WR450 (03) vs YZ250 (05)

1 reply to this topic
  • CraigW

Posted January 25, 2005 - 03:16 AM

Lets throw a few of my thoughts on the YZ vs WR into an incoherant post.

YZ thoughts
Power - very snappy mid range and really revs out. This thing hauls serious arse, easily runs with a 450 4-stroke, Bottom end is also surprisingly good for slow technical riding. Bitch to wheelie though, I almost flipped it in the first 100m of riding it, you know, one of those balance point, feet in the air stories.
Suspension - great for big whoops and jumps but very harsh on rocks and choppy terrain.
Handling - awesome, rails corners and yet does not headshake in the rough, high speed stuff. So light and flickable, especially when one is used to the big 4-strokes.
Fuel consumption - surprisingly good, although I have not ridden it hard on the gas for extended periods. Mixing 2 stroke is a pain, already added petrol once with no oil (fortunately it was only 3L in a 8L tank)
Brakes - best I've had, can stand it on the front wheel entering corners, yet front wheel tracks true with no hint of washout.
Others - miss having a side stand and light, for those late afternoon rides where you come home in the dark. Love the smell of the 2stroke (Castrol A747).

WR
Power - so controllable, yet strong. So easy to wheelie. Very good on fuel for those long exploration rides (10L tank standard + I have 14L tank as option)
Suspension - reasonably plush, but not in the league of a CRF250X. Bottoms easy, so dont try and get clever on any big jumps or drop offs.
Handling - very stable, slides front and back quite controllably, but you have to muscle it. Its weight definitely affects the dynamics, blunting its responses.
Brakes - average, again a lot of weight to be overcome.

Other- owned the bike for a year and a half now, very reliable, all the bells and whistles like lights, side stand, odometer, electric start.

I love them both. Would be a very difficult decision which to sell. Of course, the YZ is an 05 vs WR being a 03. Therefore, the novelty factor is still high on the former.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted January 25, 2005 - 07:27 AM

ya i'm torn between the 06 yzf 450(if it gets the alminum frame) or a leftover 05 yz 250 (with the L.A. SLEEVE 330 kit,and heavy flywheel) for a new ride next winter??? i ride tight eastern woods,with an occasional HS. my wr has been lightened to the point that there is nothing left to lighten(except for a renton spring,and i'm working on that!) as it stands its 248 wet w/o gas. now thats not to bad but its very top heavy. my buddies wr250 weighs 2 lbs more in the same state and feels 15 lbs lighter. i entertained the thought of a 250f but way too much money to get anywhere near the power of my 450(over 3K) and reliability then becomes a issue(strokers tend to blow from what i'm hearing) one of the issues i would have with the yz 250 being a 2 stroke they tend to die sometimes at idle, and i will be running a rekluse clutch. i really don't want to be going down hills and have it die because with this clutch you cannot bump start. does anyone have a rekluse on a yz 250 that can share the experience?? :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.