Cold Starts & Backfires!

18 replies to this topic
  • DesertWR

Posted January 20, 2005 - 08:16 PM

I love this '05 but it is a bit&&h to start cold and it backfires like no tommorrow. What can I do to resolve these problems. Also note that the fork seals go out pretty quick on these things. Not sure if anything can be done about it but my bike only has 155 miles and the left fork is leaking already. Any suggestions? I have the White Bros E2 pipe and I know they cut the greywire and rejetted the carb, just not sure how they rejetted. 1 more thing; I keep reading about the Lowedog A.I.S. kit. How do you get this? Thanks for the help :cry:

• jasilva

Posted January 20, 2005 - 09:02 PM

PM Lowedog for the AIS blockoff kit. Or do it yourself if you don't want to wait. All you need is a couple of vacuum caps for the rubber line fittings and a 1/8" pipe plug for the steel injection line. This will cure the backfire problem.

Joe

• jasilva

Posted January 20, 2005 - 09:04 PM

Also put in a 48 pilot jet and a 72 starter jet to help with the cold starting. Mine seems to start easier if I kick it when its cold.(below 50 degrees) Check your main also you should have a 170 unless your at high altitude. Your needle should be the adjustable type from the 04 and earlier.(05 needle only has one clip position) Try the 4 position down from the top.

Joe

• new2blu

Posted January 21, 2005 - 11:00 AM

Your fork seals probably just have some debris in them. Go to the "technical section" look under suspension---you will find how to fix leaky fork seals there.

• bottomfeeder2

Posted January 21, 2005 - 11:38 AM

Try adjusting your idle. That made a huge difference in starting mine.

• 450high

Posted January 22, 2005 - 02:44 AM

72 starter jet ( choke circuit ) and turn up the idle even if just for cold sarting then turn it back

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 22, 2005 - 07:48 AM

What jetting do you have in your bike now?.. Mine runs perfect...

Dan

• DesertWR

Posted January 22, 2005 - 08:27 AM

To be honest, I'm not sure. They rejetted the carb when I bought the bike and put the E2 pipe on it. Not quite skilled enough yet to know all the settings, thats why I'm here. I am going to get the JD kit and rejet. Have you disconnected your AIS?

• WRookie

Posted January 22, 2005 - 10:34 AM

Your fork seals probably just have some debris in them. Go to the "technical section" look under suspension---you will find how to fix leaky fork seals there.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Before you start rejetting try turning out the fuel screw. If you go out 3 turns from seated and it still backfires then go bigger on the pilot jet. Dont worry about the main or needle position yet. They don't come into play on starting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DesertWR

Posted January 22, 2005 - 02:50 PM

I thought the fuel screw is plugged off :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 22, 2005 - 03:39 PM

You can unplug it and install an adjustable fuel screw. :cry:

• WRookie

Posted January 22, 2005 - 07:08 PM

I have seen in another thread that the screw is still there. It would have to be there to be "factory set". All you need to do is pull the bowl off the carb and remove the plug. Might take a punch, might take a drill, I don't know, I went for the YZ.

• stonewall

Posted January 22, 2005 - 07:34 PM

The screw is there. You don't have to pull the bowl.The plug has a hole in it and all you have to do is find something small enough to fit in the hole and pry the plug out. It pops right out with very little effort.

• Scottwr450

Posted January 24, 2005 - 06:08 AM

Got the 05 wr450 change the Idle stop screw Cut the Grey wire put E2 pipe on and its backfireing and the pipe is red hot all the way the kick starter. White Bros. said its a air jet setting problem. Does any one the turns on the air jet for the stock setting and which way to turn the screw for rich & lean NEED HELP THANKS SCOTT WR450

• Texas4play

Posted January 24, 2005 - 06:28 AM

Got the 05 wr450 change the Idle stop screw Cut the Grey wire put E2 pipe on and its backfireing and the pipe is red hot all the way the kick starter. White Bros. said its a air jet setting problem. Does any one the turns on the air jet for the stock setting and which way to turn the screw for rich & lean NEED HELP THANKS SCOTT WR450

Have you rejet the carb? Your carb sounds lean.

• DesertWR

Posted January 24, 2005 - 02:30 PM

I have the E2 and my pipe gets red hot back the kick starter also. I'm not sure if that is normal but I won't idle my bike for very long. Some have told me that the red hot is normal :cry:

• Scottwr450

Posted January 24, 2005 - 05:32 PM

No I thought you can adjust the air jet to riching it up.
come back tex.

• WRookie

Posted January 24, 2005 - 06:19 PM

Turn the pilot screw out for more fuel, in for less.

You can adjust the air jet by replacing it with a different size. Replacing the pilot jet is easier.

The pipe on my YZ only glows up to the apex of the first curve and I'm still lean on the bottom. cackle-cackle-bam.

• Scottwr450

Posted January 27, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Thanks It worked tex
Scottwr450 see ya In the desert #0349

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.