Tips For Race Ready XR650R

28 replies to this topic
  • slepe67

Posted February 15, 2007 - 06:11 PM

The 450x will of course be great for tighter type races, but there is no way it can compete with the brp on long open desert courses like Baja.

knowing then what we know now.....didnt a 450X just WIN the Baja 1000 overall? wierd.

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 15, 2007 - 07:30 PM

DRZ_Motorsports_119 contact Tunaeater on this site he races the code and zr races all the time, he can hook you up and introduce you to some other racers in that area too.Lots of Mexicalli guys ride those races.

• dezracerE

Posted February 19, 2007 - 08:31 PM

Im purchasing a XR650R later this month a basically ride off-road through tough, technical and rocky terrain in tijuana, baja, mexico and want to now what mods can i make to the bike for the Open Class to be fast and reliable.

Im gonna race in two desert series in late september CODE and ZR Promotions.

Im 5.8 ft , 145 Lbs. and 21 years old
Currently Own a XR600R

and some tips on racing................what to bring, what to do, you now, all that stuff.

DRZ Motorsports 119
Tijuana,BC, Mexico

Strange what this thread turned into.
Being on a budget- the xr650 will be the way to go.
Including the bike- slightly used 01 (less than 1kmiles $4000), Precision concepts susp ($1000), gpr stabilizer (ebay-used $200), power-up kit (already on bike), white bros slipon (ebay- $150), airbox mods ($75), footpeg kit-(very important for safety $120), heavy duty tubes ($40), pro taper bars and applied clamp (already on bike) IMS tank with dry break ($425), Baja designs stator- 200 watt ($150), Baja Designs halogen dual Soltek race lights and brackets ($450).
Not all mods are necessary- but they all help. The footpeg mod, heavy duty tubed and desert tires (maxxis or dunlup), tank and stabilizer are probably necessary.
Good luck. Prep the XR correctly and It is the best long distance bike. comfortable and forgiving- especially when you need to pound those hidden Baja rocks back into Mother Earth.

Just keep the oil in it and it will run and run. (carry a spare countershaft seal)

• DJWALS

Posted February 19, 2007 - 09:30 PM

hey man we had a team thrown together for the 06 Baja 1000 and set up a 2007 650R... the bike was incredible and we ended up with a 3rd in class finish ( class 22.).. Sure Honda won on 450's but that's another story..they get payed to ride.. and we payed to ride.... the 650 is great and we ran a stock motor with just a pipe and gearing... Suspension by Nicoll Racing,, and Baja Designs 8" HID... Don't let anyone tell you they are on their way out.. KTM's & Husky's taking over Mexico ? please!
Our race bike was only ridden once.. the 1000.. ran flawlesss and is barely broken in..
FYI>..Dry Brake IMS 3.2, Peg Mod, ProTapers, Acerbis Handguards, Pro-Circuit complete system, gearing, Black excel's, Suspension (Nicoll Racing) Baja PDesigns Stator, HD tubes, Pirelli MT18 FR, and Dunlop 739 R.. Everything was restored back to new immediately after the race..cleanest 07 race ready 650 on the market... Send me a private post... did i mention it's for sale very cheap.. ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slepe67

Posted February 20, 2007 - 02:09 PM

... did i mention it's for sale very cheap.. ?

I'll have to pretend I didn't read that...it mocks me.....

• DJWALS

Posted February 20, 2007 - 02:41 PM

sorry slepe67 didn't mean to torment... Alba Action Sports donated the bike to our team.. We invested over $3500 into the bike and rode just the one race and before returning it.. we replaced with new tires, black excel wheels, handguards, and pretty much anything even scuffed... the dealership is very proud of how we returned the bike and it's awaiting this year baja hopefuls... it's literally ready to race and has the stock parts to go along with it... honestly it's hard to tell it's been ridden other than just some boot scuffs on the cases....

• SlickitySloan

Posted February 20, 2007 - 11:21 PM

sorry slepe67 didn't mean to torment... Alba Action Sports donated the bike to our team.. We invested over $3500 into the bike and rode just the one race and before returning it.. we replaced with new tires, black excel wheels, handguards, and pretty much anything even scuffed... the dealership is very proud of how we returned the bike and it's awaiting this year baja hopefuls... it's literally ready to race and has the stock parts to go along with it... honestly it's hard to tell it's been ridden other than just some boot scuffs on the cases....

We broke in a Chris Haines rental at the Baja 1000 this year. What a bike. Chris did a great job on it. We did a little ripping on it on the way back to Chris's shop to drop it off after the race. It was running stronger than when we were doing our break in runs that's for sure.

For reliability they are untouchable.

BRP's will live on!

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted February 22, 2007 - 10:42 AM

Such-a-salesman DW!!! :applause:

... I've not seen it since it's been cleaned up with new stuff. Pretty cool. :applause:

• DJWALS

Posted February 22, 2007 - 11:11 PM

Si Senor J.J..
you wouldn't recognize it..if you are in the area stop in and see what i mean..

anyone need a John Deere... ? Now i sound like the guy from Husky...
he he....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.