Tame the beast

26 replies to this topic
  • mxmedic162

Posted January 19, 2005 - 09:01 AM

I have an 04 YZ450F. Only about 1-2 hours on it. I would like to see if I can mellow it a bit. I know about gearing & fly wheel weights. But has anyone else got any suggestions.

Thanks

• Jetsprint2

Posted January 19, 2005 - 09:12 AM

I have an 04 YZ450F. Only about 1-2 hours on it. I would like to see if I can mellow it a bit. I know about gearing & fly wheel weights. But has anyone else got any suggestions.

Thanks

Fly wheel weight is about your only remedy as far as smoothing out the hit, otherwise learn how to use it and hold on. :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2005 - 09:18 AM

The YZ450 flywheel is extremely light. Use either the Dr. D 6 or 8 oz., or the GYT-R off-road wheel if you want more.

Mine is geared 15/49, which is the same as a 14/46, but I couldn't get TAG rear sprocket in 46 without custom ordering when I bought it, so I went that way.

The FMF Power Bomb header will also help by broadening the power curve, even on the stock muffler. None of this is really going to make it "mellow", though.

Dr D will also modify your exhaust cam timing to move the power up away from the bottom a little, something like an '05, if you want to go that way. Or, you could use a WR exhaust cam if you really want to take it down a notch. You cannot re-time the stock exhaust to WR specs without running into trouble with the timing of the decomp mechanism. Advancing the cam that much would result in there being an excess of cranking compression.

Actually, if you give it a while and learn some throttle control, you might find that you kind of like having a "beast". :cry:

• mxmedic162

Posted January 19, 2005 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the response. I like the bike. But at 44 years old. I like thinks a little smoother.

• mxmedic162

Posted January 19, 2005 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for the response. But at 44 years old I like things a little smoother. I am trying to stay away from the fly wheel. I like the engine braking. I know changing the fly wheel will cause a loss there. I do only MX. in th eold guy class. I am just worried when I get tired the bike may be too much. I guess it is time to work out!!!!

• thumpinberry

Posted January 19, 2005 - 10:19 AM

hey i ride a 03 450f and im a 44 yr old wantabee mxr, had my bike since 1st of dec and coming off of a wr250f i didnt know if i could handle it ,handnt got to ride it but about 3 times on a but im getting used to it.

• FFRacing79

Posted January 19, 2005 - 10:19 AM

You could try richening up the jetting some...this will knock some of the snot out of it.

• thumpinberry

Posted January 19, 2005 - 10:23 AM

hey ffracing 79 where are you in tenn

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 19, 2005 - 12:03 PM

Try the wr set up. You know put the restictive silencer on it and the rest of the stuff. That will shut her down real quick!

• John_Lorenz

Posted January 19, 2005 - 12:06 PM

get a rekluse Clutch

You will never think twice

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jdd123

Posted January 19, 2005 - 01:30 PM

I think you could put a promoto billet insert on the muffler and then use the quiet insert. That would weaken it.

You don't want to hear this, however, gearing is the easiest way to go. My YZ has a very tall 1st gear. The bike hates to go slow and you have to clutch a lot in tighter stuff. The WR transmission has a much lower 1st gear that makes the bike more rideable when you want to crawl. So, I guess you could put a WR transmission on it for a lot more money than a front sprocket.

The flywheel weight is another alternative, but you have to open the bike to do it.

Another option is to go with a 18 inch wheel on the back instead of the 19. That would slow it down a bit.

Lastly, you could try a Vortex ignition that has 10 various selections from traction to performance. I found the differences subtle (as I am pretty dense) but there is a noticeable difference between the extremes of traction and performance. It has a switch so you can swap between two maps. I used the traction to go up hill and the performance when on flat open places.

I don't know your riding history or what you want in a bike so I will make a guess. If you are new or coming back from a long time ago, two hours is not enough time to get familiar with the bike. Give it a few months of intense practice.

Smaller bike? I wouldn't suggest to go down to a smaller bike. I worked up to this bike from an XT to a WR250, etc. Once you get used to the power, the other bikes will not be the same. Plus, you already spent the money on your bike and trade in will only drain more. You have nothing to loose. Try a one tooth smaller front sprocket and practice. It is $6+ and less than 20 minutes to install. If it doesn't work, then try the other more expensive options.

• SureBlue

Posted January 19, 2005 - 02:00 PM

get a rekluse Clutch

You will never think twice

He said:
"I am trying to stay away from the fly wheel. I like the engine braking. I know changing the fly wheel will cause a loss there. I do only MX."

JLo, do you get paid by Rekluse? I have seen you answer like 100 times this way.
Some may like the feel of a MX-bike with A CLUTCH, not the PW-feel.

mxmedic, just ride your bike more, you'll get used to it. I'm 44 too. :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2005 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the response. I like the bike. But at 44 years old. I like thinks a little smoother.

Think how I feel at 55! :cry: If I can you can. :cry:

The flywheel won't cost much in the way of engine braking at all, really. The rekluse clutch is a slipper type auto clutch. If you like engine braking, you won't want one of those.

The WR cam would drop about 6-8 hp for around $120.

• FFRacing79

Posted January 19, 2005 - 03:01 PM

hey ffracing 79 where are you in tenn

SE of memphis

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 19, 2005 - 05:45 PM

He said:
"I am trying to stay away from the fly wheel. I like the engine braking. I know changing the fly wheel will cause a loss there. I do only MX."

JLo, do you get paid by Rekluse? I have seen you answer like 100 times this way.
Some may like the feel of a MX-bike with A CLUTCH, not the PW-feel.

mxmedic, just ride your bike more, you'll get used to it. I'm 44 too. :cry:

Thank god! Another guy who still uses a clutch! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• MXof21

Posted January 19, 2005 - 05:58 PM

I'm 51 a ride/race MX, I have an 03 450F and I went with a 6oz flywheel weight and noticed no difference in compression breaking. I also installed the baffle someone else spoke of, I figured it had more power than I needed so why not quire it down a bit. I love the bike, you always have all the power you need to clear jumps right out of corners, for me it's great because I suck in the corners.

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted January 19, 2005 - 07:23 PM

Get a Rekluse- and yes before you ask, I still have plenty of engine braking dialed in on my bike.

My 04 YZ 450 is a screaming bear of a bike just like everyone else's. I considered the WR Tranny swapout, heavier flywheel, cam swap, and even diesel fuel, but settled on what I considered the best action step for me.I am completely happy with the way my Rekluse feels and performs both in the woods and on the track.

Dirty

• rookie517

Posted January 22, 2005 - 04:53 AM

i rode the 2004 YZ450F yesterday
and it is totally a beast!! :cry:

i consider myself a small bore pilot which i own a YZ125 :cry:

the weight, the aggressive instant power really shows me what the modern 450cc mx thumper can do. :cry:

after a couples of laps on the big thumper, i learnt the way to ride it fast is be smooth on throttle.

:cry:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• RAMARION

Posted January 24, 2005 - 07:16 PM

Re-gear to 15-47 and don't look back :cry:

Enjoy :cry:

• Goosedog

Posted January 24, 2005 - 07:36 PM

I'm 45 years old and riding an '02 YZ426 in the woods. I came off a DRZ400 so the hit at the bottom end of this YZ really woke me up. I decided to go with the weighted flywheel and now I have a much tamer beast for my liking.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.