'05 Yz450 Fork Guard Hitting Dust Seal...

25 replies to this topic
  • rmracer27

Posted January 30, 2005 - 07:05 PM

Yeah it kept its new form. Just got it hot enough to get really soft and used a clean pair of leather gloves and just rolled it out. Don't get it to hot or it will discolor it. You will know when u get it hot enough cause if it don't move easy keep putting the heat to it. If you want PM your email address and I will email you a close up pic of it.

Later
Andy

• DPW

Posted January 30, 2005 - 07:13 PM

Yeah it kept its new form. Just got it hot enough to get really soft and used a clean pair of leather gloves and just rolled it out. Don't get it to hot or it will discolor it. You will know when u get it hot enough cause if it don't move easy keep putting the heat to it. If you want PM your email address and I will email you a close up pic of it.

Later
Andy

Andy,

Send me a pic please too, dezdog@mailsnare.net

• Butta

Posted January 30, 2005 - 07:31 PM

Well, I decided to just try to keep the guard from hitting the fork by putting two zip ties on the fork leg. I figure the guard can hit the ties instead of the fork...I just wasn't sure how long the ties would stay on, but I rode today (pretty hard, too...kinda sore already!) and the ties stayed on the whole time. I'll wait and see how long this fix lasts. If it means just putting new ties on the leg once a month or so, then that makes it a pretty easy and cheap fix...

We'll see!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmracer27

Posted January 30, 2005 - 07:32 PM

DPW sent you a couple of pics to your email. Let me know if you don't get them.

Later
Andy

• jay_ch28

Posted February 07, 2005 - 05:02 AM

Andy, could you send those pics to me also...I'm having the same issue. I tried butting clamp prior to finding this thread and it didn't work. However your fix seems to have worked.

jay_ch28@hotmail.com

• mnm567

Posted February 22, 2005 - 10:19 AM

Just like previous posts have discussed, using the heat gun is the best way to resolve this problem. Take the fork guard off of the bike it is easier to manipulate the plastic. Just like it was mentioned before, use a clean pair of leather gloves to protect your hands from the heat. Wait until the plastic cools before you release your hands from the guard otherwise the plastic will take it's original form. I just did this "mod" yesterday. Happy riding!
Matt

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.