First ride with weighted flywheel

21 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted January 23, 2005 - 03:27 PM

Took my first woods ride on my YZ426 w/ the new Steahly installed today. It definately has different riding characteristics now. I kind of miss the punch it had on the bottom but really like that it doesn't stall when I chop the thottle now. One other effect I noticed and I'm not sure why this is, but the clutch seems to moan. I never heard any noise at all before the new flywheel and now it kind of groans or moans when I let it out. Any thoughts? :cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 23, 2005 - 04:02 PM

Did you have to install a different ignition cover to allow the flywheel weight to fit? Sometimes adding a different cover can cause the motor to eminate some new sounds.

• Goosedog

Posted January 23, 2005 - 04:10 PM

Nope...stock cover. The bolt-on type weight requires the bigger cover but this flywheel was a direct swap-out.

• sanpedro426

Posted January 23, 2005 - 09:27 PM

Goosedog, what flywheel did you go with? You said bolt on was it a whole new flywheel and how much extra weight was it and of coarse how much $$$$ :cry: Did you change brands of oil? I used to use castole and my clutch kinda howeld and was a little juttery when slipped. When i switched to AMSOIL sinthetic motorcycle oil (something designed for wet clutches) that howl went away. Just a thought. :cry:

• Goosedog

Posted January 24, 2005 - 05:10 AM

Sanpedro, It's a 12oz Steahly complete flywheel. I did change the oil too and used Yamalube 20/40. That's a good point BTW, it's probably the oil making the clutch groan like that. I'm not sure what was in it before cause it was my first oil change since I got the bike used last month. Have you tried the Yamalube that's half synthetic and half organic? I forgot the name of it but heard it's used a lot for wet clutches.

• sanpedro426

Posted January 24, 2005 - 11:06 AM

yea i think i used the yamalube once, dont remember why i switched. Probly because i was anal about castrol gtx in my cars/truck, but its not desighned for wet clutches and i got a groan out of the clutch so i switched to AMSOIL and i LOVE it.whenever i find something goin on with my ride i try to think WHAT HAVE I CHANGED, it helps. Thanx for the info on the flywheel, but you didnt say how much $$$$ if you dont mind me asking. :cry: :cry:

• Goosedog

Posted January 24, 2005 - 02:01 PM

Thanx for the info on the flywheel, but you didnt say how much $$$$ if you dont mind me asking. :cry: :cry:

They go for $195. at Steahlys site. But I got mine used for a little over half that from a TTer.

• mxcowboy

Posted January 24, 2005 - 02:54 PM

Congrat's on the flywheel. It seems you like yours as much as I like mine. Plus when you go to the track just lay the bike over and swap the flywheels.

• Goosedog

Posted January 24, 2005 - 03:08 PM

Congrat's on the flywheel. It seems you like yours as much as I like mine. Plus when you go to the track just lay the bike over and swap the flywheels.

Thanks for your inspiration man, it's truely a worthwhile mod. :cry:

• sanpedro426

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:11 AM

Goosedog, i gotta ask , i went to not what i was looking for do know the site for the flywheel? Please :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:22 AM

• Crabtree426

Posted January 26, 2005 - 09:16 PM

Hello everyone. This is my first day on this site and I'm already liking what I see. I have a 2000 yz426. I was on Steahly's site a few days ago looking at fly wheels. Do you think the 8 or 10 oz. flywheel would have been better then the 12oz.? I really like the hit of my bike but I do want to be able to put more power to the ground. Anyone have experience with the 8 or 10?

• machoman_#618

Posted January 27, 2005 - 03:26 AM

Heck I went with a 16 on mine

• Goosedog

Posted January 27, 2005 - 05:20 AM

I really like the hit of my bike but I do want to be able to put more power to the ground.

That's the trade-off. That's also the major diff between a trail bike and a MX bike. It's worth it in my opinion. I've been told anything less than 12oz and you won't feel any real difference.

• Goosedog

Posted February 06, 2005 - 05:52 PM

Holy a chance to really try out the weighted flywheel today on some tight singletrack and muddy hillclimbs. Man I love it, it rides as smooth as my DRZ now but still with twice the power. It takes a little getting used to and really does ride like a different machine. I put the bike in second gear for most of the tight stuff, forgot about the clutch and it wouldn't stall. I even hit a few hillclimbs from a dead stop at the bottom starting out in second and it lugged like a tractor and wouldn't spin. I know you Rekluse guys swear by your auto-clutches but I just saved myself $400 cause I don't need it. Plus I still get to use the clutch when I want to. Cheers to an extra 12oz. :cry:

• sanpedro426

Posted February 06, 2005 - 09:36 PM

goosedog, sounds like 12 is the way to go, i was thinkin i might try 10 OZ. I do like the idea of getting the whole new flywheel and puller, that way IF you want to go back to stock for some silly reason one could do that . :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Dano426

Posted February 07, 2005 - 08:19 AM

Holy Shmoly....

You you like it then :cry:

• Goosedog

Posted February 07, 2005 - 02:22 PM

You you like it then :cry:

Definately! And thanks again Dan. :cry:

• Crabtree426

Posted February 07, 2005 - 03:55 PM

Goosedog, nice thread. I was torn between the Steahly fly and a Rekluse but I think you've got me convinced to go with my gut feeling. I could put the $$$ I save towards a steering stabilizer. You sure about the 12 oz. instead of the 10. I'm not going to be doing any enduros, just trailriding and hairs.

• fatnugget

Posted February 07, 2005 - 04:01 PM

I put an 8oz one on my YZF400 a few years ago and it made a huge difference on climbing hills and trail riding. I was worried about losing the hit of the bike and while it did mellow it slightly I felt I was getting better traction due to less wheelspin. 8oz was noticeable but for me it was all positive.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.