baja lights failing

11 replies to this topic
  • Yamadirt 426

Posted January 20, 2005 - 12:32 AM

I got a 01wr426 baja kit and plated. The dealer told me he heard the kits work fine than after a while the lights dim ,then quit. Well this happened after a couple days now no more night riding. They charge a little while not on but when I need em they last 1/2 hour mabye. Might be old news for someone but I need help please. thanks in advance

• Master Wong

Posted January 20, 2005 - 07:38 AM

does the light kit have a battery on it? if not what is charging when lights are not on

• thumper_dad

Posted January 20, 2005 - 07:59 AM

I don't know what kind of lighting kit you have, you mentioned Baja lights, are they Baja designs? IO know with high powered lighting like the Baja designs The motorcycle must have a minimum of 100 - 150 watts of power to successfully run a single (100 watts) or a dual HID lighting setup (150 watts). In tight terrain (low RPM riding) the bike may not have enough power, the stator could need to be rewound if possible or there could be other reasons, Do you use an external or internal lighting coil to power your lights? would recommend calling Baja designs and asking a couple questions
http://www.bajadesigns.com/

Good Luck

• Yamadirt 426

Posted January 20, 2005 - 08:55 AM

yes it's the baja designs kit and the battery pack it uses is a ten pack of rechargable double AA's.

• jdd123

Posted January 20, 2005 - 11:01 AM

On my old WR they put the lights after the regulator. The regulator cannot provide the current to the stock headlight, so the battery discharges. A 35 watt lightbulb came with the kit that was half the wattage of the stock. If the person left the stock light in like I did, then you have half an hour before the battery drains out and the CDI quits.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 20, 2005 - 12:54 PM

On my old WR they put the lights after the regulator. The regulator cannot provide the current to the stock headlight, so the battery discharges. A 35 watt lightbulb came with the kit that was half the wattage of the stock. If the person left the stock light in like I did, then you have half an hour before the battery drains out and the CDI quits.

Another great report on Baja Designs electrical engineering talents! :cry: :cry: :cry:
I have heard of so many frustrated customers from their kits it is amazing they have any repeat business. Most people have not been able to get support from them. Good luck but you may end up replacing the Baja components with a real system! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vick115

Posted January 20, 2005 - 01:47 PM

I have a Baja designs kit and I just leave the headlight off and everything works fine. If I ride with the headlight on at night, i just plug her into a charger when Im done and ive never really had a problem with this.
They have told me that they do have a fix, You send them the stator and they connect the two outputs together and sell you a new regulator and its produces 100 watts of power. The other fix would be to run the headlight off the AC circuit by going around the Baja Designs kit. The danger with this option is blowing bulbs.

• timcook

Posted January 20, 2005 - 05:26 PM

You mentioned AA batteries. I would look closely at them. First, if they are Nicad then the need to go. I use nothing but rechargable batteries for everything and the only batteries I'll own are Nickle MH. The bike may be producing the power, but the batteries could have a nasty memory in them and die quickly.
Good luck with BD. I have my share of problems with them. You may have better luck then I did!

• fershy

Posted January 20, 2005 - 07:07 PM

I concur. Ditch that nicad shrink wrap battery pack and install yourself a Powersonic ps1208.
fershy

• Yamadirt 426

Posted January 21, 2005 - 12:00 AM

thanks for everyones info so far . I'm waiting to hear back for BD right now. I'll post any luck I have

• Yamadirt 426

Posted January 23, 2005 - 04:51 PM

talk to baja designs guy. told me to check yellow wire under seat, check thumb controls switch (take off and look underneth for any exposed ground plate which there was, so I was told to cover it , which I did) and check volts for 12.5-13.5 volts at the battery. well volts were fine and I went for a short ride.Everything works great. Could I be this lucky? Olny a night ride will tell. let U know

• jdd123

Posted January 25, 2005 - 09:19 AM

That's what Baja told me (i.e. the lights blowing on the AC circuit). However, stock from the factory, the lights all run directly on AC off the stator. That means that the pure stock bikes would be blowing headlights also. Maybe they had a wierd test bike. Runing the headlights of the dc seems better but as I said, the stock regulator cannot provide the the current for the stock bulb. Plus, if you connect your kill switch (I didn't) to their universal switch, your kill switch is shorted when you cut your lights. Thus, you cannot run the bike without the lights on.

I had very good success with their expensive kit. Just needed to use the lower wattage bulb and not use their kill switch so I could turn off the lights. It was an easy to install kit and I would recommend it to anyone who does not know electricity.

On my new WR, I am going to install my own design (leaving the lights on the AC) using their universal switch. That way I can keep the bright headlight and have a switch to kill the lights. Also, my state does not require turn signals, lighted liscense plate, etc., so it is a waste for me to get a complete kit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.