Anyone here drive a street legal WR450 in CA?

30 replies to this topic
  • ETP

Posted January 23, 2005 - 09:26 AM

And Arny's from the land of KTM's!!!
When I got my bike in 2003 I decided to get to the bottom of it and started making phone calls to CARB, DMV, etc. I was willing at the time to find out how to make the WR comply and spend the money to do it. It got complicated with conflicting stories. A lawyer at corporate Yamaha USA told me that California's original intention years ago was to restrict MX bikes to closed track due to noise and fire hazards. Then the greenies got involved and an emissions standard was set. A bogus standard. He told me that the major bike manufacturers were lobbying to set a federal standard based on noise and fire restrictions and do away with the emission criteria. The greenies lobbying are bogging the process.
Got to stop talking about it, my blood pressures going up :cry: :cry:

• catfish

Posted January 25, 2005 - 02:59 PM

If you do, I'd like to hear how you came about it, any difficulties in licensing you had to go through and if you're glad you did so, or not..... I'm looking to somehow do the same, find one, buy out of state, etc. Please share.

One technique requires a dealer to *accidently* place your New WR registration in the street pile vs. the OHV pile when they take the paperwork to the DMV, and then hope the clerk doesn't notice it. This way its a STREET BIKE from day one, and its VIN # is NEVER in the CA. OHV database. Please realize that you will need to be VERY CLOSE FRIENDS with a dealer for them to even acknowledge this possibility, let a lone help you do it. Its ILLEGAL, but it does happen occasionally.

Good luck,
Catfish ...

• qadsan

Posted January 25, 2005 - 03:48 PM

I don't believe there aren't any laws on the California books that require street bikes to have steel lined tanks and I believe this is just another urban legend. I have never been able to find a single shred of evidence about metal tanks being required in California and I've talked to numerous people in the industry, local and federal law enforcement, the department of transportation, etc. When it comes right down to the nitty gritty, nobody I’ve ever talked with has ever been able to prove this is as a fact. I've heard about people getting tickets for plastic tanks, but nobody has ever been able provide me any evidence of the ticket itself or the law it cites, etc. This issue has always ended up as heresay whenever I've looked into it. The Harley Davidson V-Rod is sold from the showroom floor with a plastic fuel tank and so are other various street street bikes such as Aprillas, Huskey's, KTM's, etc.

Here's a link to the 2004 California Vehcile Code. I've spent many hours in the past digging through the California Vehicle Code and the Department of Transportation web site, etc, and never once found anything about metal or steel lined tanks being required for street bikes in California. If anyone here knows of a valid and legal reference that lists steel tanks as being a requirment for a street bike in California, please let me know, otherwise you may want to chalk it up as an urban legen and never worry about it again.

http://www.dmv.ca.go...op/vc/vctoc.htm

• WheelsUp

Posted January 25, 2005 - 04:51 PM

I don't believe there aren't any laws on the California books that require street bikes to have steel lined tanks and I believe this is just another urban legend.

Be that as it may, all of the D/S bikes at the dealers have steel tanks, other than, as you said, a few select street bikes.

I'm wondering if the concern isn't static buildup at the gas station?

• qadsan

Posted January 25, 2005 - 08:09 PM

I think there's a number of concerns and static could certainly be an issue, but if the fuel nozzle is constantly touching the tank while fueling, then the possibility of charge buildup would be minimal. Other possible contributing reasons that plastic tanks might not have been too common could be due to outgassing, which may present both environmental concerns and aesthetic issues. Many street bike folks are concerned about the looks of their bikes, the graphics or paint, etc, and they probably wouldn't be too happy if their tank decals peeled off and this might be especially true for the guys who ride their bikes to and from work and leave them sitting in the hot sun parked on asphault. I just don't know for certain and I'm only speculating on why plastic tanks haven't been more commonly used, but I can't find any laws on the California books that prohibit their use or make them illegal in any way and nobody has ever been able to prove to me otherwise even though I've challenged many folks in hopes of finding some facts to prove otherwise. A local former motor officer whose now an observation officer that lived down the street from me used to also tell me steel tanks were required, but he too could never find any laws or statutes in California that prohibit them and he ran this issue up the flag pole at the station trying to find info, but never could.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpinTed

Posted February 18, 2005 - 03:43 PM

Just a side note I bought a 2000 wr in CA and from the dealer, NCY, it was registered for the street,and had a green sticker issued. the dmv would not allow me to have dual reg unless I PNO one of them, and this is really bizzare, I got a refund check from the dmv with a letter stating I have a clean air vehicle.

• GasAHolic

Posted February 18, 2005 - 06:33 PM

Just a side note I bought a 2000 wr in CA and from the dealer, NCY, it was registered for the street,and had a green sticker issued. the dmv would not allow me to have dual reg unless I PNO one of them, and this is really bizzare, I got a refund check from the dmv with a letter stating I have a clean air vehicle.

Questions :) TTed: When did you buy it (not clear)? Also, what's the dealer's name (NCY?), and what's a PNO?

Pretty cool on the refund too. :p Kinda like the state politics...just don't make any sense, right!? Here I've got a new, green sticker, CARB certified bike and it doesn't matter, they won't let me register it!!! :)

• Gadsen

Posted February 18, 2005 - 07:37 PM

We need to get those laws changed about steel tanks! :)
They have had plastic tanks on cars for years now!
If they dont I just may go in the business of making DOT steel lined plastic gas tanks of Kaliforniastan! :)

Indy, I think its the emission thing with the HC's (hydrocarbons) seeping through the plastic, but your right, all new cars are all coming with plastic tanks now. I'd bet the right plastic for a tank would work. Or same tank with a platic liner inside of it. This would be a real money maker. Be nice if Clarke, IMS and the others got on the stick now!

• CharlesFP

Posted February 19, 2005 - 12:15 AM

After reading this, and knowing how many people in California want to dual sport their dirtbikes, I don't understand why the bike manufacturers haven't made a capable dual sport street legal bike. There is obviously a tremendous market for them.
Even if the manufacturers want to stay away from a good dual sport, why isn't their some niche manufacturer customizing motocross bikes and having them registered under section 580 as SPCNS vehicles? From my understanding, that is how all those chopper outfits make their custom bikes legal. I see those bikes all over the place, and they don't seem to have to comply with any emissions, noise or safety regulations. If you read that code, it would be safe to assume that most of our WR's are custom vehicles now anyway, as they are no longer the same set of original OEM parts. I bet that it would be pretty easy to get a bike registered, as I doubt the DMV has anybody working for them that is a bike expert. I just can't understand why nobody is cashing in on this demand in California yet. Jesse James should start a line of West Coast Dirt Choppers.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 19, 2005 - 08:37 AM

Here I've got a new, green sticker, CARB certified bike and it doesn't matter, they won't let me register it!!! :)

This is my gripe too...

To all: Make no mistake about it, it's about
TOTAL ELIMINATION of dirtbikes period...

Indy, you can stop with your "Kalifornistan"... We get it okay? Give it a rest and worry about the beautiful state of Indiana.. :)

• qadsan

Posted February 19, 2005 - 01:39 PM

...I don't understand why the bike manufacturers haven't made a capable dual sport street legal bike. There is obviously a tremendous market for them...

One year :)

Before the end of 2006, I think you'll begin to see more capable dual sport bikes trickle into the showrooms. Just wait and see :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.