Best Clutch Setup

11 replies to this topic
  • Buzzard

Posted January 23, 2005 - 05:35 PM

Looking for feedback. What is the best clutch setup for a 2001 650R desert raced and serious trail ridden? What are best aftermarket parts and setup, etc.?

• bootlegger2

Posted January 23, 2005 - 06:06 PM

got some friends who ride them in very tight woods so lots of slipin going on and they still on stock stuff and they abuse them riden same as you there

• TimBrp

Posted January 24, 2005 - 04:16 AM

I'm going to replace the stock basket and pressure plate on mine this winter. Hinson, I think, is the only place that makes one as of right now. Wiseco just came out with some "forged" baskets. Those should hold up well. They also have metal around the basket fingers so they don't get grooved to badly. Hope one comes out. If you're desert racing I'd go with the Barnett plates and get some Xr's Only HD springs. My bike simply hooks. A lil grabby on the street though.

• Buzzard

Posted January 24, 2005 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for the input! Have any of you heard of company offering clutch parts called KG? Are they any good? How do they compare to Barnett?

• TimBrp

Posted January 24, 2005 - 09:21 AM

I have never heard of them. Chances are if you haven't heard them mentioned then there aren't alot of testimonials out there for them. Stock plates are fine as long as you have HD springs. Good luck.

• kellismechanic

Posted January 24, 2005 - 09:47 AM

I put a Barnett Dirt Digger clutch kit in my 96 XR630R and it works flawless, desert and tight single track. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dave102429

Posted January 24, 2005 - 09:55 AM

Looking for feedback. What is the best clutch setup for a 2001 650R desert raced and serious trail ridden? What are best aftermarket parts and setup, etc.?

I've heard a number of guys have added an extra metal clutch plate. Details can be found at the Pig Pen I'm about to try this myself and install a set of XRs Only HD clutch springs. The judder spring mod is questionable. I think I'll keep my judder spring for now.

• frankstr

Posted January 24, 2005 - 12:16 PM

I've installed the xtra metal disc,and have over a year of trail riding,lots of clutch usage and have no slippage at all...
The xtra disc titens up the spring pressure,I'm using the stock springs :cry:

• Kritter

Posted January 25, 2005 - 01:29 AM

OEM parts with an extra metal plate and you are in business. Best thing since sliced bread for the 650.

• Mikie1

Posted January 25, 2005 - 06:58 PM

Were you able to keep the judder spring with the extra metal plate? Does the clutch disengage completely, or does it drag a little with the extra plate? And stock springs still? The bike we raced in the Baja 1000 had an extra metal plate with the judder removed and stiffer springs. It hooked up really well, and the effort at the lever wasn't much more than stock, but once it got hot it was very grabby and made a screeching sound when engaging.

• frankstr

Posted January 26, 2005 - 09:24 AM

I have the xtra plate,stock springs,judder spring,,not grabby at all and no noise,If I remember rite :cry: It was said you could have a noisy & grabby clutch without the judder spring....

• TimBrp

Posted January 26, 2005 - 09:35 AM

I have the judder spring and seat still in mine with Barnett dirt digger fibers and steels (screw their springs), and xr's only HD springs. Clutch performs flawlessly, however does screech when hot and is a bit grabby on the street. However, clutch pull and performance are right there.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.