Mods are done but...

5 replies to this topic
  • snmhanson

Posted January 24, 2005 - 11:47 PM

I spent a few hours and did all of my mods on my 05' WR450. I will fire it up tommorow to check it out but in the mean time I have a (hopefully) small problem. When I was screwing the hot start plunger back in to the carb the threads stripped out on it. I can push it in and it stays in place for the most part but if I pull on it it will come straight out without much effort. I am going to call my shop and have them get me whatever new parts I need to fix it ASAP, however, I don't know if they are going to be able to get them by Thursday which is when I am leaving for a weekend of riding. So, can I still ride my bike with the plunger the way it is or could it cause problems? Anyone have any good ideas for a quick fix if I can't get the parts in time? Also, when it stripped out I may have gotten a very small amount of the black plastic threads into the carb. I don't think that is anything to worry about but thought it may be a good idea to double check with you knowledgable folks here.

Another question, I didn't notice before but should the carb be able to spin in it's boots a little even after I tighten the clamps down? It does and I hope that's ok since I don't think I can get the screws any tighter.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

• jdd123

Posted January 25, 2005 - 08:55 AM

The carb should not easily rotate when tightened down. There are metal tabs that fit in the boot to keep it in position. You can see them at the bottom of the front boot. I would have to apply a lot of undue pressure to make mine rotate. It should be tight enought that it won't rotate when you ride and jump.

I can't help with the hot start temporary repair. Maybe you could put some silicone on the top to hold it in, but be very careful not to let the stuff fall in when you remove the hot start?

On the black threads in the carb, I tried to blow the stuff out before installing the new plastic nut. After, damaging my first hot start by using a wrench, I only use my finger or fingernail on the little vertical grip lines. I thought about putting wd40 on the threads for a little lube, but haven't needed to. Just be very careful when first finger starting the hot start into the hole. By using the finger tight technique, I took off the hot start many times and haven't ruined a thread yet. Keep the wrench away.

I have a spare plastic nut just in case. But, since I have a spare, Murphy's law moved on to messing up other issues on my bike and the spare sits in the toolbox.

If you try to run with the hot start completely removed, your bike will run very lean and hot. Unless, it was rich to start with.

• RichBaker

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:58 AM

Zip Ty makes a replacement nut for that....call them!
http://www.ziptyraci...&CategoryID=114

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • atomictom

Posted January 25, 2005 - 01:05 PM

I spent a few hours and did all of my mods on my 05' WR450. I will fire it up tommorow to check it out but in the mean time I have a (hopefully) small problem. When I was screwing the hot start plunger back in to the carb the threads stripped out on it. I can push it in and it stays in place for the most part but if I pull on it it will come straight out without much effort. I am going to call my shop and have them get me whatever new parts I need to fix it ASAP, however, I don't know if they are going to be able to get them by Thursday which is when I am leaving for a weekend of riding. So, can I still ride my bike with the plunger the way it is or could it cause problems? Anyone have any good ideas for a quick fix if I can't get the parts in time? Also, when it stripped out I may have gotten a very small amount of the black plastic threads into the carb. I don't think that is anything to worry about but thought it may be a good idea to double check with you knowledgable folks here.

Another question, I didn't notice before but should the carb be able to spin in it's boots a little even after I tighten the clamps down? It does and I hope that's ok since I don't think I can get the screws any tighter.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Hey you could probably use good old duct tape to keep it in place for your trip! p.s. put the end of your vacuum cleaner to suck out the plastic or take the whole carb off and tap it out!

• snmhanson

Posted January 25, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the help. I went to the shop and they had them in stock so I picked up a couple and put one on. I will still get the Zip-Ty nut for when the one on there now fails.

Once I got everything together I started my bike and did a few test laps around my property. I didn't notice a huge difference on the low end, it started better, maybe ran a bit smoother and had a little more low end power but it still popped on deceleration (is this because of the AIS?). Since I was never able to use the top 1/2 of the throttle and having only ridden 2-strokes in the past it is hard for me to tell if it is running as good as it should. It was nice to be able to rev the throttle more than 1/2 turn though and I was actually able to get the front tire off the ground :cry: . It certainly doesn't have the hit of a 2-stroke though, which I think I will like. My only real concern is making sure I am not too lean. How can I tell if I am too lean in any of the jets or the fuel mixture? The jets I ran are Main-168 Pilot-48 and Starter-68 and I opened my mixture screw 1/2 turn more. I also did the grey wire, pulled the snorkel in the air box and the baffle from the muffler and put in the YZ throttle screw. I am getting the JD kit and a Zip-Ty fuel screw and will put them in soon but I am going riding this weekend, possibly in the sand, and want to make sure I am set up right. So can anyone tell me what to look for to make sure I'm not too lean and if there is anything else to keep an eye on? Also, is the popping on deceleration and when I cut the engine because the AIS is still connected? Thanks again for all the help.

Matt

• DesertWR

Posted January 25, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Matt,

I have just gone thru all this myself. I ordered the AIS blockoff kit from Thumper member Lowedog. He sells this kit for $30.00 and after disconnecting the AIS, the popping on decel will stop. Right now my 05 is being rejetted to 165, 48, 72. Also valving the front forks just based on the fact that the left front is blown out already :cry: and putting a 5.6kg in the rear. I have the White Bros E2 pipe and this will be the last of my mods for the riding I do. I am putting a 72 starter jet to help start this beast when it is cold-Don't know if you've experienced that lately but mine is a bitttttch to start cold especially using the e-start(It'll kill the battery before she cranks). :cry: Hopefully this will cure all ills. You won't be disappointed with this bike, I have riden mine numerous times in the desert & mountainous trails and this thing kicks ass :cry: :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.