IMS 4.6 gallon tank fits great! XR650R

11 replies to this topic
  • Mokuleia

Posted January 24, 2005 - 06:01 PM

I just received, and installed the IMS 4.6 gallon tank. I thought I would give them a plug for the archives because most of my research on this and other boards indicated that the Clark was the better choice (mostly due to fit issues). Of all the aftermarket mods I've done to my bike, this was one of the easiest, and I couldn't be happier with the product. Perhaps they have updated their mold, this one does have the square inserts (the stock tank even has some round inserts which I've heard can spin). Did have to trim the excess plastic on the underside of the right shroud which took about 90 seconds with a utility knife. Won't have any effect should I reinstall the stock tank, don't see what the point of that plastic is anyway.

As far as function, my knees go around it and lock in even better than the stock tank. I'm not seeing any restriction in the standing position. These were two complaints I had heard. Perhaps having a 36" inseem is making the difference. Regardless, looks like a great product that I'm going to be very happy with.

One thing maybe someone here can help me out with though, I need some graphics for it that will make it look more OEM. Does IMS still sell these, it appears CEET may have gone out of business?

Thanks, Mark

• qadsan

Posted January 24, 2005 - 06:35 PM

IMS does sell oversized tank graphics.

• Docmarkw

Posted January 24, 2005 - 07:16 PM

I too have the IMS 4.6 and think the tank looks and feels perfect. I've read many post saying the clark tank fits better, but I had no problems with how the IMS fits and I get the extra fuel capicity. :cry:

• Mokuleia

Posted January 24, 2005 - 08:09 PM

Thanks Quadsan, I will call them, their website just shows the basic tanks, and footpegs.

Docmarkw, did you line the bottom with heat reflective tape? I probably will before summer. It does seem to be pretty close to the head in several places.

The extra .3 gallons was the deciding factor between the Clark, and the IMS. I've heard as much as 4.9 fitting in the Clark, and I've heard as little as 4.25. Depends on who's gas pump your at. Haven't heard any real world reports on the IMS.

While sloshing a little gas around in the tank to clean it (before installation), looks like I'll have to tip the bike pretty far to the right to get everything out of the left side. Hopefully it will never come to that.

Mark

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 24, 2005 - 08:30 PM

I have the IMS 4.6 also and had no fit problems. I have been running mine since the summer of 2000 with no heat tape and no problems. Mine holds exactly 4.6 gal.. Great product. :cry:

• Docmarkw

Posted January 24, 2005 - 10:28 PM

No I haven't added heat reflective tape. No need, I probably have logged at least 5000 miles with this tank and never had any issues. I look at the .3 gallon difference as about 15 miles I don't need to push it if I run it dry.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clodhopper

Posted January 25, 2005 - 04:20 PM

Ditto to 'Old Man Time"! Switched back to the smaller one a couple of times then decided that there was no reason to. I get about 100 miles of desert riding before going on reserve. Never used heat tape, didn't need to.

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 25, 2005 - 06:48 PM

I started with the 3.4 and later switched to the 4.6. The 4.6 is the way to go, feels better, more fuel and a great product.

• Desertskyy

Posted January 26, 2005 - 08:49 PM

I have had great success with my 4.6 gal IMS tank. I really like the fit. I put the stock tank in the attic. I really do not see a need to put the stocker back on in the future. I can go about 150 miles or a little more with the IMS tank.

• brrpr

Posted January 26, 2005 - 09:03 PM

i got one for sale. $100 clams.

• Mudshark

Posted February 05, 2006 - 01:03 PM

i got one for sale. $100 clams.

What size, make and color?.... since the conversation has included Clarke's
as well, I just want to be sure. :thumbsup:
I need one :thumbsup:

• wickedsprint

Posted February 06, 2006 - 04:20 PM

I too have the IMS 4.6 and think the tank looks and feels perfect. I've read many post saying the clark tank fits better, but I had no problems with how the IMS fits and I get the extra fuel capicity. :thumbsup:

Most people have said they can fit about 4.9 gallons into the clarke "4.3"

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.