in general. Don't worry about these oils "breaking down" as you will be changing the oil way before it wears out.

the 15-40 delo is syn based.(it's a blend) i use delo 15-40/mobil 1 redcap 15-50 mixed 50/50 with excellent results. although both of these oils are changing formulations to include more moly and i don't know how thats gonna work.(just when you find sumthin' that works !!)

• ncmountainman

Posted March 15, 2005 - 06:26 AM

well this new delo 400 15-40 CI-4+ with moly seems to work very well with the rekluse. after about a week on the telephone with chevron and its additive company oranite i found that the moly used is of the soluble type and will not build up on the clutch plates like the MoS2 does. i've used the new stuff 2 wknds in a row now and it still has the original viscosity of when it went in the bike. its has a way smoother engagement that feels as if more power is getting down. and its not slipping at all after full engagement. the trannie shifts smoother,and oil temps are even lower. i've spoke to al at rekluse and he is going to test it this wknd. i've spoke to several other people that have been using the MoTDC(soluble moly) in they're bikes and love it. i'm gonna continue using the new delo and will let you know if any issues arise. :) but as far as i can tell the bike is very happy with the new delo 15-40 by itself without mixing it w/M1. two2cool was used in both oils with great results also.

• WR450_in_Turkey

Posted March 15, 2005 - 06:49 AM

I dont have the same wide range of oils to choose from here as you guys do but Mobil super S 10-40 works fine for me. It is a semi-synthetic oil and has no slip or drag issues. Neutral is easy to find without the aid of the clutch lever either hot or cold. Lasts about 500kms between changes. What more could you want? :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.