Why WR why not YZF?

16 replies to this topic
  • coyote222

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:20 AM

Looking over all of these posts, everyone with a WR is doing all the mods to make it run like a YZ. (including myself) I am starting to question my decision on the purchase. Maybe I shouldn't have spent the extra $500 bucks for a headlight? What are all the major differences between the WR and YZF other than the tranny?

• firezwr426

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:28 AM

It is a lot cheaper and easier to get yz qualities out of the wr than it is to get wr qualities out of a yz.. out of the box the wr is more trail freindly with softer susspensoin, as the yz is set up for track and racing... the wr also has the usfs approved spark arrestor.. just to name a few things..

• BIGMatt

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:32 AM

Dont forget about the W ide R atio transmision, lighting coil, bigger gas tank, bigger radiators w/ overflow tank, and the best part of all..... the Magic Button!

• Dan_from_HB

Posted January 25, 2005 - 04:31 PM

18" rear wheel also.
But wide ratio is what did it for me. I ride in the desert where speeds range from 2mph to low '90's. YZ just won't do that range.
With the technical hills we climb (rocks, silt, sand, etc), the stiff YZ suspension is nearly uncontrollable.

• DesertWR

Posted January 25, 2005 - 04:46 PM

Amen to the climbing. My partner rides a YZ450, myself a WR. I kill him on hill climbs :cry: Plus if I do fall, that button makes all the difference-Not to mention the night ride into Randsburg for a drink or two :cry: :cry:
Oh yeah, WOT-The WR smokes his YZand all he can do is :cry:

• cruise

Posted January 25, 2005 - 05:36 PM

I went with the WR because they come road registered here. I have to ride about 1/4 mile to get to my local riding area and my neighbors kept ringing the police on me for riding down the street on my other bikes. Now they still do but they cant do jack :cry:

• cali450

Posted January 25, 2005 - 05:38 PM

Now...now....now....I don't know about "smokes" my YZ but sure it pulls ahead. What my partner neglected to tell ya'll is that off the line I was grabbin 3rd in the 1/4 mile while he was waiting for his second gear to ring out. Yeah..Yeah... I know... we run in the desert, but when I bought the bike I was running w/ CR250's. I am going to get that WR but I gotta sell this one first. I'm sure I'll put a few more dent's before I sell it. Later

• jaggley

Posted January 25, 2005 - 05:41 PM

Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed Electric start, 5-speed v Electric start, 5-speed :mad: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :devil: :devil: :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ttr125lerider

Posted January 25, 2005 - 05:47 PM

yz250f=5 speed

• bottomfeeder2

Posted January 25, 2005 - 05:50 PM

Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. :mad: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :devil: :devil: :D :D

• WheelsUp

Posted January 25, 2005 - 06:10 PM

Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker. Green Sticker.

But.....
Capped fuel screw & nonadjustable jet needle. Capped fuel screw & nonadjustable jet needle. Capped fuel screw & nonadjustable jet needle. Capped fuel screw & nonadjustable jet needle. Capped fuel screw & nonadjustable jet needle. Capped fuel screw & nonadjustable jet needle. Capped fuel screw & nonadjustable jet needle. Capped fuel screw & nonadjustable jet needle. Capped fuel screw & nonadjustable jet needle. Capped fuel screw & nonadjustable jet needle. :cry: :D :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :devil: :devil:
I know... a JD kit fixes the needle and the cap comes off... :D

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 25, 2005 - 06:30 PM

But.....
Capped fuel screw & nonadjustable jet needle...
I know... a JD kit fixes the needle and the cap comes off... :cry:

Hey Rich, "if man made it, man can defeat it" :cry:

• Beef

Posted January 25, 2005 - 08:10 PM

Okay, so my big question: Why not a WZF? or a WRZ? Something like that. Basically the bike that so many of us REALLY want. At least a NON-Kaliforniastan model WR??!!

I'm glad that Yammi makes green sticker bikes for the Californians, but what about the rest of us that DON'T want OR need all that crap? It seems to me that Yammaha could actually save money by making two models...keep the damn AIS, and give me an adjustable needle!

• Hamish

Posted January 25, 2005 - 08:22 PM

I feel sorry for you guys. Down here in convict country you can buy a YZ250WR (which is a YZ250 2 banger with lights and a quieter muffler) and ride it away from the dealership :cry:
Every WR/CRFX/DRZ/EXC is road registered from the dealership

• WheelsUp

Posted January 25, 2005 - 08:29 PM

Okay, so my big question: Why not a WZF? or a WRZ? Something like that. Basically the bike that so many of us REALLY want. At least a NON-Kaliforniastan model WR??!!

That's basically what many of us do with our WR's.
YZ cam, plug the AIS, rejet the carb, change the throttle stop, FMF-Q, and we're all set with the following advantages:

18" wheel puts more meat between the rocks and the rim, wide-ratio tranny, headlight for those late-night returns to camp, and EEEEEE-Start!

The problem is the gubbament is involved... even if California wasn't totally over the top, we'd STILL have crap on our bikes that we don't want. The WR250F is still a red stickered bike, but it's just as plugged up, leaned out, and detuned as every other US bike.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 25, 2005 - 08:39 PM

Why not both? :cry:

• Chipstien

Posted January 25, 2005 - 10:24 PM

Why not both? :cry:

Good idea. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.