dissapointed with 05 WR450

36 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 25, 2005 - 06:06 PM

Actually, it's an EPA requirement, to get green-sticker legal there has to be no EASY way for the owner to modify the carb settings...I used washers under my 81 XL250 needle to richen things up! This has been going on for a long time, us old farts are used to it...you newbies need to quit whining and start learning how to get around the EPA!!

Amen Rich... :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 25, 2005 - 06:24 PM

Actually there is quite a differnce between the 04 and 05 here in the states. The 05 is quite the dog. My 04 wr250 would outrun it out of the box. They also have smog controll on it now for 05. The pilot screw is plugged (easily removed though), and the needle only has one clip position on it now. It is also jetted quite lean from the factory. But with all the free mods it becomes the beast we are all familiar with!! :cry:

You guys in canada are just lucky you do not have to mess with all this stuff!!

Yes, Yamaha had to jump over hurdles to get a green sticker but it's simple to get the bike back to where you'd want it. Very basic stuff guys....

What are the differences between Canadian and US bikes?

Anybody?

• eightballeddy

Posted January 25, 2005 - 06:39 PM

:cry: the throttle stop dosen't need to be cut. Also the grey wire comes disconected. My 04 airbox also came without a lid. I'm wondering what the "snorkel" is and where is it located on the bike. :cry:

• Wezldoc

Posted January 25, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Hey All,
I uncrated my 05 WR450 imported from Canada two weeks ago. Initially disappointed but performed ALL free mods after break-in. Had to cut throttle stop, disconnect grey wire, remove baffle, etc. Now it's a MONSTER! Can't wait to get to the trails! From my daily reading of this forum, sounds like the bikes are the same.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 26, 2005 - 07:45 AM

Wezlcoc, did your Canadian bike have a throttle stop and the AIS? This is what I heard somewhere, but I want to hear it from the horses mouth...

Thanks, Dan

• huntmaster

Posted January 26, 2005 - 08:11 AM

Hey All,
I uncrated my 05 WR450 imported from Canada two weeks ago. Initially disappointed but performed ALL free mods after break-in. Had to cut throttle stop, disconnect grey wire, remove baffle, etc. Now it's a MONSTER! Can't wait to get to the trails! From my daily reading of this forum, sounds like the bikes are the same.

I don't think the Canadian bikes have the throttle stop and "grey wire". At least they didn't before.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 26, 2005 - 08:22 AM

I know about the grey wire,throttle stop and exhaust. I just want to know about the AIS... :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 26, 2005 - 12:06 PM

Can you taste your beer? :cry:

Without the long list of mods from TT we would all be hearing the 05 WR450 owners on the trails saying:

"I cant feel my WR! I cant feel my WR" :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtguy

Posted January 26, 2005 - 06:03 PM

pardon my ignorance, but i have had several people tell me the throttle stop mod is done on the top right side of the carb body where the cable wraps around and others say it is in the throttle housing on the handle bar---which is correct

• Gadsen

Posted January 26, 2005 - 06:50 PM

...This has been going on for a long time, us old farts are used to it...you newbies need to quit whining and start learning how to get around the EPA!!

:cry: Agree. I always said: "if man made it, man can defeat it" :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 26, 2005 - 08:18 PM

The throttle stop is the bolt on the right side of the carb which limits the throttle slide pulley rotation. Pop off the small cover on the right side and you can see the bolt at the 8:00 position of the throttle cable pulley. :cry:

• wantmorepower

Posted January 26, 2005 - 08:44 PM

I hear most people bitch and moan so much about their plugged up WR's. It's really not that bad if you ask me. I for one am greatful that us Californians finally get a green-stickered WR. In return for getting such a prodigious gift from Yamaha, I really wouldn't mind having to do some simple modifications to make it operate acceptably. Everyone would love to have a kick-ass WR out of the crate, but if that were so it probably wouldn't have been stickerable.

• atomictom

Posted January 26, 2005 - 10:14 PM

:cry: 'nough said :cry:

• Wezldoc

Posted January 26, 2005 - 11:28 PM

Lorenze, yes indeed, throttle stop and AIS on my Canadian bike! The owners manual also came printed in French, German and Spanish...about 350 pages in all! Is the US bikes owners manual also multi-lingual?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 27, 2005 - 05:27 AM

Wez, Thanks for the confirmation.. The US manuals are about 3/4" thick. They're different than your Euro/Canadian manuals. So, it looks like Yamaha only made one flavor of the 05 WR. :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 27, 2005 - 05:29 AM

I hear most people bitch and moan so much about their plugged up WR's. It's really not that bad if you ask me. I for one am greatful that us Californians finally get a green-stickered WR. In return for getting such a prodigious gift from Yamaha, I really wouldn't mind having to do some simple modifications to make it operate acceptably. Everyone would love to have a kick-ass WR out of the crate, but if that were so it probably wouldn't have been stickerable.

I would agree with you... :cry:

• wrooster

Posted January 28, 2005 - 01:13 PM

pardon my ignorance, but i have had several people tell me the throttle stop mod is done on the top right side of the carb body where the cable wraps around and others say it is in the throttle housing on the handle bar---which is correct

picture of location:
http://www.thumperfaq.com/throttle.htm

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.