Shifting --answers please

5 replies to this topic
  • 99raptor

Posted January 21, 2005 - 02:37 PM

I'm having trouble shifting when standing.I have always used the clutch to shift but it was suggested to me to"let off the throttle a bit and nudge the shifter" and it would be ok. Will this technique damage any thing ,long term or short term.It would make it easier on my standing shifting techniques,but if it is gonna mess things up ,I'm open to any suggestions to help me. Oh yeah its a 2004 yz450f.Used exclusively in the desert so speeds are pretty good.

• Yamaha600Racer

Posted January 21, 2005 - 04:57 PM

I suggest shifting with the clutch....I am not positive about any problems that may arise from this method of shifting :cry: , but I just dont like the idea. Do what you feel comfortable with, I would suggest using the clutch.... Don't think its to hard to use, and doesn't take much time to use it... My .02! :cry:
p.s. are you having a problem with the position of the shifter? if so, loosen the bolt on the shifter and move it up or down until it feels more comfortable for you. Thats what I did, and I was much more at home! :cry:

• Butta

Posted January 21, 2005 - 06:16 PM

As long as you aren't jamming the gears when you shift without the clutch, there won't be any harm. I hardly use the clutch to shift when I'm on the track, and even when I'm on my FZ-1 at highway speeds. Just don't force it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2005 - 10:39 PM

As long as you aren't jamming the gears when you shift without the clutch, there won't be any harm. I hardly use the clutch to shift when I'm on the track, and even when I'm on my FZ-1 at highway speeds. Just don't force it.

Absolutely right. Just roll the throttle back a bit and make a smooth, quick shift (don't slide it in slow, flick it). As long as you don't hear a grinding sound you're fine.

And for those of you who think that's brutal, you would have loved to see the CZ team on the starting line back in the day when MX first came to the 'States. Back then, you were required to start with your left hand on your head. When the flag dropped, you reached for the clutch, threw it gear and went. Teammates Joel Robert and Roger DeCoster used to bypass using the clutch altogether and simply stomp the thing into second at 6 grand as soon as they could reach the bar! :cry:

But don't try this at home!

• Chills

Posted January 24, 2005 - 01:22 PM

I use both Methods. I was completely prone to using nothing but the clutch and that was the way I learned to ride. After riding for the last year, picking up tips and tricks, most of the time I refrain from using the clutch on the straights and prior to entering the turns, through the turns and tight spots I use the clutch or feather the clutch in the coners. I probably have more shavings and wear in my oil than someone who uses the clutch consistantly, but I change my oil every 2 rides to keep it fresh and out of the engine... I think it comes down to rider preference and what makes you feel more comfortable on the bike.

• assgasorgrass

Posted January 25, 2005 - 10:14 AM

I agree with grayracer, as long as you're not grinding, you should be fine (even though I generally use the clutch out of habit).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.