Barnums Pro Exhaust - Pictures inside

14 replies to this topic
  • Naru

Posted January 22, 2005 - 11:46 AM

Just thought I'd post some pictures of Rob Barnums new exhaust. Rob graciously delivered them last night on the way down to a trophy ceremony in Mexicali. Well, pictures are worth a thousand words, but let me add the 1001th - damn.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The exhaust quality is very, very good, and beyond what I had hoped. Everything is exceptionally well thought out, down to the dual bolts on the exhaust clamp to make for a more secure installation. You can't really see it in the pictures, but the exhausts are ceramic coated. Also, the can is not unnecesarily wide in diameter, like some other systems (Moriwaki, for example).

I'm installing it as I write this, so I'll post some installed pictures and hopefully a ride report later today. Right now, the exhaust is a straight through; hopefully I can get the spark arrestor insert whenever it becomes available, as I don't need to start any fires if I'm riding outside the desert.

On a side note, I would like to let anyone know that hasn't spoken with Rob before, that he is one of the most straight foreward, knowledgable, and nicest people I have ever dealt with. While I was not there to get the exhausts (my fiance was able to while I was at work), I had a chance to speak with him on the phone, and was impressed. I will definately be sending him the suspension off both of the XR's , and perhaps even some engine work if my credit card doesn't catch fire and incinerate itself. So, for anyone out there that has been thinking about getting some work done, try Rob first.

• qadsan

Posted January 22, 2005 - 12:26 PM

How'd you get them so early? You must have pre-ordered, yes? I was told they'd be available late February, but that he's taking orders now and filling them first come first serve. I'll be very interested to hear from you how it performs vs the Morawaki. I've ridden Rob's bike and it's incredible, but my bike is fairly stock except for a carb, cam, good tuning, etc. Is your bike also fairly stock or ???

• RingKingPin

Posted January 22, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Whaddya mean new exhaust? I've been running one of those for two years now :cry: Is there something different? I've been very pleased with the performance, fit and finish of the can. I really like the way that everything is allened together so I can take it all the way apart. The only two rivets on the can are to hold the Barnums badge on. I only wish that he would have used Metric hardware instead of standard. Mine came with two different spark arrestors. One which is like an inch and a half and another with is so small you wouldn't think the bike would run but it is quiet. I too like the way the thing isn't huge in diameter, looks sweet! :cry:

• Naru

Posted January 23, 2005 - 07:00 PM

Well, I think that they just now became available for the average person (myself included). My fiance pre-ordered them a while back, so we were very lucky to get ours as soon as we did.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time reassembling the bike this weekend, and didn't have a chance to test it yet or take more pictures. But, I will be back next weekend with a full ride report (my bikes are kept at a different house than where I stay all week, or else I'd be working on it now :cry: ). On a side note, the bikes are stock engine wise except for an edelbrock carburator (and the obvious uncorking). No cam in them yet, but I'm hoping to pick one up from Barnums fairly soon. And maybe one day, I too can join the 680 club :cry: .

Also, I've been adding quite a few parts to the bikes recently, so I'll be posting an eval. of all the products soon in case anyone is interested in them. Including: Scotts stabilizer, shark fin, Braking OS wave f/r, Goodridge SS f/r, Topar racing XR650R sprocket cove, Ironman sprockets, DID chain, Magura Juice clutch, Electrex and Trick DS kits, Electrex and Ricky Stator stators, Full BRP upper/lower sub mount triple kit (whenever they finish it this month!), Flexx Bars, Trailtech, Bridgestone HD tubes, Pro armor skidplate/frameguards, autoclutch, acerbis and clarke tanks, Works Connection rear brake cover, IMS pegs, some Precision Concepts parts (reinforced footpeg bracket, radiator braces for acerbis tank, cable re-routers, carbon fiber fork covers), and lots of other things I'm forgetting. I'll also be selling some things I didn't like or didn't use, or don't have a use for any more (HRC tips, Moriwaki System, Uni Filters, WC Radiator braces, DP sintered pads, etc).

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 23, 2005 - 08:01 PM

Whaddya mean new exhaust? I've been running one of those for two years now :cry: Is there something different? I've been very pleased with the performance, fit and finish of the can. I really like the way that everything is allened together so I can take it all the way apart. The only two rivets on the can are to hold the Barnums badge on. I only wish that he would have used Metric hardware instead of standard. Mine came with two different spark arrestors. One which is like an inch and a half and another with is so small you wouldn't think the bike would run but it is quiet. I too like the way the thing isn't huge in diameter, looks sweet! :cry:

What does it add to the bikes power delivery and would you recommend it for a bike ridden mostly in the woods with occassional desert riding?

I have a Hotcam stage one with an Edelbrock. I also have the Baja Designs electric start kit installed. A 4.6 gal IMS tank. Would this exhaust even fit a bike set up like mine? (take a look at the Baja Designs E-Start kit and let me know)

• RingKingPin

Posted January 23, 2005 - 08:03 PM

LOL Naru, does this make me above average?!?!?! :cry: I think I just happened to be at the right place at the right time and thought he had been selling these cans! I can't agree with you more about Rob's disposition and professionalism. Both he and his wife are really cool! I thought that there were a lot of these cans out there already. Now I really feel honored and to think I'm out in Indiana. Have fun with your new toys and if you talk to them anytime soon, tell them the Hoosier says hi!

Geoff

• RingKingPin

Posted January 23, 2005 - 08:10 PM

Old Man,

The vast majority of my riding is tight trails in Indiana and Michigan. I do have some motard wheels and I travel around the states quite a bit with my pig so it's seen quite a variety of riding. I have a similar setup to you except I have a hot cam, an 11:1 piston and the airbox mod, along with some other smaller mods that I'm not sure even make a difference (i.e. Nology coil and wire, etc) It's really hard for me to say what it does cause I had a lot of work done to my bike at once and the pipe came along with package. It seems like the general consenus is that you can't beat the stocker for performance. With the set up I have, I believe it can be beat. I have both Robs header and cam and the bike just really hauls but. My favorite thing about it is it's slim profile and the fact that it's so well built and allened together! The only thing that I would change would be to make all the hardware metric. (which he may have already done)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RingKingPin

Posted January 23, 2005 - 08:13 PM

Old man, I'm talking about the CAN only. I have one of Rob's headers but it is not the one that wraps around both sides of the jug. I don't think that the one that wraps around both sides of the jug would work with the baja designs starter but can't say for sure.

• Naru

Posted January 23, 2005 - 08:22 PM

If I remember correctly from seeing your pictures of the Baja E-start install, it sat above the countershaft sprocket area. If that's the case, I don't think it will work. The exhaust wraps around the left side of the cylinder as well as the right, and journeys around under the carburator, meeting behind and to the right of the carb.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 23, 2005 - 09:36 PM

If I remember correctly from seeing your pictures of the Baja E-start install, it sat above the countershaft sprocket area. If that's the case, I don't think it will work. The exhaust wraps around the left side of the cylinder as well as the right, and journeys around under the carburator, meeting behind and to the right of the carb.

If it goes under the carb it will not work with the Baja Designs E-Start. The battery is situated under the carb and there is no room at all left over. Thanks for the information guys. It sounds like I would want to stick with the stock exhaust anyway since there would not be much of a performance boost if any.

Posted Image

• drex

Posted January 24, 2005 - 03:06 PM

Just thought I'd post some pictures of Rob Barnums new exhaust. Rob graciously delivered them last night on the way down to a trophy ceremony in Mexicali. Well, pictures are worth a thousand words, but let me add the 1001th - damn.

On a side note, I would like to let anyone know that hasn't spoken with Rob before, that he is one of the most straight foreward, knowledgable, and nicest people I have ever dealt with. While I was not there to get the exhausts (my fiance was able to while I was at work), I had a chance to speak with him on the phone, and was impressed. I will definately be sending him the suspension off both of the XR's , and perhaps even some engine work if my credit card doesn't catch fire and incinerate itself. So, for anyone out there that has been thinking about getting some work done, try Rob first.

I read this, looked at the pictures, went away for a couple of hours, then came back.

That stuff looks great! Naru, take the day off work :cry: get it all installed, ride for a few hours . . . then give us a report!

Okay, maybe that's too much to ask.

• motart

Posted January 26, 2005 - 11:20 AM

That stuff looks great! Naru, take the day off work :cry: get it all installed, ride for a few hours . . . then give us a report!

yes,yes,yes :cry:

• Naru

Posted January 26, 2005 - 07:29 PM

If I had the time to go do that, you guys wouldn't even have to ask. :cry: Unfortunately, I keep all my bikes about 2 hours away from my primary residence, since that residence is an apartment with no garage. But, I'm going to be working on the bike again at around 3PM Friday, so I'll at least have pictures up by Friday night, and ride report shortly thereafter. Actually, if anyone is planning on being at Ocotillo Wells either next weekend or maybe even this weekend, I'd be happy to meet someone at their camp and let them try the bike to see what they think of the exhaust. Plus, I'm always looking for people to ride with. :cry:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 26, 2005 - 09:27 PM

If I had the time to go do that, you guys wouldn't even have to ask. :cry: Unfortunately, I keep all my bikes about 2 hours away from my primary residence, since that residence is an apartment with no garage. But, I'm going to be working on the bike again at around 3PM Friday, so I'll at least have pictures up by Friday night, and ride report shortly thereafter. Actually, if anyone is planning on being at Ocotillo Wells either next weekend or maybe even this weekend, I'd be happy to meet someone at their camp and let them try the bike to see what they think of the exhaust. Plus, I'm always looking for people to ride with. :cry:

Come on up here to Washington and I will ride with you.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :devil: :devil:

• Naru

Posted January 30, 2005 - 06:28 PM

Some pictures from a long weekend.

Posted Image

Nifty

Posted Image

More nifty.

Posted Image

Left side view.

Posted Image

More left side view.

Posted Image

T-I-G-H-T tolerances.

Posted Image

Ditto.

I'll post some more stuff after I get some sleep. Spent the better part of last night walking several miles to camp and digging my truck out of an ugly situation. But I will say that the exhaust seems to be very, very well designed for the BRP, and it's easy to tell Rob has tested this extensively.

PS - Quick question for you juice clutch users out there. I bought one from a member here that had the SRC kit, and everything looked fine when I got it. However, when I installed it, at full pull of the clutch lever, the slave cylinder would only pull the actuator arm about half as far as it needed to. I adjusted the roller on the lever, but it didn't help. Any ideas? Also, every time I pulled the lever, a thick coating of black mineral oil was on the plunger rod; does it need to be rebuilt? I can't imagine the clutch working for very long doing that. Thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.