Rear shock

7 replies to this topic
  • Darren_Santilli

Posted August 02, 2001 - 01:34 AM

Hello again....

I've got some major damage to my shock and find myself in a dilema.

The cost to repair it is only marginally cheaper than buying a brand new Ohlins shock.

What are your thoughts? Will I be better off spending a bit more and getting the Ohlins?

Darren
2000WR400

• Scott_F

Posted August 02, 2001 - 05:23 AM

Tell us the exact damage for a more accurate response.

• MXH

Posted August 02, 2001 - 07:09 AM

Forget the standard shock and go for the Ohlins. I had my standard one revalved and there is a big improvement, so I would assume the Ohlins (set up correctly) would be at least as good. You would probably want to get the forks revalved to match - got mine done at RaceSpec (www.racespec.co.uk)

BTW, are you riding in the Eastern centre this weekend - I seem to recall you're from that way?

Mike

• MOmilkman

Posted August 02, 2001 - 08:20 AM

About 3 months ago I seen one sell on e-bay for around $60. What are they asking to fix it?
I wish I could remember who the seller was he had all sorts of WR merchandise for sale.

------------------
Darin in Missouri - 1999 WR400F
Enduro Heaven - Ozark Mountain TrailRiders

[This message has been edited by MOmilkman (edited 08-02-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted August 02, 2001 - 09:17 PM

Does White Power (and White Bros) still sell shocks?

Ohlins still gets the nod, but I am curious...

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 02, 2001 - 09:26 PM

This one really has my curosity peaked. "Major damage to my shock"....man there has got to be a great story in here somewhere.

You didn't mention any other damage, so I'm thinking you've got one of those stories to tell that starts: THERE I WAS, THUMPIN ALONG AT 90 MILES AN HOUR,INVEVERTED,WHEN :)

I gotta know more...... :D

• vincegatcore.com

Posted August 02, 2001 - 09:53 PM

I have a 99 rear shock like new, 5 rides.
make me an offer

• Darren_Santilli

Posted August 02, 2001 - 02:22 PM

MXH....Unluckily for me, I'll not be riding anywhere this weekend due to my lack of boingyness at the rear end.

As for how it happened....its really not that interesting but maybe something to watch for.

A couple of weeks ago, While riding a muddy mx track (Washbrook Farm in to those of you here in England) I noticed the bike started to feel a bit odd but put it down to the huge amount of mud on the bike, so after giving it a quick checkover I decided to keep riding for the rest of the day.

While cleaning it off later on, I foung to my horror that the spring had come off the seat at the bottom of the shock and was now sitting forward of its normally central position relative to the damper rod.
As a result, the spring has rubbed on the bottom of the shock body (where the damper rod enters the body), so much so that it has worn right through the casing.

So, as I said...it major!

Since starting this post, I've found a place that is going to supply me with an Ohlins shock that is sprung and valved to my weight, for £250 as opposed to the £450 list price.

BTW an original shock from Yamaha is £760!!!

Happy riding

Darren

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.