Are mods independant of eachother?

4 replies to this topic
  • snmhanson

Posted January 20, 2005 - 05:00 PM

I am going to start doing the mods on my 05' WR450. To start with I am going to do the JD kit and the starter (72) and pilot (48) jet, and I'll possibly do the throttle screw and Zip-Ty fuel screw. My question is are all of these mods independant from eachother or will doing some of the mods require doing another one or adjusting something else? I'm thinking of holding off for a couple of rides on the throttle screw, can I rejet it as recommended on this site before doing that or do the two go hand-in-hand? Besides the JD kit, starter and pilot are there any other jets I need to deal with (ie pilot air jet or leak jet)? For the starter and pilot jet do I just get Yamaha jets or are there other jets you guys recommend? Can putting the wrong jet(s) in lead to damaging your bike or will it just make it run bad? Please excuse my ignorance here, I just want to make sure I do it right. Finally, is there a good guide to get to help a newbie understand jetting better? Sorry for so many questions and thanks for any help here.

Matt

• Jethrro

Posted January 20, 2005 - 05:44 PM

You can do all the freemods independently from each other but in the end you might be doing more work than really needed. The throttle stop won't really affect anything with the exception of being able to get wide open throttle. I did all the "free mods" at once, throttle stop, air box snorkle and side cutout, and exhaust plug. Then rejetted. After a while I went to the JD jet kit with the zip ty fuel screw. If it were up to me to do again I would do the JD jet kit when I did the free mods. I never changed the pilot and starter jet. You might find that the instructions with the JD jet kit will get you really close and you might need to change a jet up or down to get everything perfect. The jetting forum works well for this. Good luck Jethrro

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted January 20, 2005 - 07:58 PM

Just do all the mods at once while you got the carb off of the bike.
Get a 40 leak jet and put it in next time you rejet for the season.
You will not hurt the bike running rich but you may get fouled plugs and cutting out. If you run real lean you can damage the engine but it will run very weak and backfire a lot and drive you crazy before it hurts the engine.
You have a good starting point for your jets so just go ahead and do it all at once with no fear. :cry:

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted January 20, 2005 - 08:18 PM

Just do all the mods at once while you got the carb off of the bike.
Get a 40 leak jet and put it in next time you rejet for the season.
You will not hurt the bike running rich but you may get fouled plugs and cutting out. If you run real lean you can damage the engine but it will run very weak and backfire a lot and drive you crazy before it hurts the engine.
You have a good starting point for your jets so just go ahead and do it all at once with no fear. :cry:

Good advice, a little rich is always better than running lean.....

• Hamish

Posted January 21, 2005 - 02:48 AM

When playing with engines, it's always a good idea to change one thing at a time.
Say you fit the JD kit, change the pilot jet and starter jets and it doesnt run right where do you start? If you change one thing at a time and you suddenly have a problem, you know whwre to look.

Unless you know someone who lives nearby who has fitted a JD kit to the same bike as your with the same mods and pipe, it probably wont be perfect 1st attempt. It took me 8 needle adjustments to get my JD kit dialed in! It wouldnt even run properly for the first 4 adjustments. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.