Gray Wire Problems?

8 replies to this topic
  • BadlandZ

Posted January 20, 2005 - 01:05 AM

So, I have done everything except the gray wire mod. I’m still a bit worried.

If I advance the ignition timing, as I hear the gray wire mod does, I worry about:

A) Valves. I hear the WR450F (mine is a 2004) is really high maintenance as far as checking the valves. If I advance the ignition, won’t that mean that it’s firing a hair sooner, and if the valves are a bit off, damage is going to happen that much easier? Isn’t that one of the reasons for an enduro they backed this off? I realize it’s not the same as changing to a YZ cam, but still?

:cry: Will this be harder on other components as well, like plugs and oil? From a general standpoint, doesn’t potentially mean shorter lifetime on things like plugs and oil? I ride my bike, not race it. There is a very very low oil capacity, and changing plugs and oil is already a very frequent event. There is almost no oil capacity (what is it, 1.1 quarts?).

Seriously, I have my bike dual-sported, and commute to work on it. I can already hear “well, if you maintain it properly, it’s not a problem” as an answer. But, as a potential “daily rider” I am worried that may even mildly make it higher maintenance is not a good thing.

Is any of my paranoia (or anything I’m not mentioning) even remotely true?

• cruise

Posted January 20, 2005 - 02:33 AM

I think you are a bit parranoid the grey wire dosent change the timming.

• thumper_dad

Posted January 20, 2005 - 05:37 AM

Ummm.... your wrong dude, the grey wire mod changes the WR "mapping" to YZ specs by advancing the ignition timing

• mousemeat

Posted January 20, 2005 - 05:42 AM

ignition timing but not valve timing...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted January 20, 2005 - 06:05 AM

......and the WR is about the LEAST maintenance needy 450 out there. The Yamaha valve trains are VERY stable. Dont sweat it man, nothing horrible should happen.

• lewichris

Posted January 20, 2005 - 10:41 AM

Ummm.... your wrong dude, the grey wire mod changes the WR "mapping" to YZ specs by advancing the ignition timing

Um your wrong dude, This did nothing noticeable on my bike.

• Eliems

Posted January 20, 2005 - 10:57 AM

Our Canadian bikes don't have the grey wire at all ... can't be too important to operations.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted January 20, 2005 - 02:46 PM

Then you dont know your bike.
I have 2 bikes done both, last week I rode the new 04 and it had the same bad surging at constant throttle openings.
It took the 1/4 to 1/2 quarter throttle stumble/surging away that is noticable when cruising at constant throttle openings.
Some have claimed it made their bike suddenly rip, now that would be stretching it in a big way, but it does change the ride enough to make a positive improvement

• YamahaSteve

Posted January 20, 2005 - 08:04 PM

Um your wrong dude, This did nothing noticeable on my bike.

It might have done nothing that you noticed... I noticed a good improvement in the upper RPM range with the grey wire mod... nothing astronomical, but an improvement. There are plenty of threads dedicated to this and many people think it helps... and there are some timing charts out there as well...

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.