Crf450x

12 replies to this topic
  • endurodog

Posted January 21, 2005 - 11:59 AM

I know a few guys here have been interested in the CRF450X. There are a few reviews over in the CRF forum. Just a few media types have gotten to ride the bike, won't be in the shops till April was my understanding.

• vantolr

Posted January 21, 2005 - 12:46 PM

It will certainly rival the WR 450F.....both bikes are pretty sweet! I'd still lean toward the WR, though.

• endurodog

Posted January 21, 2005 - 12:52 PM

The nice thing for all of us is when one company makes improvements the other has to follow. In the end all of us win no matter what we ride. As I was reading some of the stuff, with guys saying they like the new Honda, I was wondering what Yamaha will do next. Again it will all end up good for us.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 21, 2005 - 02:44 PM

Now if I could only figure out how to get the WR450 engine into the CR450X :cry: That would be an awesome bike!! :cry: Yamaha are you listening? :cry:

• Eliems

Posted January 21, 2005 - 10:03 PM

As I understand it the CRF 450 is equivolent to YZ450 isn't it? High first gear, not good for tight steep riding.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 21, 2005 - 10:23 PM

We are talking about the new CRF450X model designed to compete with the WR450 :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • atlas

Posted January 21, 2005 - 10:40 PM

The WR would win hands down!

• Hamish

Posted January 21, 2005 - 11:25 PM

The WR would win hands down!

and your basis for this comment? apart from the fact that you probably own a WR.

• elton

Posted January 22, 2005 - 08:26 AM

I own a "05 WZ450" and Intend to buy another similar class bike in a few months.

I was going to get the 450X when it arrives at my Yam/Honda dealer, but the maintenance nightmares on the 250X (that I almost bought prior to getting smart :cry: ) have made me forget the 450X.

The 450X is also heaver than the WR450, its a first year bike vs. the refined WR and it costs more. Also, my son's 05 CRF230F quality does not impress me over my and my daughter's 05 Yam; definitely don't think Honda deserves the price premium they get.

So, I'm over the 450X and focusing on another WR450 or KTM525 exc. But the more I read, the WR450 seems to be the most maintenance free and since I'm not a mechanic and the KTM dealer is an hour away a new WR450 is currently at the top of my list.

Elton

• jwriott

Posted January 22, 2005 - 09:06 AM

The 450X is also heaver than the WR450, its a first year bike vs. the refined WR and it costs more.

While the 450X is claimed to be heavier than the WR450, I highly doubt that it is. Put your bike on the scale and you'll wonder what Yamaha is smoking and drinking when coming up with their dry weights. They are WAY off from what they claim. On top of that, the WR's carry their weight up very high which makes them feel even heavier.

The 450X should be a sweet ride. Having ridden an 04' WR250F and my dad's 04' CRF250X back to back, the Honda has much better suspension and handling while the Yamaha had a better engine and we know it's more reliable.

I don't think any of the new 450 off road bikes warrant getting rid of a current WR450 or 450 EXC. Once they drop 20 lbs. and offer them without e-start it will be time to buy.

• elton

Posted January 22, 2005 - 10:44 AM

While the 450X is claimed to be heavier than the WR450, I highly doubt that it is. Put your bike on the scale and you'll wonder what Yamaha is smoking

All I know is what I read in the published specs. :cry:

Are you implying that since the WR450 is lighter than the 450X (and the KTM450 exc), given the published specs.; that Yamaha is FOS, while the other are telling the absolute truth?

The WR sure feels light to me and is very stable, IMO perfectly balanced; it gets better at high speeds on rough terrain. Granted, the WR is my first bike since the 70's when I rode heavy Kawasaki enduros and light MX bikes :cry:

However, I've read that "lighter feeling" 250X has "disturbing frame flex providing non-confidence when pounding high-speed whoops or choppy terrain"; similar comments on the "lighter feeling" KTM's. Given my riding style, high speed stability is important.

Many say the WR is top-heavy, but with the power of my "05 WZ450", if the front-end was any lighter, I could not keep two wheels on the ground -- its wants to be a unicycle when I open the throttle, even in 2nd and 3rd. :cry:

Elton

• jwriott

Posted January 22, 2005 - 12:04 PM

All I know is what I read in the published specs. :cry:

Are you implying that since the WR450 is lighter than the 450X (and the KTM450 exc), given the published specs.; that Yamaha is FOS, while the other are telling the absolute truth?

The WR sure feels light to me and is very stable, IMO perfectly balanced; it gets better at high speeds on rough terrain. Granted, the WR is my first bike since the 70's when I rode heavy Kawasaki enduros and light MX bikes :cry:

However, I've read that "lighter feeling" 250X has "disturbing frame flex providing non-confidence when pounding high-speed whoops or choppy terrain"; similar comments on the "lighter feeling" KTM's. Given my riding style, high speed stability is important.

Many say the WR is top-heavy, but with the power of my "05 WZ450", if the front-end was any lighter, I could not keep two wheels on the ground -- its wants to be a unicycle when I open the throttle, even in 2nd and 3rd. :cry:

Elton

If that's the case, you need to do a bit of reading. Magazines, TT members, etc. have all noted that the WR450 is quite a bit heavier than Yamaha's specs so yes I'm saying Yamaha is full of $hit when it comes to their claimed weight. The KTM's weights come very close to published as did the CRF250X.

I've got time on these bikes and haven't experienced any of your so called frame flex so who knows. I also had 2 1/2 years on my WR426 and trust me, it's top heavy compared to the KTM 4-strokes.

All the new 450's have plenty of steam to pull wheelies like you describe. Having a lighter bike with a low center of gravity helps handling and doesn't tire you out as quickly.

• mcdrz

Posted January 22, 2005 - 12:52 PM

In my opinion you have several very good choices at this point. Each bike has several +/- also.

The KTM's are a little different handling, but they are good power plants and look new for a long time. They also broke their teeth off road and I think it shows in the bikes and the way they perform off road. Suspension is still the weaker link in comparison, but can be made pretty good.

The Husky is a old/new comer to the block. The TE450's appear to be a mid road bike between the Jap/Euro ergos and are very well built with good parts. Unique look and suspension components that seem to work pretty good, but jury seems to still be out on reliablity and dealer network.

Yamaha WR, still working at it and are getting closer all the time and appear to have made a leap forward in 05. Looks like they took the handling complaints head on and tried to make it better, but sacrificed a higher capacity tank in the process. Still the barometer of the Ti valved bikes with reliability.

Honda CRF450X is the new kid. Initial reports indicate the service intervals should be similar to the 250X which scares me, but nobody really knows at this point. Probably the most advanced frame and suspension components, but suspect reliability will be its achilles heel.

The way I look at it is if you go in educated and make the choice for you, I don't think you can go that wrong. Be wise enough to know what your getting into and confront the weaknesses as part of the purchase price and then go for it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.