Top End Work $$$

5 replies to this topic
  • MichiganMXer

Posted January 20, 2005 - 09:48 AM

I'm going to have a guy put a fresh top end on my 01, this is the first time I've ever cracked the top. Could anyone give me a figure as to what they've paid for similar work done and a heads up for any suprises.

Just got my estimate w/ parts and labor at around $500 bucks. What do ya think.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2005 - 10:27 AM

The valves and springs for my 250F cost me $480+, just for the parts. It sounds like they are not planning to replace your valves. It would be a suprise if they decided it needed it after they opened it up. Figure an extra $120-175 labor for head work if it goes that way.

Another surprise would be to lay out all that cash and then have to pull it apart for valve work 3 months later.

No matter what, plan to put valve springs and a timing chain in it. $60 worth of cheap insurance. :cry:

• rljjredhed

Posted January 20, 2005 - 12:54 PM

sounds right my 03 cost $700 but $200 was having the cylinder done

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jimmyg

Posted January 20, 2005 - 08:45 PM

where are you at in mi

• MX2Havasu

Posted January 20, 2005 - 09:48 PM

I just finished putting a complete top end. All new cylinder, piston, head, valves and springs. I went with the steel valves to save some $. I paid around $1300 from the local Yamaha dealer. All parts were OEM.

• ThrakenH04

Posted January 20, 2005 - 11:48 PM

The more and more I realise how easy 2-strokes are, the more I see how easy 4-strokes are. To explain: Think of it like this, a four-stroke, is like a two without the valves and 2 extra strokes. But, if you didn't look at from that point of view and only looked at the aspect of engine design, you start to realise that the cylinder is like a two-strokes. Its not hard to rebuild a 4-stroke engine, but non-the less, it is harder then a 2-stroke. Lets break it down: 2-stroke= cylinder, exhaust valve(most bikes), reed valve. 4-stroke= cylinder, valves. For a typical top-end on a two stroke is anywhere from 120-700. For a typical top-end on a four-stroke without the valves is, what, around 400? It doesnt seem that much harder to do the valves or top-end on a four-stroke. Anyone beg a differ or some more insight?

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.