The BRP has got to go..

21 replies to this topic
  • Chariotoffire

Posted January 24, 2005 - 07:35 PM

I've finally got the hang of starting the thing, it's the greatest bike I've had in
many ways, but I want a bike that starts with a button, not a groin injury.
Anyone got a recommendation for a smaller dualsport to change down to with electric start. I'd be trading in an 83 xr600L in great stock shape.
Or if anyone has a cheap way of putting on an electric start.

Thanks.

• don87xr600

Posted January 24, 2005 - 07:44 PM

joeracer has an electric start for the xr650r, so does bajadesigns. They are not cheap but way less than the price of a new bike.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 24, 2005 - 08:35 PM

I have the electric start from Baja Designs and it works great. It's cheaper than the Joe Racer starter and I have yet to hear a negative report about it. If your after a lighter bike the 525EXC is a great choice but it cost a lot more than an after market starter.

• qadsan

Posted January 24, 2005 - 09:05 PM

If the e-start on the 650r doesn't appeal to you and want a great bike with e-start, look at the Yamaha WR450F. It's a fantastic modern bike, very reliable and there's tons of support for it everywhere. There's some great deals out there right now on left over 2004 models if you're looking to save money. They also have to be uncorked like the XR650R, but it's a pretty simple process. If you're mostly doing singletrack and you're a fairly light weight guy, you may even want to check out a WR250F. Once they're uncorked they're very fun and quite nimble for singletrack work.

• smashinz2002

Posted January 24, 2005 - 09:12 PM

Yeah, I think he's right, because at first I was shopping for a WR400, back a few years ago, but found my XR650R barely used for much cheaper, so I bought it. No complaints other than the extra large size of the bike. It's easy to start if it's uncorked and jetted right, and if you know the drill.

• brrpr

Posted January 24, 2005 - 10:24 PM

dont let em kid ya.
Its the 21st century.
Super fast, light, well handling, ebutton four strokes rule the land.

The BRP is a dinasour from another age. Its time to face the music.

Buy a Husky 510 if you want to ride on the freeway between the dirt, a TE250 if you want to flick it in the woods. Both are the most dependable, furthest refined, lightest, mot durable, best handling, and best looking bikes in the game.
Dont waist your money on the new red bikes until they fix all the problems...

• Naru

Posted January 24, 2005 - 10:31 PM

Aside from what was mentioned already (the KTM 525EXC is a really nice bike with tons of power and excellent handling, sort of like a BRP 2.0... or maybe 10.0 :cry: ), the DRZ 400E or 400S are both great bikes, and pretty bulletproof to boot. Also, the 400S comes with the plate from the dealer, so no extra kit to purchase.

The 525 really is a nice bike though. I was trying hard here in Cali. to get two new ones streeted before the cutoff for DS'ing on Jan 1st, but no dealer would budge off $9k OTD (and that was with some haggling) in the months leading up. Then suddenly, on Jan. 2nd or 3rd, the prices dropped over a grand. A-mazing! :cry: Oh well, If I had gotten them, then I would have had to adopt a kid and teach him how to ride so he could go grab the truck when the pumpkin broke down... just kidding, kinda. :cry:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 24, 2005 - 11:08 PM

Don't let em kid ya. Yep the BRP is big and heavy but it will still be running on the same piston after your light weight modern bikes have been rebuilt 2 or 3 times. Why do you think Honda is willing to sell a 3.5 year extended warranty on it. They won't sell you that warranty on any of their other dirt bikes except maybe the crf230. My 04 525EXC had a 30 day warranty on it and no extended warranty even offered. The XR650 is the last of the solidly built XR line and they will be around for long time after they cease production. The last of the ride and park bikes.

But hey, I own a 525 and I love it but I know what to expect as far as upkeep goes.

• Ed_Buratti

Posted January 25, 2005 - 05:16 AM

If you're riding an 83 xr600l, why not step up to an xr650l? Same bike, if not a little better, electric start. You could probably find one cheap. And if anyone tells you they aren't that great, they're wrong.

• TXBRP

Posted January 25, 2005 - 07:46 AM

Am I supposed to be having a hard time starting my BRP? :cry: I keep reading what a pain it is, but I can usually get mine started in 1 to 2 kicks 95% of the time. Once you hit the right hard spot pull in the compression lever move the kickstarter down about another inch max. Bring the kickstarter back up to the top and kick all the way through. Like I said it works for me. Especially if the bike is already warm. One kick every time. Here's a good link.

http://www.dirtrodde.../starttips.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted January 25, 2005 - 09:23 AM

Am I supposed to be having a hard time starting my BRP? :cry: I keep reading what a pain it is, but I can usually get mine started in 1 to 2 kicks 95% of the time. Once you hit the right hard spot pull in the compression lever move the kickstarter down about another inch max. Bring the kickstarter back up to the top and kick all the way through. Like I said it works for me. Especially if the bike is already warm. One kick every time. Here's a good link.

http://www.dirtrodde.../starttips.html

You are right on. Some folks don't follow that procedure and have a very hard time of it. My riding buddy who has ridden the XR650R for years refuses to use that procedure but still manages to get it started in a couple of kicks most the time.

• thumpasaurus

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:12 AM

...The BRP is a dinasour from another age...

:cry: :cry:
you say that like it's a bad thing..

• TXBRP

Posted January 25, 2005 - 12:35 PM

:cry: :cry:
you say that like it's a bad thing..

:cry: Yep, just like a 1970 454 SS Chevelle is technically a dinasour, but man I sure want one.

• A1KROW33

Posted January 25, 2005 - 01:49 PM

I use the same procedure on my 600. Never had to kick it more than twice (except the one time I downed it). Still, starting is easy if the bike is mechanically sound and its done right.

• hill5150

Posted January 26, 2005 - 07:38 PM

dont let em kid ya.
Its the 21st century.
Super fast, light, well handling, ebutton four strokes rule the land.

The BRP is a dinasour from another age. Its time to face the music.

Buy a Husky 510 if you want to ride on the freeway between the dirt, a TE250 if you want to flick it in the woods. Both are the most dependable, furthest refined, lightest, mot durable, best handling, and best looking bikes in the game.
Dont waist your money on the new red bikes until they fix all the problems...

:cry:

:cry: Problems? haven't found any yet and I ride mine everyday. BRRP rides what? BRRP, why are you in the 650r forum if you feel so strongly against the 650R :cry: ?

• Eric Henion

Posted January 27, 2005 - 08:18 PM

If you are going to get rid of your BRP then stick with a brand that you can trust. How about the CR450X. It has both electric and back up kick. Its a new bike but it is a Honda. Just a thought.

• Winkel

Posted January 28, 2005 - 06:53 AM

I've never used the compression release to start mine, except when I've downed it on a hill. I've used it to 'un-flood' it, but it starts fairly easy. I'd look seriously at the jetting. I think my right thigh is still the same size as my left!!

Wink

• frogman

Posted January 28, 2005 - 03:47 PM

EDELBROCK CARB!

I can start my pig one kick, hot or cold!

WITH MY HAND IF I FEEL LIKE IT.

• Tber

Posted January 29, 2005 - 06:31 PM

I've never used the compression release to start mine, except when I've downed it on a hill. I've used it to 'un-flood' it, but it starts fairly easy. I'd look seriously at the jetting. I think my right thigh is still the same size as my left!!

Wink

same here, i always kick through the compression and it starts every time

• brrpr

Posted January 29, 2005 - 10:51 PM

my bikes:
XR 400 ------plated
XR650R. -----plated
Husky 510.---plated

The Husky blows the others away in terms of performance and value.

My 650R is the biggest money pit of any bike i have owned in 30 years.
VERY Unreliable-worst airbox ever on a dirt bike? Mine sucked silt and blew an engine. Many others have had the same thing happen.
It needs a carb, rims, suspension re-builds, bigger tank, new handlebars, new triple clamp, new lights, bigger front disc, new chain, sprockets, manifold, filters, tires, dual sport kit, stabilizer, etc. just to make it safe, ridable and still survive a summer....something like 15-20% of that bike is throw away components. By the time it is ridable--its hella-expensive. You know exactly what i am talking about...in the real world, its a very expensive bike. KTM, Husky or even TM are all cheaper.

The XR400's are in my opinion the best all around dirt bikes ever made. They only need a carb, cam, bars, suspension mods, opened up airbox and pipe.

Just my HO.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.