Question about the motor

6 replies to this topic
  • Alex19

Posted January 20, 2005 - 04:38 PM

What is the difference between the yzf 426 and the wr because i want to make a wr street legal but if the motor is weaker than my buddies yzf 426 then i dont want to do it, any input? :cry:

• Gadsen

Posted January 20, 2005 - 06:29 PM

What is the difference between the yzf 426 and the wr because i want to make a wr street legal but if the motor is weaker than my buddies yzf 426 then i dont want to do it, any input? :cry:

I doubt there is any difference except the gears, gearing, amount of gears (4 vs 5) exhaust cam and other external items like throttle stops, lighting coils and so on. But as for engine, I doubt there is any other difference that the items i mentioned.

• simica

Posted January 20, 2005 - 07:23 PM

There is a difference in the motor. The YZ has a different cam that provides a harder hit than the WR which is great for mx, but also has a tendency to stall if your not always on the rpm's. A flywheel weight may improve this, but I think the best bet is the WR. If your going to make it dual sport the last thing you want to do is to stall in the middle of a busy intersection. The WR is plenty strong enough and the '04 and '05 is electric start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_from_Oz

Posted January 20, 2005 - 08:16 PM

Gearing obviously is different, cam timing (you can YZ time your existing cam), jetting, muffler is different, so if you want YZ performance get a YZ (or aftermarket) muffler. ACV (air cut valve) on the WRF carb', not too much else I can think of, although i've prob'ly forgot something? You will never get the exact power delivery of a YZ426 out of your WR426, because of the close ratio (they are an MXer) gearbox, but I think you'll be happy with YZ timing, YZ muffler, and rejet to suit. I've ridden both, and I prefer my YZF modded WR426..... :cry:

• Hamish

Posted January 21, 2005 - 02:38 AM

ok..
remeber guys, the yz426 was a 5 speed too.
Engine internals are identical except gear ratios. Exhaust cam timing is different, easy to change. As mentioned before carby/exhaust lighting coil etc.
I ride my 426 on the street. It's yz timed, stock flywheel, yz pipe etc

• Bamster

Posted January 21, 2005 - 04:35 AM

Go with the WR ,you won't be disapointed after all the free mods are done.
It's easier to make your a WR more YZish than to make a YZ more WRish.

• Alex19

Posted January 21, 2005 - 12:11 PM

thanks for the posts guys, much appreciated.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.