decompression plug, requirement or luxury?

2 replies to this topic
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted January 25, 2005 - 08:49 AM

I see a lot of advertisements for a decompression plug, after the cam is upgraded to one with auto decomp. I´ve seen decompressed bikes simply keeping their original plug with lever. Is there any problem in doing so? Is the aftermarket plug a requirement or luxury item?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdie426

Posted January 25, 2005 - 08:59 AM

It's a luxury item. You can take off the lever and cable and leave the compresison release in the head if you like. You should take the lever and cable off, tho, so you don't accidently (out of habit) pull the lever while trying to start, as I expect that will trash the little pin that pops out of the cam to actuate the decompressor.

• SXP

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:43 AM

as I expect that will trash the little pin that pops out of the cam to actuate the decompressor.

The 450 decomp cam mechanism acts on the left exhaust valve, while the old system (400/426) acts on the right exhaust valve. You are not going to damage anything by leaving it in (as I have).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.