15/50 is too low but climbs hills well.

would 15/48 or 49 work better?

I race the California desert

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2005 - 03:21 PM

I run 15/49, it works OK.

• 9-d-9

Posted January 20, 2005 - 03:17 AM

I have a 04 yz450 that I ride every weekend in the nevada desert. Stock gearing 14/48 was too short for the desert. So I went with 15/45, which I found out was a chore to ride when it came to the slow speed sections. Now, I have a 14/45 and I'm likin it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tkorkow

Posted January 20, 2005 - 12:25 PM

Great question! I just bought an '03 450F and I love it but it seems to be geared a little low for the trails here in Vegas, (Nelson & Jean for all the locals!). I was thinking of dropping a couple teeth in the rear sprocket but I'm a little hesitant b/cse I hit the MX track in Mesquite once in a while.

• slappie

Posted January 20, 2005 - 12:45 PM

I've got the stock gearing but added an 8oz ZipTy flywheel weight on my 04.

I don't really have any problems with any of the trails around here in Texas (Muenster, Gilmer, etc. for the locals). None that are the bike's anyway :cry:

I think that first gear with stock gearing and the flywheel weight are about perfect for the riding I do.

• Blue Man

Posted January 20, 2005 - 07:01 PM

I am more concerned with the increase in top end and the ability to still climb large steep hills. For this weekend I will use 14/47 instead of 15/50. It seams to not be a large concern for most because they ride MX on TT?

• jimmyg

Posted January 20, 2005 - 08:57 PM

14/47 works good for most everything for me not too tall for the tight handle bar squeezing stuff,stiill good top end & great on hills.but we dont have all the open space you have.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.