Opinins on 2003 Yz450f

10 replies to this topic
  • timvan

Posted January 20, 2005 - 09:36 AM

Just curious on the good, the bad and the ugly....

local dealer has one here...think he has a sticker of $4400.00 on it...I wouldnt pay that but so be it..

What do I need to know on this bike before looking...any info greatly appriciated!!

TIA
Tim

• MichiganMXer

Posted January 20, 2005 - 09:49 AM

Its a beast. Hold on.

• timvan

Posted January 20, 2005 - 10:17 AM

Well nevermind...they sold it...

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2005 - 10:20 AM

Great bike. No real mechanical faults except for the unfortunate tendency to eject the cheesy little plug the blocks off the bore where the decomp shaft used to go, but that's true of every YZF from '03 up, and it's easy to correct.

Almost everyone thinks the bike is a little too aggressive as delivered. The most common thing done about it is the addition of a heavier flywheel. In fact the flywheel delivered on all '04 models is 5oz heavier than the '03 came with. If you use a weld-on design, like the GYT-R or Dr.D flywheels 4-6oz will usually do it.

The only other thing is that the '03 clutch tended to pull heavy and chatter a bit. That too, can be fixed fairly easily and cheaply.

The '04 got larger fork tubes, but the forks on the '03 can be set up to work well. The '04 also had Ti footpegs.

• DPW

Posted January 20, 2005 - 02:23 PM

Its a beast. Hold on.

disagree....over 30 Novice\Beginner no problems here holding on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigDesto

Posted January 20, 2005 - 02:53 PM

disagree....over 30 Novice\Beginner no problems here holding on.

????????????? the 03 has the hardest hitting power out of any YZ450 made!

• OHVrider

Posted January 20, 2005 - 03:06 PM

I like mine, but it does have a couple problems:

1. Too light of flywheel (easy fix, buy a heavier one)
2. The TPS squirts too much fuel and the BK mod is harder on the 03's (I'm still playing with this)
3. 4-speed gear box is not as versital, but not as bad as the other guys make it out to be.

The good points are:

1. Carries more oil than Honda, or KTM
2. More stable than Suzuki, KTM, not sure on Honda close i think
3. My cousin' s husband put 200,000 miles on a 1998/9 WR400 that he bought in NV cause CA didn't have them yet. he dual sported it and rode it from Truckee where he lives to everywhere for 4-5 years. (Just regular maintaince and parts, nothing major)
4 YZ's come with a warrenty although short. Good luch with anyone else.

That said I think all the 2000 and newer bikes are pretty good, Each has flaws, find em and fix em and you'll be happy. I look more at ergo's now than anything else. Which bike fits me best.

Cheers,

• viperman

Posted January 20, 2005 - 03:36 PM

Awesome bike..............Mine is insane.............

• PimpdYZ

Posted January 21, 2005 - 06:34 AM

Great bike... very fast!

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2005 - 09:47 AM

I like mine, but it does have a couple problems:

1. Too light of flywheel (easy fix, buy a heavier one)

True

2. The TPS squirts too much fuel and the BK mod is harder on the 03's (I'm still playing with this)

The TPS has nothing to do with squirting fuel, the accelerator pump does that. Maybe that's what you meant. The TPS is said to cause a "hit" at around 8000 rpm, but this turns out to be a soft spot in the power curve that feels like a hit when the engine recovers, and can be solved better with the right exhaust system.

3. 4-speed gear box is not as versital, but not as bad as the other guys make it out to be.

The 4 speed covers nearly the same gearing range as the '02 YZ426 5 speed, and IMO, the gear spacing is still closer than it needs to be. I have mine geared so that 1st is identical to the 426, and that puts my 4th about 65% of the way up the gap between the 426's 4th and 5th. It WILL go 89 mph on pavement like that. I don't see how having to do less shifting is less versatile, unless you're going to compare it to a WR...

The good points are:

1. Carries more oil than Honda, or KTM
2. More stable than Suzuki, KTM, not sure on Honda close i think

Yes to both, and add to that that the YZF is a dry sump, which is technically superior from several standpoints, and I AM sure it's more stable than a CRF.

3. My cousin' s husband put 200,000 miles on a 1998/9 WR400 that he bought in NV cause CA didn't have them yet. he dual sported it and rode it from Truckee where he lives to everywhere for 4-5 years. (Just regular maintaince and parts, nothing major)
4 YZ's come with a warrenty although short. Good luch with anyone else.

They are indeed tough. Especially the older ones with SS valves.
:cry:

• x2stroker

Posted January 21, 2005 - 01:28 PM

I love my 03 450 :cry: . It has more power than I'll ever need on any MX track...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.