Wanting to get a 4-stroke. WR vs KTM?

29 replies to this topic
  • Oouthere

Posted January 21, 2005 - 02:09 PM

Just a few more cents to throw-in.

I ride a '04 WR450F and have ridden the 400exc. The exc feels much more nimble but the suspension was harsh. Also, there wasn't much to compare in power, the WR eat's a lot of lunches.

Rich

• trav

Posted January 21, 2005 - 02:17 PM

I definitely like the power better on the WR, more of a 2-stroke snap.

Handling I give to the KTM.

Suspension I give to the WR, but the KTM probably could be on the same level with some revalving.

reliability I think are both on par with each other.

ergonomics of the ktm are outstanding (IMO) and will feel much smaller in the woods than the WR. the KTM ergos take some getting use to, initially they feel weird.

the best thing to do is get sufficient seat time on both bikes. 15-30 minutes won't do. so many people jump on a bike for 5-10 minutes and claim they don't like it, I've been guilty of it myself. you need to spend a good few hours to a day really to get the feel of the bike and become use to it.

• dirtpumpernick

Posted January 23, 2005 - 06:22 PM

i own a 2004 wr450. i dont know what riding conditions your in but in s.w. missouri the wr is lacking in power. ive installed a yz cam kit and yz needle and also cliped gray wire under tank. the bike now is something to ride.
i ride with a guy who owns a 2004 ktm 525 exc and after ridind today i let him ride my wr and he really wishes he would of bought one. if you decide to buy the wr ride one first. i was dissapointed.the bike now is the best bike ive rode in the woods buy far after the mods ive done. keep in mind that ktm parts are high and hard to get. the suspension is far better than the ktm in my riding skills. keep in mind also that i have only spent $150.00 on the mods to the wr and it will out perform even the 525exc. thats no bull.....

• elton

Posted January 24, 2005 - 04:30 AM

i own a 2004 wr450. i dont know what riding conditions your in but in s.w. missouri the wr is lacking in power. ive installed a yz cam kit and yz needle and also cliped gray wire under tank. the bike now is something to ride.

Did you remove the airbox snorkel, the restrictive exhaust baffle and shorten the throttle-stop?

Elton

• smithpa68

Posted January 24, 2005 - 04:34 AM

You might want to try out www.ktmtalk.com as well. Yes they are KTM biased over there but I posted the same exact question over there. Here is the thread.

http://ktmtalk.com/i...showtopic=91997

Also, from reading over there.. it seems that the maintenance on a KTM is higher, but they seem to think it is much easier than on a WR. The valve train is not the shim and bucket mechanism so it should be easier. Also, they say you can do the valve checks without taking off the radiators completely. Just loosen them and move them aside a little. I don't know for sure. I haven't owned either bike. But I am in the same boat right now. Trying to decide betweent he WR450 and the 450EXC is pretty tough.

The KTM feels so good when sitting on it in the dealer. I can't find an 05 WR450 in my area so I went looking at the KTM. I am reading everything I can on both of these bikes right now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elton

Posted January 24, 2005 - 10:22 AM

Also, from reading over there.. it seems that the maintenance on a KTM is higher, but they seem to think it is much easier than on a WR. The valve train is not the shim and bucket mechanism so it should be easier. Also, they say you can do the valve checks without taking off the radiators completely. Just loosen them and move them aside a little. I don't know for sure. I haven't owned either bike. But I am in the same boat right now. Trying to decide betweent he WR450 and the 450EXC is pretty tough.

I want to get another WR450 class bike by summer (to migrate my son to a larger bike). I thought I would get the KTM525 simply because I already have a 05 WR450 and it would be nice to have a variant ride option.

However, I have also been reading hear and on KTMtalk and the stories of parts falling off the KTM, bolts falling out, brakes locking, earlier maintenance intervals, suspension issues, etc., gives me pause since I don't have a local dealer and I'm not a mechanic.

Also, from what I've read, I don't really discern any power advantage from the KTM525 over a uncorked WR450 and the lower seat height is not that compelling to me.

Elton

• Treebanger

Posted January 24, 2005 - 11:48 AM

Top end will be better with 6th gear of the KTM , but who rides in 6th Mid range hit I'll give to the highter revx 450 WR . Both are good bikes, my choice would be blue but only because of the engine drag from the 525 ( reciprocaling mass) very tiring on the down shift .

• schoulos

Posted January 24, 2005 - 03:22 PM

I have the KTM 250 exc with the HT Racing 351 kit, and an '03 WR 450, with all the free mods and then some. I like the KTM better. It feels lighter, handles better, has more xtras (wave rotors, brembo brakes, hydrolic clutch, among others).

• elton

Posted January 25, 2005 - 04:24 AM

Top end will be better with 6th gear of the KTM , but who rides in 6th Mid range hit I'll give to the highter revx 450 WR . Both are good bikes, my choice would be blue but only because of the engine drag from the 525 ( reciprocaling mass) very tiring on the down shift .

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my WR450's 5th gear; I can go about as fast as I want over uncertain terrain in 4th and keep my power/revs up -- the bike is really fast, wish I were near a desert :cry:

Actually, I had hoped that the KTM525 used that extra gear on the low side.

Elton

• Some Dude

Posted January 25, 2005 - 11:02 AM

I got back into dirt last spring and picked up a 98 KTM 620 EXC that had practically never seen dirt. Absolutely fell in love with the bike and then all the guys here at work got into the dirt scene as well. After riding a buddies WR400 I decided to find a 400 WR or YZF to have as a buddy bike. After reading boards like this, I was kind of dissappointed with the punch of a YZF400 with a brand new motor and tuned by the best YZ guy in the area. I got real spoiled with my KTM620. The power difference and the ability to get out of a bind on that KTM has been far superior to my YZ400. Now I think a much more fair comparison would be a 2000-2001 KTM 400 SXC/LC4 that was electric start and very very reliable as well as low maintenance like the WR400. I would definitely take a KTM400 SXC/LC4 over a WR400/426. The KTM does come with a better suspension, handlebars, controls, electrics and powder coated frame and engine to boot. I just wish they kept bringing the 400 LC4 over, however I believe they discontinued after 2001 for the US market. My KTM620 is very reliable and easy to work on. Yeah oil changes cost 3-4 times as much, but I truly believe the motor will last 4 times as long too. This is not so true with the MXC KTM line as they are higher maintenance and less reliable, any good KTM parts/service guy should confess to that when compared to their LC4 line.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.