coolant dripping from weep hole

14 replies to this topic
  • lug900rr

Posted January 25, 2005 - 02:30 PM

When I started my 426 Sunday morning it began to drip coolant from the weep hole at the bottom of the water pump. It was fairly cold outside (40 degrees) so I took the bike for a couple of laps and came back and checked the bike's temperature with a temp gun and checked the coolant level. The coolant level was still very full and the outside temps of the bike were still low
(head was 110, cylinder was 112, and raditor was 70) and the drip was very slow compared to when I started it. So I took the bike out for a harder 10 lap run and came back in and checked the outer temps (they were the same) and checked the coolant level after the bike cooled down. The coolant level was down about an eigth of an inch from full, so I packed up and took it home.

So this morning I called my local dealer and talked to them. They told me it is most likely the water pump seals and shaft, but could possibly be the head gasket! I have found no water in the oil and the bike felt strong the entire time I rode it Sunday, could it still be the head gasket? I would very surprised.

I ordered all seals, shaft and necessary parts for the water pump today, I just want ed you guys opinion of this situation.

Regards,
Lug

• JT_Thumpster

Posted January 25, 2005 - 03:25 PM

i would say you made the right decision in a water pump rebuild, i would highly doubt that it is a head gasket. chances of that in this situation are like 1:1,000,000.

• yz007f

Posted January 25, 2005 - 04:14 PM

I have seen coolent leak from the weep hole by over filling the rad. Its kinda normal to see it do that. My guess is that the bike was real cold and the level came up. Could be the seals but see if it stops before you rush into changing the seal. Thats just what I've found with these bikes. Never seen a water pump seal go yet.

• drewpeacock

Posted January 25, 2005 - 04:21 PM

My 01 426 blew a head gasket next to the water jacket and the water never got to the oil because the cylinder pressure was much greater than the water pressure.

• lug900rr

Posted January 25, 2005 - 04:49 PM

Tonight I found that there was a white milky substance that came out of the breather connected to the valve cover. Now I am thinking crap, I blew a head gasket. So I drained oil, expecting to find more milk like looking substance coming out, and much to my surprise the oil was dark brown. If it had water it it it must be very little. I guess I am going to continue on my path of rebuilding the water pump. WHat do you guys think?

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2005 - 05:40 PM

The head gasket simply isn't indicated by your symptoms. The water at the weep hole is due to a leaking seal at the impeller shaft. I won't mix oil in the water because there are 2 seals on the shaft, spaced about a quarter inch apart, and either fluid that leaks falls out through the weep hole before it gets to the other seal. That's why it's like that. Be sure to check for a groove worn into the shaft by the seal, and replace the shaft if there is one.

The milky stuff in the breather is from condensation and atmospheric moisture drawn up into it as the engine cooled off, and is a normal occurrence.

The head gasket can only allow water into the oil on the cam chain side, along the left side of the cylinder. If it was to do that, it would also almost always raise the radiator pressure to the point of blowing coolant out the vent fairly quickly when ridden.

• bushy

Posted January 25, 2005 - 05:55 PM

The head gasket simply isn't indicated by your symptoms. The water at the weep hole is due to a leaking seal at the impeller shaft. I won't mix oil in the water because there are 2 seals on the shaft, spaced about a quarter inch apart, and either fluid that leaks falls out through the weep hole before it gets to the other seal. That's why it's like that. Be sure to check for a groove worn into the shaft by the seal, and replace the shaft if there is one.

The milky stuff in the breather is from condensation and atmospheric moisture drawn up into it as the engine cooled off, and is a normal occurrence.

The head gasket can only allow water into the oil on the cam chain side, along the left side of the cylinder. If it was to do that, it would also almost always raise the radiator pressure to the point of blowing coolant out the vent fairly quickly when ridden.

What he said.

Coolant from the weep hole just happens when your seal is bad, it has happened to me before.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RJB

Posted January 25, 2005 - 08:36 PM

Tonight I found that there was a white milky substance that came out of the breather connected to the valve cover. Now I am thinking crap, I blew a head gasket. So I drained oil, expecting to find more milk like looking substance coming out, and much to my surprise the oil was dark brown. If it had water it it it must be very little. I guess I am going to continue on my path of rebuilding the water pump. WHat do you guys think?

Check some other posts and you'll find this is quite normal - I'd go with the water pump rebuild only

• Frostbite

Posted January 26, 2005 - 06:24 AM

I’ve replaced my seals 2ce and shaft once. I’d suggest replacing both since my first set of seals didn’t last very long with the old shaft. Here’s a few pics to help clarify the leak. The weep hole is located behind the water impeller at the bottom of the side cover. I’m guessing that it’s there to prevent oil and water from mixing. Any pressure from either side is released through the hole. I can’t see how overfilling coolant could cause this hole to weep.
There is an oil seal on the oil side and a water seal on the water side. My water seal started leaking both times but I replaced the oil seal just in case. Make sure you install the seals with the numbers facing in, so once they’re in they are facing each other, both sides with the round spring are facing away from the weep hole.

• lug900rr

Posted February 01, 2005 - 06:32 AM

I wanted to thank all of you for your help. It was the water pump. I rebuilt it with seals, shaft and new bearing, and everything is working great.

• Frostbite

Posted February 01, 2005 - 07:57 AM

I wanted to thank all of you for your help. It was the water pump. I rebuilt it with seals, shaft and new bearing, and everything is working great.

cool.:cry:

• markyz450

Posted February 01, 2005 - 05:13 PM

a dab of grease in the weep hole will also keep mud @ grit out making the seal last longer. if it does leak down the road the pressure will push the grease out and start dripping again as designed.

• RJB

Posted February 01, 2005 - 09:39 PM

great news - glad that's all it was, for your sake :cry:

• Mitchel

Posted February 11, 2005 - 01:28 PM

Hey Guys. I'm having this same problem. Can anyone offer some procedural advice on how to change the seals?

Answer here, or by email.

Thanks in advance!!

Mitchel

mitchel@lonestartrackdays.com

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2005 - 05:48 PM

Remove the clutch side engine cover and the water pump cover. The rest will be pretty obvious. It's a simple job, just pay attention to the details.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.