How do you get up that hill?

29 replies to this topic
  • w_ahhh450

Posted January 27, 2005 - 01:37 AM

The best advice I've gotten is to look well ahead when going up the hill.
Stand up if you can look towards the top and hit it hard! :cry: You will more often than not surprise yourself :cry: The bike will move around a bit but if you can stand up the bike can move under you.
Same as in golf really, if you look at it you will hit it? strange but true.
I used to look at deep ruts going uphill and usually run in to one or more and stop or get stuck or look at the sky :cry:

Down hill knees into the area where the seat/tank meet lets some weight off your arms and ride the front brake to where it nearly locks and if it's really steep turn off the key and ride compression with the clutch and dodge snotty stuff with your feet or as a last resort get off and wrench it down.

P.s If you get a chance in Australia to go there, get to the area inland from coffs harbour, it's sh*t hot maybe one of Heffo's rides with Boris?

• CraigW

Posted January 27, 2005 - 02:27 AM

Turning the motor off is not a good idea.
It will lock the back wheel the minute you release the clutch (particularly a 4 stroke).

To run against compression, the motor is best left running

• boob426

Posted January 27, 2005 - 03:17 AM

cain the mother out of it and jump out the top

• DesertWR

Posted January 27, 2005 - 09:40 AM

Grab a load of Jawbone in CA City- It'll make or break you and you have to learn how to ascend an descend real quick! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• bottomfeeder2

Posted January 27, 2005 - 10:53 AM

I used to look at deep ruts going uphill and usually run in to one or more and stop or get stuck or look at the sky :cry:

Look at where you want to go, not where you don't want to go. If you look at the magnetic tree/rock/rut, you will hit the magnetic tree/rock/rut. :cry: If you look at the gap between the rock and the tree, you will pass through the gap and live to tell about it. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumperstu

Posted January 27, 2005 - 11:41 AM

I grabbed too much front brake on a downhill section of loose stuff last time out and promptly fell off and broke my wrist!!!
As for up hill twist throttle close your eyes and pray!!!

• Treebanger

Posted January 27, 2005 - 12:57 PM

I let the bike roll /coast pickup speed , body to the rear ,light front end I try to let the bike roll with as little brake as I can get by with. Tends to get the bike over the real rough areas. Sometimes it is possible to motor over stumps rocks Bah Bah Bah!! with this downhill style. Uphill I try to keep the momentum as fast as I can . The real trick to uphill or downhill riding is to have a suspension that does not deflect and soaks up the hits.

• Beef

Posted January 27, 2005 - 03:31 PM

I let the bike roll /coast pickup speed , body to the rear ,light front end I try to let the bike roll with as little brake as I can get by with. Tends to get the bike over the real rough areas. Sometimes it is possible to motor over stumps rocks Bah Bah Bah!! with this downhill style. Uphill I try to keep the momentum as fast as I can . The real trick to uphill or downhill riding is to have a suspension that does not deflect and soaks up the hits.

LOL. I think I see where you got your nickname! :cry:

• smithpa68

Posted January 27, 2005 - 06:33 PM

Up: Stay out of the ruts.

Down: Stay out of the ruts.

Flat: Stay out of the ruts.

Amen!!!! :cry:

• CraigW

Posted January 30, 2005 - 11:30 PM

If traction is very poor, riding up in a rut can actually help.

One makes use of the side knobblies of the rear tyre as they bite into the walls of the rut. Of course, this technique is used for slow technical climbs, not for stuff where you use momentum, as the rut will then tend to deflect you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.