Good valve spring compressor

5 replies to this topic
  • minioutlaw

Posted January 25, 2005 - 07:55 PM

Who makes a good valve spring compressor that will work on my XR600? I wish I hadn't so many occasions to use one lately...

• bork

Posted May 06, 2015 - 06:22 PM

Who makes a good valve spring compressor that will work on my XR600? I wish I hadn't so many occasions to use one lately...

does anyone know if this will be ok to get the keepers out? I dont plan on doing very many & was wandering if it would get by for the few times I may need.

http://www.harborfre...ssor-60335.html

On edit, I know the title says, "good" but if it will get me by.

Edited by bork, May 06, 2015 - 06:45 PM.

• Joisey

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:32 PM

I don't have the HF compressor, but I have a Lisle unit that is the same size.  It will not work on small size motorcycle valve springs and definitely is not made for double sprung valves.  You want a C style compressor.  Look on Ebay for small engine C style valve spring  compressors. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • heart_of_darkness

Posted May 07, 2015 - 02:21 PM

I just use a C clamp. To get access to the keepers, get some 1" square box tubing or a sacrificial socket and dremel a window in the side.

• cal50

Posted May 07, 2015 - 03:13 PM

A big C clamp with a slot to clear the valve stem works well.

• bork

Posted May 07, 2015 - 04:23 PM

well I got desperate & tried the HF, with no success. I made sure I kept receipt! Called advance auto parts & they have the c type for loaning  :banana:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.