04 WR 450 Last of the strong running Yama"s

20 replies to this topic
  • Treebanger

Posted January 21, 2005 - 09:20 AM

Just wondering I'm I the only one who thinks the 04 engine chractericstics and gearing was almost perfect??? I like the 05 , but I'm almost postive the 04 had a better hit , started easily and ran smooth. I read all the posts about hard starting green stickered bikes . "IS THIS OUR FUTURE" bikes so lean you need to spend $100 bucks to get the poneis out of them. I guess the bikes we'll buy in the future that are setup right are going to the closed circuit bikes. YZ RMZ bah bah you get my point . If your going to built a offroad bike , why make it a second class citizen a six thousand dollar bike should run right .

• Raistlin

Posted January 21, 2005 - 09:59 AM

Yes this is very unfortunate. Have to thank California for all this smog crap on an off road bike!! The future looks pretty bleek to me. It is all these darn environmentalist (the few) running around ruining it for the rest of us (the many). :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 21, 2005 - 09:59 AM

Just wondering I'm I the only one who thinks the 04 engine chractericstics and gearing was almost perfect??? I like the 05 , but I'm almost postive the 04 had a better hit , started easily and ran smooth. I read all the posts about hard starting green stickered bikes . "IS THIS OUR FUTURE" bikes so lean you need to spend $100 bucks to get the poneis out of them. I guess the bikes we'll buy in the future that are setup right are going to the closed circuit bikes. YZ RMZ bah bah you get my point . If your going to built a offroad bike , why make it a second class citizen a six thousand dollar bike should run right .

The 02 WR426 was the last WR that had "hit", My 05 runs perfect, 4th and 5th gear long wheelies all the time, all day long.... I dunno what you're talking about.... My closest friend has a brand new 04, sorry... It's not faster and doesn't have a bigger hit than my 05.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that you're happy with your 04, doesn't mean the 05 is a pile...

Now flame away all 04 owners, starting with Indy and the rest... :cry:

04 blah blah blah..... My bike's better than yours....

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 21, 2005 - 10:06 AM

I dont need to flame you! :cry: You just dont like people having different opinions and the correct facts! :cry: You can continue down your path of getting flamed without my help! :cry:
I finally got to use the tounge smiley! :cry:

• stonewall

Posted January 21, 2005 - 10:14 AM

My 05 runs perfect too and handles better than your 04. Other than a non adjustable needle the stock jetting is the same as an 04. You won't find many people here that haven't spent the time to rejet the 03/04 WR. I did away with the AIS in less time than it took you to replace your junky steel handlebars too. Oh yeah, I also got bigger forks, not sure I needed them but I got 'em. I don't like the small tank but that's a problem I would have had to fix on the 04 as well. Other than IMPROVEMENTS there ain't much difference between the two. Now quit yer bitchin and go ride. The world might be coming to an end but it's not because the 05 WR is lean.

• unkle_george

Posted January 21, 2005 - 10:23 AM

The 02 WR426 was the last WR that had "hit".

Dead start to 5th gear .. my '02 426 will walk all over any '04-05 450.
If I could only move the suspension and e-start to the old bike...

• unkle_george

Posted January 21, 2005 - 10:26 AM

junky steel handlebars

I don't get it... That's one of the things Mags always rate bikes on. The handlebars.
I don't care... The stockers are the first thing to go. I'd rather they came barless and knocked $20 off the sticker.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 21, 2005 - 12:25 PM

Indy, not only are you bias to Yamahas but the year too... :cry: You're not foolin me. I look at things how they are, not how I want them to be... Still waiting for the flames.

• Treebanger

Posted January 21, 2005 - 12:29 PM

My point is, that first it was the KTM with the green stickered bike now Yama and you can wave the flag for the 05 model all you want I contend that the freedom to build a good running bike is a thing of the Past . The EPA determines what Rules will be applied to building a off road bike . I have owned the 04 and the 05 model And the 05 does take more effort to correct and Jet cleanly I'm not beating or flaming either bike its the nature of the times we live in. Just so you know I have owned both 05-04 models and two 03 WRs , one 01 KTM exc 450

• GixxerBitch

Posted January 21, 2005 - 12:56 PM

Well, I might as well put the 'cat amongst the pigeons' too.

I have a 2k WR 400, the lad I had it off bought an 04 450. OK, he's happy with it but now wants to buy mine back because, wait for it.........mine absolutely annihilates his. I must admit, mine is quick, in fact it scares the shit outa me and I'm used to riding fast road bikes with plenty of 'knee down' action!

Maybe he has a bad one and mines good, who knows. It maybe battered and bruised.....but man it kicks ass and wakes the neighbours up on a Sunday morning!

Still waiting for the law to pull me for a dirty dodgey number plate :cry:

X

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Grandville

Posted January 21, 2005 - 01:08 PM

I'm glad everyone is so happy with the performance of their 03, 04 & 05 WR-450's. They should be, once debugged and modified they are the most reliable, high performance bikes ever made for the money. Yamaha's patented
5-valve head is going to keep the competion playing catch-up for a long time. Honda is comming on strong, but they can't seem to match the performance with the reliability. The Honda's seem to have valve issues.

It seems to me, for the 05, 450's the engineers were more concerned with weight and handling than increasing engine performance. The 05's gives us larger forks (46mm to 48mm) and a lower seat height 1.2". Thank you, but they take away that which has brought us here in the first place...POWER. Yes, the 05 lost power and compression out of the engine when they redesign the head in an effort to "smooth-out power" in the 05 models. To add insult to injury, they also made the bike more difficult to uncork (IE. air cover screw and CA emissions crap) and a smaller tank. Why, did they forget who their customer base is? Do they want to start marketing them to EPA?

Before all you 05 owners get your short hairs in a knot again, we all still need to modify these bikes for our own unique riding desires. In the end the 05's just have a head start in some areas and the 03's and 04" have a head start in other areas.

• Treebanger

Posted January 21, 2005 - 01:19 PM

Very insightful friend ,you said it much better then I could. I wouldn't trade any of the Yama's I have owned for any other bike. Five valve Patented head , best money can buy.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted January 21, 2005 - 01:31 PM

My 99 wr was stronger after 5 years of time than a friends uncorked 04 450. The new 450. don't seem to be head and shoulders above any other bike. Personally the heavy weight of these bikes just got to be too much for me. I went to a 300 exc, I will finally get to ride it tomorrow. I am not expecting it to be more powerfull than the 400/426/450, but from what I have seen it is way quicker. And that is what counts. If i had bought a 450 to replace my 400, solely on the basis of wanting more power, I would have been pissed. The lighter weight, new technology, e start etc etc would have been nice but not nice enough to have invested $7000. If I go back to a thumper it will be a 510 Husky, or a 525 exc.

• dirtr1der

Posted January 21, 2005 - 01:33 PM

Dead start to 5th gear .. my '02 426 will walk all over any '04-05 450.
If I could only move the suspension and e-start to the old bike...

My '02 WR rocks! I can only compare it to my old '96XR, and my friend's '03 XR, but it flat out rips. Fat jets and an uncorked, yet spark-arrested GYTR exhaust and the thing hits like a 250 2 stroke after 1st gear. Problem is, I can't keep the back end from dancin' when I roll the power on. Its a good feeling, but I haven't got the suspension and tire pressure quite dialed in yet. Thank God spring is only a few months away!

:cry:

• Grandville

Posted January 21, 2005 - 01:53 PM

My 99 wr was stronger after 5 years of time than a friends uncorked 04 450. The new 450. don't seem to be head and shoulders above any other bike. Personally the heavy weight of these bikes just got to be too much for me. I went to a 300 exc, I will finally get to ride it tomorrow. I am not expecting it to be more powerfull than the 400/426/450, but from what I have seen it is way quicker. And that is what counts. If i had bought a 450 to replace my 400, solely on the basis of wanting more power, I would have been pissed. The lighter weight, new technology, e start etc etc would have been nice but not nice enough to have invested $7000. If I go back to a thumper it will be a 510 Husky, or a 525 exc.

If you think a 99wr 400 is stronger than an 04 450 than either there is a problem with the 04 450 or you have started the weekend way too early.

If you get another 4-stroke and it is a Husky 510 or a KTM 525 you will pay a lot more than $7000 after mods. You will still have weight issues to deal with and perhaps a few other issues as well.

The KTM 300EX very nice choice. My friends wants to get one too. Perhaps 2-smokes are not dead yet.

• Treebanger

Posted January 21, 2005 - 02:11 PM

300 Gas Gas would have been my next choice after the WR 450. When I think of the a 2stk I just can't get past having to kick the darn thing. The last bike I kicked was a 390 Husky, if you don't count the 1978 Honda Z 50 Pit bike . Which I might add gets as much track time running around in a circle in the shop. as the big bikes, Little hard on the knuckles all the benches are at just the right height to whack the crap out your hands.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted January 21, 2005 - 02:53 PM

If you think a 99wr 400 is stronger than an 04 450 than either there is a problem with the 04 450 or you have started the weekend way too early.

Just one mans opinion, mind you but I have heard of others coming off 99's onto the newer bikes make the same comments. The 99 seemed to have more grunt while the 450 ran better in the higher rpm, but the difference over all was miniscule to me. I take it you too have ridden both back to back?

• cruise

Posted January 21, 2005 - 04:08 PM

I've ridden a 200 wr400,99yz400,and a 2002 yz 426. I think my 450 has way more power :cry:

• Domenic_WRF

Posted January 21, 2005 - 05:41 PM

My 99 YZ timed WR4** is snappier than the 05 450, but the 450 has a lot more torque. Two gears higher under similar conditions, but its not yz timed yet..may never be :cry: I like the power band more each time i ride it.. :cry:

• atlas

Posted January 21, 2005 - 10:46 PM

I salute to you stonewall. The 05 is better than the 04 if you ask me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.