Get'n Freak'n Frustrated Over Best Bike Question!

13 replies to this topic
  • Jetsprint2

Posted January 24, 2005 - 01:31 PM

I just want to know what my fellow Yamaha thumper four stroke riders riders think about the best bike scenario? Up here in Idaho it is pretty much Honda CRF 450 land and soon to be RMZ 450 land as well. I know that the CRF 450 is a damn good bike, but according to the guys up here I am at a disadvantage before I get my bike off the stand. Even when I race hard with them and beat them- they say well, " You could be that much faster on a CRF man". I have rode the CRF for myself and liked it in some areas but liked my 04 YZ 450 better in some other areas. Now I read the RMZ 450 threads and they all say that it is better than the 05 CRF 450 and that the YZF is old technology! I just want to know what you guys think about this. I am not looking for a bike bashing thread just if you guys think we really are at a disadvatage.

• Chills

Posted January 24, 2005 - 01:46 PM

Dude,

You have to come to an understanding. Everyone has their preference, everyone has their likes. No matter how much you tell a die hard CRF450 person that the YZF450 is better, they will always find reasons, doubt, and a way to voice their own opinion. The same goes with a YZF450 person trying to tell a CRF450 person that the YZF450 is better. Different riders like different things, and attatch themselves to it. Its not the bike that makes the rider, its the rider that makes the bike. Stick with what you have, and perfect it. If you are that worried about what everyone else "Thinks" you should be riding, or what you "Could" be better on, you might have bigger problems.

Dont worry about what everyone else thinks, the only opinion that matters is you own! Noone else can make you happy but yourself!!

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2005 - 01:53 PM

I am not looking for a bike bashing thread just if you guys think we really are at a disadvatage.

No. :cry:
They're just rationalizing, like everyone does. The admonition that you would have beat them even worse on their own bike is pretty comical. Old tech? How many valves does the RMZ450 have? Does it have an all creamic engine or what? The Honda has Rocker Arms in it for crying out loud. Talk about old tech!
OY!

People will always do the sort of thing you're talking about. You ride what makes you happy and fast, and let them see if they can keep up. :cry:

• Chills

Posted January 24, 2005 - 01:56 PM

No. :cry:

People will always do the sort of thing you're talking about. You ride what makes you happy and fast, and let them see if they can keep up. :cry:

:cry: AMEN!! :cry:

• dunecj2a

Posted January 24, 2005 - 02:03 PM

I am new to 4 strokes but I decided on an 04 450 in June. I got all of the same feedback. The YZ is too fast and hard to ride :devil: The CRF is way mellower and goes where you want it :devil: Most of the 450's at my track are Honda, but come race night the blue bikes are always up front in the local pro class :cry:
I don't get the whole too much power thing :cry: Why is that every YZ I see has a pipe or some other kinda motor hop up? I thought they were too powerful :cry:
The 05 was mellowed to perform like the CRF and most of the mags have not given it a good review. Motocross Action loved the YZ and this issue they only gave the (05) 3 outta 5 stars :cry: :cry:
I rode an 03 CRF at Glamis and there is no way I would even consider a Honda after having my YZ for the type of riding I do. If the Hoda handles better :D than I have to learn to ride my YZ that much better. Love the power. :D

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 24, 2005 - 02:07 PM

I am new to 4 strokes but I decided on an 04 450 in June. I got all of the same feedback. The YZ is too fast and hard to ride :D The CRF is way mellower and goes where you want it :devil: Most of the 450's at my track are Honda, but come race night the blue bikes are always up front in the local pro class :cry:
I don't get the whole too much power thing :devil: Why is that every YZ I see has a pipe or some other kinda motor hop up? I thought they were too powerful :cry:
The 05 was mellowed to perform like the CRF and most of the mags have not given it a good review. Motocross Action loved the YZ and this issue they only gave the (05) 3 outta 5 stars :cry: :cry:
I rode an 03 CRF at Glamis and there is no way I would even consider a Honda after having my YZ for the type of riding I do. If the Hoda handles better :D than I have to learn to ride my YZ that much better. Love the power. :mad:

I feel the same way, It is good to hear that someone else has similar experiences at their local track. :cry:

• Ga426owner

Posted January 24, 2005 - 02:17 PM

I say the best bike is in the eye of who maintains it!!!!!!!!

Yamaha has the most reliable of all of em!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slappie

Posted January 24, 2005 - 02:30 PM

I sure love my YZ. I have been a die hard Yamaha man all my life.

I even looked at an 04 CRF when I was buying my YZ and almost pulled the trigger on it.

I am glad I didn't. I love the reliability, arm snapping power and feel of my YZ.
If I got a Honda, I'd spend a ton of money trying to make it rip my arms out anyway. Even though I don't race or anything, I always want more power. I am just a gearhead redneck at heart, I guess. I would have been super sensitive about the valve issues on the Hondas and probably would have sold it by now at a loss due to the worrying about the valve train issues.

It is all in the eye of the beholder. Tell your friends that you must be just that much better if you can beat them on such an inferior machine. You just bought the 'old technology' Yamaha to give them a much needed head start.

• dunecj2a

Posted January 24, 2005 - 03:25 PM

You can't look at the works bikes that the superstars ride. All they are is Honda,Yamaha or whatever brand plastic. Look at the real Privateers and most of them are on YZ450's. Heath Voss(couple of seasons ago),Blair bros..etc. Oh yeah and most important of all what are you comfortable with :cry: I think the 04 is a great bike and will be competative for a long time :cry: When they come out with the new frame hopefuly the 04 motor will go back in :cry:

• Idaho_Wolverine

Posted January 24, 2005 - 06:04 PM

I know three guys here in Mtn. Home that love there yz450f bikes.
My 2003 is the one with "too light" fly wheel and "too snappy" motor.
Oh ya, it also has a full Yoshi pipe, jet kit and Devol suspension. If there is a Honda CRF450R that handles better or has more power, it must belong to Kevin Windham! :cry:
:cry:

What do YOU like. If you like Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM, Husky....... What ever. Do YOU like it? Thats what counts

• big t

Posted January 24, 2005 - 08:44 PM

The bikes are all good. Ride what you want. Most of us won't be that much faster on any particular bike. I have ridden the 05 crf450 and it is sweet but I still bought the 04 yz and have not regretted it. I can't ride either bike anywhere close to its potential.

• mikedabike

Posted January 24, 2005 - 09:00 PM

Most of the fast guys I know ride whoevers bike has the best contingency. I know alot of guys switching to Suzuki not because the bike is any better but it is a better deal for them as far as payouts. Most fast guys I know can make any bike work equally for them.

• assgasorgrass

Posted January 25, 2005 - 10:19 AM

Personally, I think the rider has so much more to do with the riding than the bike - and that has a lot to do with mental confidence. So whatever bike an individual feels comfortable on is the best bike. If you're ripping it up on your YZ, who are they to say you'd be that much faster on a CRF.

• GoodWood

Posted January 25, 2005 - 01:32 PM

I'm faster than some guys with newer, better bikes and slower than others with older, cheaper, smaller, uglier, bikes. So consider what brand bike shop is closest to you or what color you like best or which one you can get a deal on and ride to the best of your ability.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.