14 replies to this topic
  • mousemeat

Posted January 24, 2005 - 11:22 AM

Hey people, It seems like every day we get a new guy with an '05 asking questions about what can be done to his bike to get it to run right. I suggest we make a general list, make it very easy to understand and comprehensive and ask one of the admins to make it sticky.

THE RULES: If you want to add/edit the list, copy and paste the most recent list from the most recent post into your post, including the beginning of list and end of list lines. If you just want to say that it is a great idea or a stupid idea then say so outside of the list. I think just sending people to the wr250 site worries people, it did me.

Here goes:

%%%%%%%% Beginning of List %%%%%%%%

1: Throttle Stop: When your US spec bike arrives, there is a screw that prevents the throttle from opening fully. You either need to cut it down so that there is (insert number of mm here)mm of thread, or order yourself a YZ450F throttle stop, part no (insert part no. here). Canadian, OZ and European spec bikes come with YZ throttle stops and do not have this problem. Do not simply remove the throttle stop, as this will cause your throttle to function improperly and can damage your engine.

2: Exhaust baffle: This is not required if you are going to add an aftermarket silencer. The stock exhaust baffle greatly restricts the bike, reducing power. Removing this baffle will increase the power, but will drastically increase the noise levels. If you are using the bike on closed MX courses or private land in a remote location, this should be fine, it's not going to be louder than any of the 4 stroke MX bikes out there. If you are using the bike on public land or are concerned about noise you can either pick up a quiet exhaust insert for your stock silencer from www.promotobillet.com, www.quietiscool.com or get a GYT-R one from Yamaha.

3: Grey wire: With the exhaust opened up and full throttle range, the ignition needs to be changed to YZ specs. Like the throttle stop, this only applies to US spec bikes. To change to YZ specs, you need to (insert description of grey wire cutting here)

4: Removal of AIS: The '05 WR450 (but not 250) is califronia green sticker legal. In order to achieve this, yamaha had to install a smog pump, also known as a bunch of goofy pipes that get in the way. This can cause lean jetting and backfire. There are two ways to remove this. 1) order the kit from lowedog (insert contacts for lowedog) or 2) description of other method.

5: Chain slider: When grit gets in the space between your swingarm and the chain slider, it rubs into the swingarm and can eventually wear a hole in it. This is easily fixed using some silicone sealant as described by the late, great motoman393 here: http://motoman393.th...h/swingarm.html

6: ???

Note: Oil choice and break in method are controversial subjects with many threads and no conclusions and will not be discussed here.

%%%%%%%%%% End of List %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 24, 2005 - 11:25 AM

Good list Mousemeat! :cry:

• mousemeat

Posted January 24, 2005 - 11:32 AM

I am stupid and forgot about jetting. So here is an example of an edit. Have at it people. Some things such as the grey wire and AIS i have never had to deal with, so people need to add to this:

1: Throttle Stop: When your US spec bike arrives, there is a screw that prevents the throttle from opening fully. You either need to cut it down so that there is (insert number of mm here)mm of thread, or order yourself a YZ450F throttle stop, part no (insert part no. here). Canadian, OZ and European spec bikes come with YZ throttle stops and do not have this problem. Do not simply remove the throttle stop, as this will cause your throttle to function improperly and can damage your engine.

2: Exhaust baffle: This is not required if you are going to add an aftermarket silencer. The stock exhaust baffle greatly restricts the bike, reducing power. Removing this baffle will increase the power, but will drastically increase the noise levels. If you are using the bike on closed MX courses or private land in a remote location, this should be fine, it's not going to be louder than any of the 4 stroke MX bikes out there. If you are using the bike on public land or are concerned about noise you can either pick up a quiet exhaust insert for your stock silencer from www.promotobillet.com, www.quietiscool.com or get a GYT-R one from Yamaha.

3: Grey wire: With the exhaust opened up and full throttle range, the ignition needs to be changed to YZ specs. Like the throttle stop, this only applies to US spec bikes. To change to YZ specs, you need to (insert description of grey wire cutting here)

4: Removal of AIS: The '05 WR450 (but not 250) is califronia green sticker legal. In order to achieve this, yamaha had to install a smog pump, also known as a bunch of goofy pipes that get in the way. This can cause lean jetting and backfire. There are two ways to remove this. 1) order the kit from lowedog (insert contacts for lowedog) or 2) description of other method.

5: Chain slider: When grit gets in the space between your swingarm and the chain slider, it rubs into the swingarm and can eventually wear a hole in it. This is easily fixed using some silicone sealant as described by the late, great motoman393 here: http://motoman393.th...h/swingarm.html

6: Jetting: In stock form the bike is fairly lean. Once you free it up, it is REALLY lean. If your bike comes with spare jets, see if any are suitable for your weather and altitude. If not, either order appropriate jets or get the JD jet kit (available from thumpertalk). A little rich is better than a little lean.

7: ???

Note 1: Oil choice and break in method are controversial subjects with many threads and no conclusions and will not be discussed here.

Note 2: Your electric start may not seem powerful enough. Once your engine breaks in and you have done some miles it will work much better. It is may not ever work well on a cold engine in cold weather, but that is the price you pay for a relatively light e-starter.

• mousemeat

Posted January 25, 2005 - 03:15 AM

bump.

• gregwr450f

Posted January 25, 2005 - 03:31 AM

Top Work Mousemeat You Can Take The Rest Of The The Day To Go Riding Or Maybe A Beer At The Pub :cry: :cry:

• mousemeat

Posted January 25, 2005 - 06:13 AM

Fill in any blanks that you can...

• thumper_dad

Posted January 25, 2005 - 06:38 AM

I think that alot of these new guys who come in here and ask the same repeated questions over and over again should be directed to the search bar instead of having you spend your valuable time typing out a long winded list.

Don't get me wrong Mousemeat, I think it is very noble of you to do this but I think that alot of these new guys ask the same questions over and over do so because it gives them something to talk about that they see clearly peeks the interest of other members, this helps to kinda get there foot in the door here at TT.

Another good idea would be ask a Moderator to make a new thread where new people with like machines can come and introducing themselves and not feel the need to break thew ice by asking a question they know will get a answer even if the same question is mentioned just a thread or two away.

I found out every free mod available for my bike within the first couple trips to TT and it was enough reading to make my eyes fall out of my head.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Great job Mousemeat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GasAHolic

Posted January 25, 2005 - 08:20 AM

Great summary Mousemeat. :cry: I went and picked up this month's DirtBike and read the WR article, only 1/2 the info you covered if even that. Appreciate your taking the time to help us WR newbies!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

• mousemeat

Posted January 25, 2005 - 09:03 AM

Here is a version i deem to be acceptable. Please make any comments/clarifications and point out any errors. I'll see if i can contact a mod in a few days to make a sticky.

1: Throttle Stop: When your US spec bike arrives, there is a screw that prevents the throttle from opening fully. You either need to cut it down so that there is 18.23mm of thread (not including the head), or order yourself a YZ450F throttle stop, part no 5JG-14591-00. Canadian, OZ and European spec bikes come with YZ throttle stops and do not have this problem. Do not simply remove the throttle stop, as this will cause your throttle to function improperly and can damage your engine.

2: Exhaust baffle: This is not required if you are going to add an aftermarket silencer. The stock exhaust baffle greatly restricts the bike, reducing power. Removing this baffle will increase the power, but will drastically increase the noise levels. If you are using the bike on closed MX courses or private land in a remote location, this should be fine, it's not going to be louder than any of the 4 stroke MX bikes out there. Removing the exhaust baffle requires removing the end cap from the silencer, taking the baffle out, and putting the end cap back on. On 2004 and earlier bikes if you are using the bike on public land or are concerned about noise you can either pick up a quiet exhaust insert for your stock silencer from www.promotobillet.com, www.quietiscool.com or get a GYT-R one from Yamaha. These aftermarket baffles will not work on the 2005's, but ProMotoBillet will have an insert for the '05's available next month.

3: Grey wire: With the exhaust opened up and full throttle range achieved, the ignition needs to be changed to YZ specs. Like the throttle stop, this only applies to US spec bikes. To change to YZ specs, you need to follow the instructions here: http://www.thumperfa...m/gray_wire.htm

4: Removal of AIS: The '05 WR450F (but not the 250) is califronia green sticker legal. In order to achieve this, yamaha had to install a smog pump, also known as a bunch of goofy pipes that get in the way. This can cause lean jetting and backfire. There are two ways to remove this. 1) order the kit from TT member 'Lowedog' or plug up the holes with rubber plugs. This is discussed in this thread: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=206843

6: Jetting: In stock form the bike is fairly lean. Once you free it up, it is REALLY lean. If your bike comes with spare jets, see if any are suitable for your weather and altitude. If not, either order appropriate jets or get the JD jet kit (available from thumpertalk). A little rich is better than a little lean.

7: Remove air box snorkel: US versions have an airbox snorkle behind the battery. Take it out.

8: Fuel screw: This is more optional than the other mods, but some people consider it to be necessary. Zip-ty makes the most popular fuel screw and it is described here: http://www.ziptyraci...&CategoryID=110 Scotts performance, koubalink and MSR also make equivalent products.

Additional Notes:

Note 1: Oil choice and break in method are controversial subjects with many threads and no conclusions and will not be discussed here.

Note 2: Your electric start may not seem powerful enough. Once your engine breaks in and you have done some miles it will work much better. It may not ever work well on a cold engine in cold weather, but that is the price you pay for a relatively light e-starter.

• mousemeat

Posted January 25, 2005 - 09:10 AM

I think that alot of these new guys who come in here and ask the same repeated questions over and over again should be directed to the search bar instead of having you spend your valuable time typing out a long winded list.

Don't get me wrong Mousemeat, I think it is very noble of you to do this but I think that alot of these new guys ask the same questions over and over do so because it gives them something to talk about that they see clearly peeks the interest of other members, this helps to kinda get there foot in the door here at TT.

Another good idea would be ask a Moderator to make a new thread where new people with like machines can come and introducing themselves and not feel the need to break thew ice by asking a question they know will get a answer even if the same question is mentioned just a thread or two away.

I found out every free mod available for my bike within the first couple trips to TT and it was enough reading to make my eyes fall out of my head.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Great job Mousemeat.

I like your idea of a 'Howdy' sticky. I will suggest that as well.

I think that this list is superior to telling newbies to go search through 100's of threads. Most newbies are too high on the drug known as 'new motorcycle ownership' to actually look for information. I'm surprised that more posts dont simply consist of:
OHMYGODIJUSTGOTANEWBIKEANDITLOOKSREALLYCOOLBUTSOMETHINGISNTRIGHTCANYOUTELLMEALLTHEFREEMODSICANDOTHANKSBYE!!!!111

• Kirk5189

Posted January 25, 2005 - 10:13 AM

Mousemeat,
This is a great Idea I did the searches and it was a pain. Do you want to add the air box mods, remove snorkle and drill additional holes?

• mousemeat

Posted January 25, 2005 - 10:29 AM

I don't think the additional holes are 'necessary'.

The snorkle removal is probably considered necessary, and is included in the most recent version, however i have no experience with it. Please, anybody, make any necessary changes to point number seven.

Another necessary thing to add is re-routing the breather tube. I have done this on my '04, but not sure how the '05 differs. Anyone?

Cheers.

• GasAHolic

Posted January 25, 2005 - 01:53 PM

BUMP..... I'd recommend renaming to "2005 WR450 MODS LIST" and reposting... Sticky doesn't work, IMO.

• mousemeat

Posted January 26, 2005 - 02:05 AM

Agreed. End of Thread.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 26, 2005 - 02:01 PM

:cry: Great job!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.