YZF426...still competitive at mx track???

18 replies to this topic
  • chan470

Posted January 21, 2005 - 03:29 PM

I have a 02 426 that I love. I really have no complaints about the bike, well maybe weight, but it is it. Last year I pulled a couple of holeshots with the "old" bike. I'm considering selling the 426 and purchasing a 450, but I keep asking myself is it necessary. Will the 450 make me faster? To be honest I've never felt that I need more power with the bike I have. So the question is;

Can a YZ426 still be competitive at the race track??? :cry:

All opinions welcome!! :cry:

Chan

• RCannon

Posted January 21, 2005 - 03:58 PM

I would say yes. I think any modern bike is good enough to compete. I watch a fast local pro mess around on his old 89 CR 500. He passes everyone at the track. The new 450 is lighter, but you see people mess that up even.

The track I ride is very small. Fast guys lap it in about 30 seconds. I take about 45, but...

The guy pulls up in his range roven and 2005 YZ 250. One of the lightest bikes made. He then proceds to fill his gas tank and adds uses all of the 2.2 gallon capacity. Go figure!

I say ride the bike and have fun. It is too easy to get caught up in the special finance offers and that feeling of wanting a new bike. Take the money you saved and take a half day off of work each week in the summer and ride. I guarantee you'll be happy.

• HotRod250F

Posted January 21, 2005 - 04:23 PM

I'm with Rcannon, the 426 is definitely still competitive. I think it's all about the rider and his ability. Someone posted something similar on the 250F forum, whether to upgrade his "old" '01 YZF or buy a new one. Save the money and just keep riding, practicing, and pulling holeshots :cry: I too, own an '02 YZ 426 and I think it rocks! Before this bike I owned an '02 250F, and before that an '01 426. These bikes are bulletproof and can hang with any of the newer machinery. I see dudes at the track on old beat-up 2-strokes and YZ 400's that can smoke guys on newer bikes :cry:

I say, if you're already comfortable on your bike and it has plenty of power for you, enjoy it. Line up next to those new 450's on Sunday, go WFO, and blow some minds :cry: :cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 21, 2005 - 04:33 PM

Hell yea, I spank my buddies every time I ride (hehe..) and I'm on an 01' 426! Never need more power, the motor is a dream! Sure the new suspension would be nice and less weight would be cool, maybe even improve my lap times a little bit, but not nearly as much as me spending all that extra money on practice time at the local track! I new bike would be nice, but I think it's not quiet a "necessity" yet. I would take a 426 over any brand new 2-stroke!

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 21, 2005 - 04:43 PM

90% rider 10% bike.

Anyone can go fast in a straight line on a rode.

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 21, 2005 - 04:44 PM

I've seen my buddy on his old 490 smoke people on the track.

• yz_for_me

Posted January 21, 2005 - 09:57 PM

As sirthump said, hell yea! I bought a 450 this fall after riding an '01 426 for two years. After riding the 450, I'm even more impressed with how good the 426 still is. Other than a few pounds and improved suspension, the new bikes don't have anything on the 426. I've said it before, for the money, the 426 is the best deal out there. You can pick them up cheap and they out flat rip.

• chan470

Posted January 22, 2005 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll keep the "old" bike around for another racing season. Now all I have to do is control my "new bike fever".

Anyone making the transition from a 426 to a '05 450? If so what's your opinion?

• Tim_Whisnant

Posted January 22, 2005 - 07:33 AM

How abaout the YZ400 ??? I'm thinking of buying a '98 with all the bells and whistles. I'm just a senior novice and want a YZ cheap. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted January 22, 2005 - 07:49 AM

I've seen my buddy on his old 490 smoke people on the track.

man,i miss my IT 490,that thing could float like a butterly through the tight stuff and sting like a bee thru the rest!! i really think i was just as fast on that as my new bike,maybe even faster? but you can't beat that new bike smell :cry:

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 22, 2005 - 09:51 AM

Hey if you want a new bike smell. Give her a cosmetic fresh up. ie: powder coat the frame, new graphics, and do the 450 plastic mod, polish everything up. And your set.

• yz_for_me

Posted January 22, 2005 - 03:09 PM

How abaout the YZ400 ??? I'm thinking of buying a '98 with all the bells and whistles. I'm just a senior novice and want a YZ cheap. :cry:

The '98 YZ400 would be a great bike for you. Especially in the novice class where no one is really pushing the bikes to the limit. I'd pick up the 400 before I'd buy a 250 of the same era. Again, just make sure the previous owner took good care of it.

• RCannon

Posted January 22, 2005 - 04:47 PM

I traded my IT 465 for a New YZ 490. It was the stupidest thing I ever did in my life except get married. Seriously, I would rather double date with Scott Peterson than ride the YZ 490. It was one of the worst bikes ever built.

Sometimes new bikes are wonderful. Other times you would gladly give the things away. If you like your current bike, keep it and enjoy. If you dont, sell it for any price. Life is too shoort.

• 642MX

Posted January 22, 2005 - 07:49 PM

I can't justify getting rid of my 426, I think it has as much power as any 450 has. The 426 is alot like me: good looking, strong, and a little overweight.

• MichiganMXer

Posted January 24, 2005 - 10:49 AM

I'm sqeezing one more season out of my stock 01. My buddy has a piped 04 crf450 and we still go back and forth on holeshots. (He's 30 lbs lighter than me too.) I know his 450 is quicker than my 426, but my point is it still has the ability to win a holeshot; and that's why im stickin w/ my 426 for ONE more year.

Its all in the rider.

I'm getting the 06 450 w/ the aluminum frame. :cry:
Im hoping they bring back a little of that 03 450 HIT. :cry: :cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 24, 2005 - 04:40 PM

On the down side, I was reminded this past weekend that I cannot run down an AF500 (CR250 frame, moded CR500 engine by Service Honda) with a 426 on a strait away. He didn't gain much in the short distance that we ran, but I wasn't going to pass him that's for sure!

• chabat

Posted January 25, 2005 - 07:13 PM

The '98 YZ400 would be a great bike for you. Especially in the novice class where no one is really pushing the bikes to the limit. I'd pick up the 400 before I'd buy a 250 of the same era. Again, just make sure the previous owner took good care of it.

Which brings up a good point! How do you know when you are looking at a used Thumper if the guy took care of it or not? What kinds of things do you check on the engine when looking to buy a used machine? :cry:

• ThumpDave

Posted January 25, 2005 - 07:21 PM

Hear Hear...My 01 426 is stupid fast...at 35 years of age...there is no way I'll be able to ride it to its capasity.

• FSA909

Posted January 25, 2005 - 07:39 PM

If you feel comfortable with the 426 then i would say keep it. That 426 is and will be a competitive bike, as long as you are. The rider makes the difference. It may be old technology, but it still works.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.