WR on the road

44 replies to this topic
  • CHRIS_SARICH

Posted January 24, 2005 - 02:19 AM

I'm thinking about regeristing my 03WR450 and riding it to work a few times a week which is about 20 kms of highway. I have been told that WRs get to hot riding on the road and also the rear hub needs to be change to a different type as it transfers vibrations to the gearbox. I cant see a difference between riding down a highway and riding on gravel roads or in wide open country. I know of a few wrs which regularly see a Fair bit of highway use with no probs but as you know when it comes to your own bike you like to be a bit cautious. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

• GixxerBitch

Posted January 24, 2005 - 03:08 AM

Hi

My WR 400 spends most of it's time on the tarmac with only Sundays 'off road'. Yes, there are a few vibrations but this is only more noticeable because you're riding on a smooth surface.

So far, the longest journey I've done on it was about 50 miles travelling at an average speed of 50-60mph. All I can say is that it is very mind numbing and at times scary with the bike wanting to do it's own thing and make a break for the nearest field! :cry: It's a bit of a shock from riding a sports bike then getting on the WR, it feels like you've done 3 times the distance.....challenging though, be careful! :cry:

• stumpyten

Posted January 24, 2005 - 04:29 AM

Hi Chris,
I run a 99 wr 400 road reg that i use for green lanes/ road work i cover between 80 and 100 miles every time i go out at least a quarter of that is road work,the bike doesn't come any where near boiling point, also the majority of offroad bikes aren't fitted with cush drives on the rear wheel making vibration more noticeable on the black stuff, but still great fun regards steve

• StockJockey

Posted January 24, 2005 - 04:34 AM

I also commute to work on my 99wr400 as well as a good time in the the scrub during the home stretch.
The vibration can be almost unbearable when the speed gets high so I just keep at a tame sensible speed and make up for it off road.
I once questioned a mechanic about the vibration .. he said keep up your services and remember your riding a motorcross bike on the road,some vibes are to be expected.

• CHRIS_SARICH

Posted January 24, 2005 - 04:23 PM

thanks a heap i spouse 450 wouldn't have much more stress. I reckon rego will be a goer. :cry:

• timcook

Posted January 24, 2005 - 06:00 PM

you know we keep hearing the possible problems (transmission etc.) with a WR used on pavement.....but every euro WR I've seen online has trun signals and a plate. I plan on using mine to get to work on ocassion as well. I can think two things not to do on the pavement. One, do not travel long distances and the same speed and gear. Two, do not hammer her for the very reason there is no "give" on pavement.

• mjslim

Posted January 24, 2005 - 09:04 PM

The only thing I don't like about my WR450 is the way it feels on pavement - it buzzes like a hornet at any speed over 40 mph. It feels like it could use two more gears so you chug along at a reasonable rpm when doing freeway speeds. The bike is a thoroughbred and really is best suited for aggressive off-road riding. Something like an XR would be a better choice for the occasional putt to work.

• Desracer

Posted January 24, 2005 - 10:56 PM

I put a plate on my 03 just to get to the off road stuff. It's hard to keep doing the speed limit for long stretches. I never had my bike even get hot from riding on the road. The rpm level changes the buzz in the bars so I try to find a happy spot and just cruise long.

• cruise

Posted January 24, 2005 - 11:47 PM

I ride mine to work occasionly but its not as far as you have to go. You might find it better with a 15t front sprocket for on the highway.

• Wacko

Posted January 25, 2005 - 05:50 AM

I regularly ride my 03 450 to work. Also it's an hours ride to the trails from where I live. With 15/50 gearing the vibration isn't too bad at highway speeds.

So far the WR has handled all the road work just fine mechanically.

Remember it's a dirt bike and not a Goldwing so some vibration is to be expected.

I had an XR600 before and I find the WR is way better on the roads. I do wish I had the XR's seat though!

Wayne

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • coldweld

Posted January 25, 2005 - 07:11 AM

I road my wr 400 on the road for 200kms in the time i had it with no problems at all, Unless you mention that at speeds in excess of 100 mph the front wheel just skimed the road, and in emergency braking the back wheel over took the front.
Now i ride my 450 and the back wheel tries to overtake the front under hard acceleration.
i no longer ride much faster than 80 mph though [ speed cameras grow like weeds around here].
Ride your bike as much as you can thats what its for !

• thumper_dad

Posted January 25, 2005 - 10:22 AM

Come on people! do you think maybe all this vibration and humming are coming from the off road tires your running?
Try some street tires on that WR and it will ride more like a street bike if thats what you want :cry:

When you run off road stuff on road you have to expect a lot of vibration.

• firezwr426

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:21 AM

Come on people! do you think maybe all this vibration and humming are coming from the off road tires your running?
Try some street tires on that WR and it will ride more like a street bike if thats what you want :cry:

When you run off road stuff on road you have to expect a lot of vibration.

to dual sport your bike you have to have dot approved tires.. if you tried to run a dirt tire in the road you would have almost no braking, you would just slide..

• thumper_dad

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:37 AM

I have seen a lot of dual sport tires and they have knobies, I just think that knobies make noise and vibration no matter how small or even if they are dot approved.

Every off road or Dual Sport Bike I have ever rode rides like crap on the street. Then again, I have never rode a Newer Model dual sport bike

Thats just my personal experience.

• Guy

Posted January 25, 2005 - 01:15 PM

to dual sport your bike you have to have dot approved tires.. if you tried to run a dirt tire in the road you would have almost no braking, you would just slide..

ahh not quite true that..you can use full on MX tyres on the road....(not legally of course ) and they handle OK...not good but OK, you can carry enough grip tomget theback wheel off the floor !

I prefer fitting SM wheels and proper tyres, but when Trail riding I have to ride the roads with Knobblies on ! :cry:

• YeeHarr

Posted January 26, 2005 - 12:48 AM

I commute with my 04 wr450 about 100ks a week. I run road legal trail tyres - more dirt than road though.

In the wet it's a monster with these tyres, you can easily break traction at 70k's. It's kind of fun but you have to be careful and leave a good margin for error.

The only mods were done by the shop before I first got it - removed exhaust baffle and changed the throttle stop screw for the 'race' one. The road sproket was fitted (I told them how I expected to ride it).

I've only done 1500ks so far and it's almost all road with the odd weekend getting it dirty. The max speed limit to work is 70ks - it vibrates along at 70-80ks but it's fine. Not as bad as an old Norton Commando I rode once. I've tried it on the motorway and gave up at 140ks - it was still pulling - considering the tiny front brake (for a 'road' bike) and tyres I didn't want to go any faster.

It will get hot in traffic but I haven't overheated it - at least no steam has come out.

At worse case I'm about 10 out of 20 mins stationary. I am paranoid and have turned off the engine if the traffic is really bad. Perhaps this is the wrong thing to do but it starts so easy with the estart it's no hassle. In normal conditions I'm only stationary for about 5 minutes.

Temps here are lucky to go over 30C so it's not hot.

I almost always use the kick start when starting from cold.

So far the only problem I have had is the stutter at constant throttle problem. It does go away when I pull the TPS plug but I'm not sure I like the way it feels at lower revs with full throttle yet. I need to do a back to back test but haven't got around to it.

The amount of stutter seems weather dependent (pointing at jetting perhaps).
I was thinking of rejetting the middle jet (which ever one does 1/4 to 3/4 throttle) - but I can't decide if it makes sense when changing the ignition timing fixes the problem (ie - unplugging the TPS).

It's almost like there's a problem where the CDI doesn't light the spark plug in a small piece of the rev range - but I'm not experienced enough with this kind of thing to know if the stutter feels like jetting or ignition.

I love - adore - love - the thing on a dry road. Compared to a road bike you have SUV style visibility but you can straddle queues when you feel like it. You obviously can't flick it from side to side (higher cg) but it's still fun to ride corners on. The power is intoxicating. I love the light front wheel. (note to self: - keep wheel down because cops don't like it when it's up).

It's biggest problem for me so far is it makes me do bad things in traffic and I have far too much fun :-)

• CHRIS_SARICH

Posted January 26, 2005 - 01:32 AM

thanks a heap for all the responses. You've pretty much eased my concerns i was more worried bout mech failure that comfort Ive ridden mine on the roads a bit just quite legally. As for Yeeharr I reckon when you got to 140kph you should of held it on Ive seen 175kph on mine with 14/50 and didn't feel all that bad. Any way as usual you've come through with really helpful post thanks a heap. :cry:

• J_DOGG

Posted January 26, 2005 - 08:32 AM

My 04 WR450 is street legal, that was the main reason I got the WR and not the YZF....

In the summer I ride to the trails all the time and some times at night blast around the hood pulling wheelies on the quieter roads.
I still use the stock 756? tires and have not done anything with the rear hub. Everything is rock solid and I pound the snot out of her from 1st all the way up.

The roads I take are all country back roads so the only time I'm over 50mph is when I'm pounding the snot out of her for a good stretch. staying over 50mph for a long time will shake your head off and I ride with a Scott's steering dampener. The tires are what makes the bike shake like crazy at those high speeds. I wouldn't recommend any high driving with it but if you have some street tires that changes everything.

??? how can you drive these things on the street and keep the front tire down? I just can't do it.

• Guy

Posted January 26, 2005 - 02:51 PM

??? how can you drive these things on the street and keep the front tire down? I just can't do it.

on Super Moto wheels I run 15/42.......it helps calm things down a lot ! :cry:

• YeeHarr

Posted February 15, 2005 - 12:37 AM

on Super Moto wheels I run 15/42.......it helps calm things down a lot ! :)

What super motor wheels do you run?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.