Battery on a XR600

8 replies to this topic
  • Fredda

Posted January 19, 2005 - 11:34 AM

I'm planning to put a battery on my XR600, but how will I do to manage the charging of it? As I know, The XR650L have a battery for the start engine, anyone knows if the same batterysollution will be able to fit onto a XR600?

(don't ask why, pics will be put up here when I'm finished with the modifications)

Tnx

• StevePSD

Posted January 19, 2005 - 04:20 PM

You will need a rectifier/voltage regulator to charge the battery. The current stator output is AC, which will work ok on AC current, but a battery will not.

You can buy them from Baja Designs or Ricky Stator for around $40.

Are you planning to convert the bikes electrical system to DC? On my XR600 I am running a 200Watt Ricky Stator. This has two seperate AC coils of 100watts each. I run the headlight off one AC coil. The other AC coil is run thru the rectifier/voltage regulator/battery so the rest of the bike is DC. I'll switch this to all DC when I get a headlight on/off switch (I have to be able to have the taillight lit for a minimum of 15 minutes with the engine off and my battery would not support the headlight being on as well). I'll then connect both stator lighting coils together and have a single 200watt DC system.

Hope this helps.

• millydog

Posted January 20, 2005 - 11:57 AM

:cry: steve were did you position the battery on your xr 600 as i want to fit one to mine.cheers Gareth

• billmunson

Posted January 20, 2005 - 03:23 PM

My battery is about the size of 2 packs of smokes. It sits on top of the air box/snorkel removed/ under the seat .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • millydog

Posted January 20, 2005 - 04:25 PM

cheers bill there is not a lot of room under there but i will give it a go.thanks Gareth

• StevePSD

Posted January 20, 2005 - 06:59 PM

I put my battery (a sealed lead-acid unit) in the rear fender bag, as a temporary measure to pass the lighting test. It's final resting place with either be under the air box, or possibly in the seat- cut a slot in he plastic base in the rear of the seat and place it there, horizontally. That area is not used - I don't sit that far back, nor do I have passengers.

I am looking at using either a Panasonic 12v 1.3Ah battery (3.82"l x 1.87"w x 1.97"h), model #LC-R121R3P or a Panasonic 12v 2.2Ah battery (6.97"l x 1.34"w x 2.36"h), model #LC-R122R2P.

These are available from digi-key http://dkc3.digikey....F/T051/1360.pdf
I have also seen similiar sized sealed lead-acid batterys used in radio-controlled cars.

Hope this helps.

• Fredda

Posted January 21, 2005 - 02:16 PM

Will the same method work for stock stator aswell?
Don't fell for paying much money for a 200w stator just to have a battery on the bike...

So lets see if I understood it right; first DC the currant for the battery and then just put the battery in? Don't it need a chargeingrelay(?)? The whole bike dont need to be DC, but I gues it would be simpler to have all the bike the same. The thing is that I'm going to put cold cathode/neon lights on it (I know, a bit corny but &%$#@!....)

• StevePSD

Posted January 21, 2005 - 06:33 PM

With the stock stator you could leave the headlight/taillight AC, just like they are now. You would then need to splice into the stator output lead and put the rectifier/voltage regulator in line, the DC output from the rectifier/voltage regulator would go to the battery and to power whatever DC devices you have. You will have to be careful not to exceede the capacity of the stock stator - which I believe is somewhere around 60-80 watts, depending on the year of the bike. Depending on the headlight you have, it uses anywhere from 35-55 watts.

Hope this helps.

• Fredda

Posted January 22, 2005 - 12:13 AM

So i don't need to use some more stuff like relays etc?? Just put the DC currant on the battery? Sounds great!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.