WR on the road

44 replies to this topic
  • Adrock

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:47 AM

Just thought that I would add that I have a '05 WR450 supermoto that has about 700 miles on it, and none of these miles are on the dirt. I ride it all over town and on the free way. once I changed my gearing street riding was no problem. My gearing is now 15/45.

• jetdave

Posted March 15, 2005 - 08:14 AM

YeeHar have you done the grey wire mod. If you have not that will probbaly fix your stuttering at mid RPMS. :)

• doctorchopper

Posted March 15, 2005 - 02:22 PM

i've got an 01 wr426 with supermoto tires on it. I commute to work with it everyday, total distance of 60miles a day. There is a noticeable vibration at certain speeds, but it isn't too bad. I run 16 46 tooth sprokets as my whole commute is on the motorway, cruises nice and easy at 70mph. I've never had the bike overheat on me, even when I'm stuck in traffic while in town, I love the supermoto tires on the bike, sticks like glue around the coners

• dirtr1der

Posted March 15, 2005 - 06:19 PM

MY 02 426 is very uncomfortable on the road after only a few miles. Its meant for the dirt, plain and simple. I suppose the supermoto tires would help a bit, and the harder MT 18's I just put on it made it a bit worse.

I wish I could commute to work with my bike, but my commute is about 100 miles round trip right through the heart of Detroit. I estimate it would take only a few days before I'd get crushed and end up as a grease spot on I-94.

• trickwarrior

Posted March 15, 2005 - 10:44 PM

Rode my 99 on the road today for the first longist ride 25 miles. I can to the realization that it is jus never going to be a great rode bike. I only got tags to be able to ride to the trail(15 miles). She is a beast but worth it for the short time it takes to get to ther rippin' zone. Enjoy everone and remember to keep the rubber side in the air!! :)

• R_Little

Posted March 16, 2005 - 11:53 AM

I've had my wr400 registered and inspected for 4 years and have never liked riding it on the road.

My DR650 is way better. I mean how many wheelies can you do before getting caught by the cops.

That gets old quick

• WR450F_Sweden

Posted March 16, 2005 - 04:34 PM

When I first got my wr450-03 it had michelin m12 front and some kind of bridgestone rear...it was totally lifethreatening to ride on asphalt.You never knew where the bike was heading. So i bought pirelli mt-32 front and rear and got them balanced...that made a whole difference. So my advise is to get the tires balanced, especially if you have the rim beads installed.
...ohh and don't forget to put a little higher pressure in the tyres. I run 1.5 on asphalt.
All this put together makes up for an "almost" comfortable ride....
Since I don't go any faster than 90km/h (legal highwayspeed) I think the stock gearing works fine.

• deadcarnahans

Posted March 18, 2005 - 04:39 PM

Anyone whom believes that rear wheel vibration can migrate up through the drive chain and damage the transmission is nuts!

• wildo

Posted March 18, 2005 - 05:03 PM

I've had my wr400 registered and inspected for 4 years and have never liked riding it on the road.

My DR650 is way better. I mean how many wheelies can you do before getting caught by the cops.

That gets old quick

Tell me something man. how many hoops of fire did you have to jump throu to get that thing registered. Realy I wan't to get mine leagal but I have heard it hard to do. the only paper work I have for it is the original titel.

• WFO_ON_ONE_WHEEL

Posted March 23, 2005 - 08:14 PM

I am new to the site and am looking for some info on making my WR street legal? Any info would be great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • badger1

Posted October 12, 2005 - 11:18 PM

I ride my 03 wr450 on the road every weekend,I run 15/49 and have off road tyres mainly because I am to amped to ride the beast than muck around fitting DOT tyres,my longest trip was 378km and I was just tooling around by myself riding from one place to another,I get about 200km per tankful depending on how hard I ride,the higher gearing seems OK offroad and widens the power spread well,I ran a Bills pipe one weekend and that made it a beast over the Rimutaka hill road, although it was way to loud and begged for a passing cop to check me out,next time you have your knobbly tyred bike on the pavement,pull in the clutch and roll to a stop,you will notice 2 things,firstly the noise from the tyres,secondly the drag/vibration they create I am sure balanced DOT tyre that are not to aggressive will help this situation.
By the way,how accurate do you think the stock WR speedo is,my bike goes off the clock at 180km and I just cannot believe that is the actual speed regardless of the radiator shrouds blowing back over my legs like plastic chaps and the front mud guard whipping from side to side,just seems to fast?

• minion

Posted October 13, 2005 - 06:10 AM

By the way,how accurate do you think the stock WR speedo is,my bike goes off the clock at 180km and I just cannot believe that is the actual speed regardless of the radiator shrouds blowing back over my legs like plastic chaps and the front mud guard whipping from side to side,just seems to fast?

In the US, our bikes don't have anything on them to make them street legal from the factory. The only instrument gage we have is an odometer.

I run the stock gearing on my 05 WR450, and with a trailtech computer, I've gone as fast at 78 MPH on the bike, before I couldn't control it anymore. There was lots of throttle left, but the knobby tires and the wind was moving the bike all over the road.

78MPH is 125KPH. 180 KPH would be 112 MPH. Thats freaking fast on a dirt bike, but I could see it doing that. After all, they hit speeds like then when they supermoto the bikes. Just I don't think you'd get me to go that fast on it with knobbies! :banghead:

• gary haskell

Posted October 13, 2005 - 08:56 AM

I have put the primary gears (this includes the clutch basket) from the yamaha 4 wheeler that uses the 450 motor, in my "05"wr, this clutch has torsional springs to control the power stroke shock, this makes the bike smoother through the drivetrain.
A 15/46 gearing and a pro gel seat cover and the bike well cruise at 65 mph easily and get 50mpg the oil temp is 175/185 degrees F(this is perfect) on a 90 degree summer day, the farthest I have riden in one day is 300miles, this trip was dirt roads, some single track and paved roads. The bike works great and is not tiring to ride. I have 6500 miles on this bike.

• RichBaker

Posted October 13, 2005 - 03:10 PM

The only thing I don't like about my WR450 is the way it feels on pavement - it buzzes like a hornet at any speed over 40 mph. It feels like it could use two more gears so you chug along at a reasonable rpm when doing freeway speeds. The bike is a thoroughbred and really is best suited for aggressive off-road riding. Something like an XR would be a better choice for the occasional putt to work.

Most of the vibes went away after I balanced the front wheel....I can actually see out of my Acerbis rear view most of the time now!

• RichBaker

Posted October 13, 2005 - 03:12 PM

to dual sport your bike you have to have dot approved tires.. if you tried to run a dirt tire in the road you would have almost no braking, you would just slide..

BS...I ride with non-DOT knobbies and have no problem. You just need to know what you're doing... :banghead:

• RichBaker

Posted October 13, 2005 - 03:15 PM

The tires are what makes the bike shake like crazy at those high speeds. I wouldn't recommend any high driving with it but if you have some street tires that changes everything.

??? how can you drive these things on the street and keep the front tire down? I just can't do it.

3 ounces of lead directly opposite the rim lock help a heck of a lot..... and no, it is not possible to keep the front wheel on the ground! :banghead:

• jivenene

Posted February 01, 2007 - 03:09 PM

Old thread, but what the hell.

I have a 99 WR400, and currently run stock rims/hubs with Avon Distanzia DOT tires. I first installed them with the rim locks, not realizing what i was doing (they are street tires and have a rim bead. also the tire pressure will be 25-30 psi, so no rim lock necessary). The bike shook violently on the road. I then removed the rim locks and, viola, it's smooth like butter. I just got a rear tire flat though (probably through an offroad section on the way to work), so maybe i had too much air? I have not disected the tire to see what exactly happened yet. I don't think i had HD tubes in it, but don't remmeber.

The problems i have now are excessive chain slap, and getting it registered. I watch the chain while on the asphalt, the top flails around (hitting the swingarm) when i accelerate, then slacks when i let off the throttle. I read that this might be due to the chain being too loose, i'll verify that. I was also wondering if there is an aftermarket rear hub with damping built in that will absorb the single's power stoke a little. It's awefully violent, but fun.

peace.

• hartzpad

Posted February 01, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Old thread, but what the hell.

I have a 99 WR400, and currently run stock rims/hubs with Avon Distanzia DOT tires. I first installed them with the rim locks, not realizing what i was doing (they are street tires and have a rim bead. also the tire pressure will be 25-30 psi, so no rim lock necessary). The bike shook violently on the road. I then removed the rim locks and, viola, it's smooth like butter. I just got a rear tire flat though (probably through an offroad section on the way to work), so maybe i had too much air? I have not disected the tire to see what exactly happened yet. I don't think i had HD tubes in it, but don't remmeber.

The problems i have now are excessive chain slap, and getting it registered. I watch the chain while on the asphalt, the top flails around (hitting the swingarm) when i accelerate, then slacks when i let off the throttle. I read that this might be due to the chain being too loose, i'll verify that. I was also wondering if there is an aftermarket rear hub with damping built in that will absorb the single's power stoke a little. It's awefully violent, but fun.

peace.

On my Plated WR426, I run Pirelli MT18's (DOT knobbies) w/ rim locks at 15 psi and have had no problems. You may need to replace your chain (road use is hard on them) but make sure that it is properly adjusted per the manual and you should be fine. I bought my bike with 12,000 miles on it and I have put at least another few thousand on it. I am hard on mine on the street, power on wheelies every ride. Tranny shows no signs of stress, but I keep the synthetic oil clean and changed.

The only thing I wish for is a 6th gear for the faster sections so I can keep my 13/47 gearing for when I get to the tight singletrack.

• drzjay400e

Posted February 01, 2007 - 07:44 PM

BS...I ride with non-DOT knobbies and have no problem. You just need to know what you're doing... :ride:

I agree with richbaker. I use 100% bonafide dirt tires and I grip like glue. :ride: Which is also poss. why my tranny is in the shop getting new 3rd and 5th gears in.:ride:

• jivenene

Posted February 02, 2007 - 03:07 PM

On my Plated WR426, I run Pirelli MT18's (DOT knobbies) w/ rim locks at 15 psi and have had no problems. You may need to replace your chain (road use is hard on them) but make sure that it is properly adjusted per the manual and you should be fine. I bought my bike with 12,000 miles on it and I have put at least another few thousand on it. I am hard on mine on the street, power on wheelies every ride. Tranny shows no signs of stress, but I keep the synthetic oil clean and changed.

The only thing I wish for is a 6th gear for the faster sections so I can keep my 13/47 gearing for when I get to the tight singletrack.

Yeah, definitely a fun bike to ride on the street. gotta love how light and maneuverable it is. I love passing all the car stuck in rush hour traffic. Now i just need to get it legal!!!

Hm... for me the difference between with and without rim locks was huge. Aside from the steady missing @ 5th gear cruising @55mph, it feels like a road bike. When i had the rim locks in, i could see the hub and the front wheel bouncing back and forth due to the unbalanced wheel. It kinda looked like your forks on your mountain bike while doing a downhill section.

anyways, i do have to check the chain tension, it has been a while. I also think the chain slap is an inherent part of the 4-stroke single, as with each power stroke, the drive sprocket lurches as the force is delivered. I will definitely note the difference upon adjusting the chain tension though. Hopefully i am wrong and the chain slap goes away entirely. sometimes i like being wrong.

thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.